Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poetic forms and examples  (Read 2307 times)

Howando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Poetic forms and examples
« on: March 01, 2018, 09:51:27 am »

I really like how DF now exposes all the procedurally generated cultural stuff.  I never used to care about that stuff in games, never been one for following the lore or playing them thematically, but I started to find it kind of fascinating.  I think it's because I like the idea of defining new concepts that arise through computer models, rather than 'just' a story made up by a writer.

I was looking through the poetic forms in my world and although some of them are very complex, I thought some of them looked fun.  So...

The Cardinal Reticence is a poetic riddle concerning the future. The poem is a single couplet. Use of consonance is characteristic of the form. A form of parallelism is common throughout the poem, in that certain lines have similar grammatical structures. The first line is intended to express grief over the subject of the poem. It has five syllables. The second line is intended to console the audience. It has eight syllables.

- Desserts
Jam roly-poly!
We don't have to eat it solely.

- Not Too Soon
Worn, sore, tired and poor.
Make them happy: Forsaken War.

- Oh, wait
I see it coming!
I see it is not that fright'ning.

- Magma
Donald Trump has won;
He can't undo all that's been done.

I also had a go at
The Soaked Oceans is a reflective poetic form intended to describe rivers, originating in The Hazy Oaks. The form guides poets during improvised performances. The poem is two quatrains. Use of consonance is characteristic of the form. A form of parallelism is common throughout the poem, in that certain lines use the same placement of allusions. Every line of the poem has a terminal caesura. The rhyme scheme of the poem is ABAA.

- River of Life
Forever downwards it does flow
As it ambles from the peaks
Formed from freshly melted snow
With rocks and mud and silt in tow

In low lands it will drop the cargo
As it ambles ever on
And each man and dwarf will know
Our fate is to become old and slow

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Poetic forms and examples
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 10:39:27 am »

Now write the poems in dwarvish using the words from language_dwarf.txt and you'll have reached true memery level.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Howando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 10:48:10 am »

Now write the poems in dwarvish using the words from language_dwarf.txt and you'll have reached true memery level.
I like the haiku.
No need to learn Japanese
to use its structure :P

Howando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 09:26:05 am »

- Thunen Igėr

Igėr imrur   
įgonol ilrom
kalal ushal-udar