Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recently started adventure mode but I find it lacking  (Read 2081 times)

Lioneez

• Bay Watcher
  • Challenged.
    • View Profile
Recently started adventure mode but I find it lacking
« on: February 27, 2018, 01:58:33 pm »

Hi there,

So I was playing adventure mode quite a lot recently, managed to raid 2 vaults rather easily by getting my Dwarf a vampire/werebeast curse and reading a necromancer slab before the raid funny enough as an elf which was hard with a wooden axe.
My reason for that was because as I was reading legends I found that the elfs and dwarfs dont get along in the world because I made them more aggressive with the raws, needless to say they were losing to the dwarf because of the armor type and quality disparity. so I decided to help them by making them the strongest elf I could make to make my fortress experience more challenging.
as I finished leveling my elf up all the while looking forward to the fortress adventure my plan fell on its face, in legends the elf apparently was killed by the dwarfs which had tons of steel weapons and armor which is way more reliable than wood.
this brings me to my problem, the dwarfs and humans have strong weapon materials, the goblins have there wicked beasts numbers and some metal weapons and armor, But what do elfs have to combat that?
recently also I remembered the time I was playing runescape which made me feel bad that dwarf fortress will never have that side of it to explore but more importantly in runescape they had wood types that were sometimes stronger than metal if you compared the level you needed to acquire those resources to create the goods.
I think that the elfs should have wood types weapons that would be equal if not greater than metal type weapons considering they are the weakest race there is.
Jest imagine they levels of mystery it will add to the game, for example elfs that bless trees and make weapons and armor from? of course it will need to be limited by the amount of blessing per year or the type of tree, there is soo much fun that can be drawn from that pesky race we all hate to deal with but lets admit, we love those elven skull thrones.
well what do you think?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recently started adventure mode but I find it lacking
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 04:14:50 pm »

I find natural archery and stealth skills help elves survive a bit more. I also have Dark Elves who along with the archery , grow a kind of bronze level metal to make bolts and swords with. They tend to do very well in worldgen compared to regular elves.

Magic will shake things up a lot I expect. For now, just mod your elves as you like.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 01:05:41 am »

Elves are most likely the wimpiest of creatures in the game so far, despite their (biological) immortality. You could try to give them access to a special type of wood that has better edge properties and is lighter and more durable.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Sharpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 06:44:23 am »

That being said, going into Legends for my current world has Elves slaughtering pretty much every other civ in warfare.
Maybe Elves are so sneaky they're hiding things from even the player.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 12:04:33 pm »

Elven strengh relies in numbers mostly. This is due to their immortality, like goblins. You can give them metal and magic powers, but if you do and don't take their immortality away, be prepared to have only elves left in your world :D

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 08:12:53 pm »

It is lacking because it is an alpha game that's less than 50% done. ;)
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 08:21:51 pm »

There's a whole buttload of mods you can install to add depth to Adventure Mode. Spellcrafts, for one.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 08:31:47 am »

It is lacking because it is an alpha game that's less than 50% done. ;)

I dont mean to be rude but is the only thing you ever post about passive-agressively reminding people that toady takes quite a while to do things and has planned decades ahead as a result?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 08:59:17 am »

I just find it obvious that it's lacking. There is no need for complaints about that.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 12:42:03 pm »

I'm inclined to agree with you. Adventure Mode's gradual degameification in the .30 releases really, really knocked out a great deal of the feeling of progression and fun in the world. Now, there's no real sense of accomplishment in monster hunting because you can just get missions to slay anything from anyone.

That being said, adventure mode can still be quite fun if you gen a long world. I reckon at least 600 years for a good history, with feuds and conflict between civs for you to explore.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 01:17:48 pm »

Adventure mode is pretty fun on larger worlds, but I find that vanilla doesn't really give you a reason to generate larger worlds - not enough variety in terms of races you'd encounter, and a lot of the randomized values and spheres of worship that humans have don't play that much into tangible gameplay effects at the moment; and also not a lot of variety in terms of megabeasts and predatory, hostile animals that you encounter.

Mods do alleviate that to a certain extent, but admittedly we're still in kind of the weird spot where the gameyness is mostly gone but also hasn't yet been replaced with anything.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 09:35:48 pm »

Mythgen will be worth it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 10:30:02 pm »

Mythgen will be worth it.
And there's villains, pets, mounts and commanding your own army to play with until then (if it all gets done).

Adventurer gets a little bit better each release. But it's going to be a long time until it gets to a point where it can generate a variety of real story-like chains every time you play. Fill in the gaps with imagination, browse Legends Viewer, explore the world.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 05:22:18 am »

Finding adv mode lacking? Play as human peasant,  recruit animal people as companions, don't use skill farming, don't get the vamp curse (necro is fine), try fighting a fire-breathing/web-slinging titan that is not made of filmsy stuff, try exploring the arctic.

If you got a boring world roll (i.e. no !FUN! monsters or powers) or chose to munchkin/glitch abuse your way through the game, then you've just wrought it onto yourself.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:24:11 am by Urist Sonuvagimli »