Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well and grate  (Read 2408 times)

PIB76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well and grate
« on: February 24, 2018, 01:28:46 pm »

Hi all,
I read somewhere that I can bulid grate below a well to prevent enemies come in. But when I do so the well is not working. Maybe bucket cannot pass the grate?
Thanks!

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Well and grate
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 07:29:23 pm »

Yep, bucket does not go through grate (same as real life).

LtGreeneyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 01:46:28 pm »

You put the grate in the water tunnel leading to the well, not directly below the well.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 04:34:37 pm »

You put the grate in the water tunnel leading to the well, not directly below the well.

That's all well and grate, but how do you get the grate built there and release the water without somebody getting drowned?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 06:51:12 pm »

That's all well and grate, but how do you get the grate built there and release the water without somebody getting drowned?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Pressure#Safe_well

DoctorDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 12:30:54 am »

Also, floodgates connected to levers work wonders for water control. Strongly recommended testing your setup and removing any loose items from the channel before you introduce any water to it though. It's quite annoying to accidentally flood a fort because some boulder is blocking your floodgate.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 12:46:42 am »

Also, floodgates connected to levers work wonders for water control. Strongly recommended testing your setup and removing any loose items from the channel before you introduce any water to it though. It's quite annoying to accidentally flood a fort because some boulder is blocking your floodgate.
I use bridges instead of floodgates -- can't be wrecked by building destroyers, cannot be jammed with items, and has the same response time.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

DoctorDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 09:20:24 pm »

I use bridges instead of floodgates -- can't be wrecked by building destroyers, cannot be jammed with items, and has the same response time.
Mechanically that's way better yeah. From a story perspective, I personally prefer to use floodgates to control floods. The fact they're not as perfect for the task as bridges (potential for blockages and break-ins by monsters at less-than-ideal times) creates a good opportunity for a story.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 05:56:47 am »

You could use a pump instead in a shaft to have the well lower the bucket to the first block of water it should meet then put the grate underneath that to be safe.

In my diagram a pump stack liquid ladder is carrying  water, even if there were enemies were able to get into the well shaft (like say you've got a floodgate somewhere to dump contaminated water for fresh ones at the bottom of the well like a sink plug and they broke through that), the grate protects it and the pump room can be shielded. You might incorporate this design into a reservoir of some kind. The impassable block of the screw pump will prevent a flow of water spilling over the sides if properly sealed and any design changes to adjust the height of the accessible water & stack can be carried out.

= + =
= + =
= + &&
= + ==WWWW&&
= G ========WWWW
= W ========WWWW
============WWWW

(=) wall (+) empty space (G) grate (&&) pumpstack (W)water (0) is the well