Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how do i locate a vault?  (Read 3909 times)

JadeToad

• Bay Watcher
  • Shells and rocks are cool!
    • View Profile
how do i locate a vault?
« on: February 25, 2018, 07:23:33 pm »

i really want to check one out, ive already reached hell in adventure mode, where can i find a vault?

Amorphage

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE] [FANCIFUL] [SLOW_LEARNER]
    • View Profile
Re: how do i locate a vault?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 08:39:16 pm »

Legends viewer can help with that!
Asides from that, the best I can say is to just sort of wander around.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 08:57:41 am »

Goto legends and write down the vault's name.

Then, make an Xml dump of your Legends (x button IIRC)

Open the .xml file and ctrl+f the name of the vault.
You'll get its coordinates in World view. NW corner being 1:1 or 0:0.
Then, try embarking in fort mode at these coordinates.
Use a fortress of 1x1, and when it says you can't embark, it means the vault is exactly there.

Kinda hard. But this is a 100% vanilla way.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 02:36:39 pm »

Legends viewer can help with that!
Asides from that, the best I can say is to just sort of wander around.

That's my go-to method all the time, though I didn't have any luck with my last attempt. The world spawned a vault in the center of HUGE mountain range, so I could only pinpoint it on the world map and not the local map. Best part was that the name was "Confused Searches". Even the gods mock me in this game...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 03:43:36 pm »

Goto legends and write down the vault's name.

Then, make an Xml dump of your Legends (x button IIRC)

Open the .xml file and ctrl+f the name of the vault.
You'll get its coordinates in World view. NW corner being 1:1 or 0:0.
Then, try embarking in fort mode at these coordinates.
Use a fortress of 1x1, and when it says you can't embark, it means the vault is exactly there.

Kinda hard. But this is a 100% vanilla way.
Vanilla DF provides the xml dump in order to open it in an external viewer (says so right on the vanilla screen). So using Legends Viewer to view your output is also the 100% vanilla way (and a lot easier than trying to traverse a massive xml dump).

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 05:27:47 am »

Of course, you can go to legends viewer and do all the aforementioned stuff. Or you can integrate the search into your adventure and make it interesting. Travel from village to village, asking everyone "About surrounding area". It might take a while, but eventually, some peasant in the middle of nowhere might tell you a legend of what's happened in a time before time...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 07:25:51 am »

Of course, you can go to legends viewer and do all the aforementioned stuff. Or you can integrate the search into your adventure and make it interesting. Travel from village to village, asking everyone "About surrounding area". It might take a while, but eventually, some peasant in the middle of nowhere might tell you a legend of what's happened in a time before time...
Do they reveal the location of vaults?
Recently I've had several peasants mention that there's trouble brewing with the neighbors due to their godlessness. A quick check revealed they were talking about the inhabitants of a vault. Didn't share it's location though.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 02:55:00 am »

Do they reveal the location of vaults?
Recently I've had several peasants mention that there's trouble brewing with the neighbors due to their godlessness. A quick check revealed they were talking about the inhabitants of a vault. Didn't share it's location though.

They will reveal the name of the vault site, which you can ask directions for. Take into account, that it takes quite a lot of asking 'about surroundings' - I generally have about 30-50 useless hamlets, forests and hills mentioned before something interesting comes along. This is fine since vaults contain what can be considered a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. Of course, the further the vault is from the NPC's hometown, the less is the chance they will talk about it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:59:25 am by Urist Sonuvagimli »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 08:30:14 am »

Fortress Mode allows you to see artifacts and their locations. If it's a vault slab, and it's in the middle of nowhere, there's your vault.

Best done with a duplicate gen of the world, with its history stopped as soon as possible to prevent creation of other artifacts.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.