Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: A succession world  (Read 8120 times)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A succession world
« on: February 24, 2018, 04:10:48 pm »

So the idea came to me to have a succession game which includes more than one fort.  The rules would be that a player could either continue the story of the existing fort or retire it and start a new one, and generate an adventurer in the first fort and narrate his or her adventures to reach the new fort, the next player would then tell the story of that fort, from the perspective of another resident.  I am thinking one week turns, those who wish to play in pure fort mode would advance the fort one year, those who wish to play an adventurer would tell a little about each forts state, as the adventurer leaves one and arrives at the other, and tell us the story of the adventurers journey.  Adventurers could also leave one established fort to travel to another that already exists, with the next player running that fort for a time. 

All giant animals are exotic pets and exotic mounts. Otherwise it is vanilla.

Turn 1 Babylon Started the fortress of RackAbbey in the Murk of Odors,  a fort from the permanent city, in the shadow of a necromancer tower
Turn 2 Bearskie Set out to preserve Kobolds, made friends with giant spiders.
Turn 3 Sanctume Started the fortress of TalonBlade, a fort of the sword of talons, in an attempt to escape the political intrigue and conflict of the home civilization
Turn 4 Cathar Embarked on an adventure as Pado StyleAmused, one of the last members of the human civilization, the equal nation.
Turn 5 Baffler Life got in the way
Turn 6 Imic
Turn 7 Available

Graphics are Phoebus 16x game version is 44.07
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:23:52 pm by Babylon »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: A succession world
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 12:59:44 am »

I don't mind taking a turn.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 10:44:35 am »

I'm interested.  Put me on a list as I am on another list expecting a turn soon.
I prefer the use to LNP change to a non-asii set for my turn, and re-save back to ascii. 

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 04:18:06 pm »

I think if you're going to do something with exotic pets, give the dwarven civilization the tag the elves have that let them tame any animal. I forget what it is exactly, but it's something like [USE_ANY_ANIMAL], which give their civ access to any animals in their area.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 06:45:24 pm »

3 interested people (counting me) sounds like enough to start.  I'll do year one, next will be Bearskie, and then Sanctume.

The point of the giant animals being exotic pets isn't just so the fortress can have them, it's also so that invading goblins and humans can have them.  That's why I included the exotic mount tag, I believe that allows goblins to ride them. 

I'll post the starting 7 and the embark shortly, anyone who would like to be dorfed let me know. 

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 07:27:14 pm »

I'd like a turn pretty please :D

I'll probably go and adventure around the fort as I have no confidence in my ability to not screw up everything in fort mode
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 07:31:50 pm by Cathar »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 10:48:17 pm »

What sort of world are you planning to gen, btw?

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 11:11:03 pm »

Dorfs

WyldKat Bankcrafted, Unicorn Handler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mr Touchwhipped, the trader, lover of the cook
Mr Dreamstour, the tanner
Ms Helmguilt The Boss
Mr Voicemined The Farmer
Babylon Virginroom Aspiring Necromancer
Ms Razorcrafts, cook, lover of Mr Touchwhipped
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:24:48 pm by Babylon »

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 11:18:52 pm »

What sort of world are you planning to gen, btw?

Large region, high variability of sites.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 11:47:15 pm »

Aspiring necromancer you say... Can't we now go on missions to retrieve necromantic slabs from towers? Or can we not do that for whatever reason? It would be great to see if we can turn our warriors into necromancers, and see how the game handles zombies being created during an off site fight.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 12:38:05 am »

The game starts in Slate, the 234th year of the age of myth

Our narrator for the first year, Babylon Virginrooms a dwarven woman of 59, the only volunteer who mentioned the neighbors as a reason for joining up.  She's worked as a carpenter and her friends and family say she can brew a decent Dwarven ale but her true talent is music.  She's achieved legendary proficiency with both the ebal and the megob.  She dreams of creating a great work of art and that great work of art is a piece of music capable of waking the dead.  She learns, while performing at the festival of attics in Salvenourished that the Ochre Cacti, a community of Dwarven scholars living in the tower PagedCircles, has managed this.  The tower is a bit outside the mountains of the Eternal city, in an extremely odorous swamp known as the murk of odors.  fan of the music of the sweet tulip and the dramatic performances of the humourous troughs.  The Megob does not appear to be something we are capable of building, maybe I can acquire one from an elf or something of the sort.  She managed to sign on with an expedition from Gildtin that was setting up in the swamp to allow a group known as the Furnace of Rasping a chance to strike out on their own. 

The first thing I did was tear the cart apart that brought us here so we could recover the wood from it, the cart was full of wood so I'm not sure why they wanted the cartwood, but I guess it is sometimes some strain of rare hardwood or another.  The wood in the cart was coffee, Wyldkat Bankcrafted, the woodcutter had just felled a fresh coffee tree and I reminded myself to separate the fresh wood from the seasoned stuff we had brought from GildTin when we set out.  I hadn't done carpentry work for a while and I realized I'd have to grow some new calluses, the wagon was full of Gabbro boulders and I let those fall when I pulled the stays, Ms Helmguilt, the mason and leader of the expedition, might have me haul those later, but until she asked I wasn't going to move them.  She and Mr Touchwhipped, the trader who's been all sweet on Ms Razorcrafts the cook, set to digging us a hole in the swamp.  Fortunately spring appears to be a relatively dry season, there hasn't been any flooding yet.  The soil is a nice white sand that should make lovely glass.  Nobody on the crew has any experience as an architect so I took on the job, since the trade depot will be made out of wood.  I used some Carambola that was fresh cut and I figured would intimidate any elves that came to trade.  I made sure there was sap dripping in a few spots.  Helmguilt and Touchwhipped carved a carpentry shop for me and a craft workshop next to it out of the roots of the same tree.  It was growing right up against a sizeable patch of water, I expect to be kind of damp at work, but I don't mind, this is the water that feeds the frogmen that become the zombie army of PagedCircles.  While I was building everyone else started hauling my logs in to stack up by the workshop.  I put a teawood door on the animal pasture, I figured it might help hold the smell.

26th of Slate we hit magma!  We just broke through into an underground cavern and it contained a deep pit that went all the way down to the magma sea.  This should make life much more civilized.   

We built a simple wooden wall and drawbridge, I used Coffee, which seems to be very plentiful here, for the wall and Citron for the drawbridge.  I expect the whole thing to get torn down and replaced by something fireproof, but for now it's easy to work with and everyone pitched in to help out. 

22nd Felsite: A giant anaconda crippled one of our dogs.  We might have them stay inside the wall.   We pulled the sheep and yaks in as well, while the moss grows in the pasture underground.  The yaks pulled the cart here, they are a bit hungry to live on moss so they might end up as roasts sometimes fairly soon.

Summer arrives, we don't have a lever hooked up to the drawbridge yet, or beds to sleep on or tables to eat at but we do have farms, a food storage room, and buildings to process farm crops. Helmguilt is working on carving out a masonry shop, a stone storage room, and the space for where the magma workshops will go in deep underground. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 01:42:41 am by Babylon »

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 12:39:03 am »

Aspiring necromancer you say... Can't we now go on missions to retrieve necromantic slabs from towers? Or can we not do that for whatever reason? It would be great to see if we can turn our warriors into necromancers, and see how the game handles zombies being created during an off site fight.

That was my hope.  We'll see how that goes. 

If anyone wants to be dorfed let me know which one you want. 

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 08:01:42 am »

"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 09:26:07 am »

Could you share the worldgen params? I'm planning something for my turn, but first I need to survey the local geography...

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 01:17:08 pm »

world gen parameters

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7