Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: transitions between adventurer and fortress mode  (Read 685 times)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
transitions between adventurer and fortress mode
« on: February 23, 2018, 08:43:04 am »

So I know it is possible to retire a fortress, visit it with an adventurer, retire the adventurer, then unretire the fortress and have the adventurer there (I assume in the tavern) is it possible to start an adventurer in a fortress?  I have an idea for a successsion game and I am curious if it is possible, it would involve a sucession of forts and adventurers in the same world, bound by a common thread of adventurers starting or ending their careers in forts and carrying the story between them.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: transitions between adventurer and fortress mode
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 08:59:53 pm »

You can unretire an adventurer from a fort, I think. You can definitely generate a new adventurer from a retired fort, but they are created out of thin air.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 09:10:42 pm »

If you join the fortress before you retire (as a soldier or entertainer) your adventurer will start off as a regular citizen, which is helpful.

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 01:46:17 pm »

You can unretire an adventurer from a fort, I think. You can definitely generate a new adventurer from a retired fort, but they are created out of thin air.

Are they citizens of the fort? Can they get drafted into the military? Assigned skills?
I don't think I've seen anyone take advantage of creating a fort fill of super-dwarves.
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 07:28:57 pm »

Are they citizens of the fort? Can they get drafted into the military? Assigned skills?
I don't think I've seen anyone take advantage of creating a fort fill of super-dwarves.
Since you chose to ignore the last reply in this thread, I'll repeat myself:
If you join the fortress before you retire (as a soldier or entertainer) your adventurer will start off as a regular citizen, which is helpful.

That's what as a regular citizen means. The same as a dwarf fortress regular citizen. Skills and everything else. Not sure how to make that any clearer.

Not used often because retire bugs are kind of frustrating right right now.

If you don't do this, they'll start as visitors unless they were actually citizens of your civ, in which case they may actually become citizens (I think), but that limits your starting pool quite a bit if you're looking for a super-fortress.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 07:40:40 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 02:38:35 am »

You need a captain of the guard or mayor to join a fortress fortress when you retire, so I think that means the population as to be at 50 (if I remember correctly).  If you simply retire your adventurer at the fortress the *may* also join of their own accord (I've seen it happen), but it is not guaranteed.

I've played a game where I got a captain of the guard and then I made an adventurer who travelled from the mountain home in order to join the fortress.  After joining the fortress (if you want to be a guard, you need to make some notable kills, BTW), I had him training for most of the time.  A year later I retired the fortress and had him adventure again.  The cool thing about this is that because he had a good reputation before joining the fortress, he was able to recruit people *in the fortress* to join him (only people who are on active duty and not nobles will join, so put the people you are interested in into a squad and have them be training before you retire the fortress).  Unfortunately, my adventurer died (somehow goblins got hold of some steel equipment... I'm still not sure how).  I then started a new adventurer from the fortress and immediately retired (well, she was in a tree, so I got her out of the tree first).  Because she was a citizen already, she was a member of the fortress when I unretired.  I put her to training again.  Unfortunately she died in a goblin siege.  I did it a couple more times, but eventually got bored.

I've been meaning to do it in the new version, but haven't had time to play at all.  The most cool thing about doing this was that I was able to be really involved in the outside history.  Because I sent out an adventurer every year, I could go to towns and see the aftermath of armies, etc, etc.  I was even able to defeat the leader of one army (albeit by accident -- I noticed a goblin in a destroyed town.  I walked up to him and asked his profession.  My companion cut off his head before he could answer.  Later I noticed in legends mode that he had led the raid on the town.)  I think this would be even more fun mixing it up with raids and searches for artifacts.

Anyway, it's super fun.  I highly recommend it -- and if you like fortress mode, it's an easy way to avoid grinding adventurer stats -- just play the game normally and allow them to train.  The problem, of course, is living with the fortress unretire problems.  The main problems are endless random merchants, goblins, etc joining your fortress; items that are unmoveable and unownable (usually you can clear the status if you try to build something on the spot and the dwarf moves the item in the process); clearing all your manager tasks; all your items being removed from their containers (including alcohol! make sure you have a way to easily kickstart brewing); beds not working unless you completely reassign all of them; and tens or hundreds of visitors who are marked "hostile", but are anything but (mostly you just have RP an excuse to kill them off -- eventually I had a pet were beast that I set loose to aggro/kill everybody... it was "fun").

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 04:10:05 am »

I believe the militia commander can also let you join the military. And then the expedition leader can takes
 you on as an entertainer (I think).

And, yeah, it's great fun. I make it a prerequisite for picking up animal-man sized armour to serve a couple of years in the fortress military first.

Would love to see another shot at clearing unretire bugs before the Big Wait.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:11:37 am by Shonai_Dweller »

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 03:44:55 am »

Certainly that would get my vote, but I completely understand that there may be other things that are higher on the priority list.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 03:53:13 am »

Certainly that would get my vote, but I completely understand that there may be other things that are higher on the priority list.
Sure. And the frequent presence of merchants probably implies it won't be fully fixed until the damn things are ripped out of the code and replaced by something that actually works. Which'd be save breaking no doubt, so perhaps won't happen for a while.

Never mind, current focus for Fortress and Adventurer is on interacting with the outside world as violently as possible. Which is fine too. Peace, real merchants and unretire bugs will be here one day.