Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Be dwarves, dig holes, shoot bugs (Deep Rock Galactic)  (Read 3868 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Be dwarves, dig holes, shoot bugs (Deep Rock Galactic)
« on: February 28, 2018, 10:17:02 am »

This came out in Steam Early Access/Xbox Game Preview today.

Steam
The other place

Basically the subject. Be one of four dwarves with different abilities. Get shot off to a rock somewhere in a giant drill. Go mining for resources while defending your group from bugs.

I'm going to wait until work ends in about seven hours, hoping some good first impressions come out. I've seen some alpha footage but I'm curious what's changed since.

Note the two stores I linked. Windows Store purchasers (Windows 10 only, apparently) can play with Xbox players but not Steam players. Make your decisions accordingly.

Now go forth and squash bugs (or don't, I'm not your parental unit).

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Be dwarves, dig holes, shoot bugs (Deep Rock Galactic)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 11:58:31 am »

Saw this pop up on the Steam storepage, looked interesting. The terrain destruction/manipulation gave me some serious Astroneers vibes, and combining that with a sort of L4D/first-person-Alien-Swarm shooty co-op gameplay pushed a lot of good buttons in my interest lobe.

I can't play it, of course, but I can admire the shit out of it from afar!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 02:36:28 pm »

I heard about it a little while ago, I think it looks fantastic.  Definitely on my wishlist.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 08:51:28 pm »

Ptw. This looks good

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 09:33:39 am »

Judging from the Steam splash image, it would appear that space-dwarves have mastered the technology to make goggles that do everything. I mean, jesus, look at the size of those things...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 09:49:11 am »

But they have not yet discovered flame-retardant beard coatings.

Note that the only clean-shaven dwarf to start off is the one that can use the flamethrower.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 11:57:49 pm »

This game is awesome. I almost get Helldiver vibes from it, with the chaos and sometimes teamwork. Playing with a couple friends in this has been the highlight of my weekend.

Here's an excerpt I wrote to another friend to convince him to buy it:

"Last round I had the craziest escape I've ever had in any game. Rory/Vanr ditched me and my driller buddy for the escape pod and we forgot how to get back, and came up to a dead end. With enemies swarming from all directions my driller buddy just starts digging a hole straight to the escape pod. We're crammed in the tunnel and enemies swarm in. I'm tossing grenades and C4 and just piling lead on the entrance as they slowly creep up

Popped out the other side of the tunnel, the escape pod is swarmed as well and we just barely got through"
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Falknor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 11:52:45 am »

This game is awesome. I almost get Helldiver vibes from it, with the chaos and sometimes teamwork. Playing with a couple friends in this has been the highlight of my weekend.

Here's an excerpt I wrote to another friend to convince him to buy it:

"Last round I had the craziest escape I've ever had in any game. Rory/Vanr ditched me and my driller buddy for the escape pod and we forgot how to get back, and came up to a dead end. With enemies swarming from all directions my driller buddy just starts digging a hole straight to the escape pod. We're crammed in the tunnel and enemies swarm in. I'm tossing grenades and C4 and just piling lead on the entrance as they slowly creep up

Popped out the other side of the tunnel, the escape pod is swarmed as well and we just barely got through"

Played with a team from discord's Deep rock channel.  I had something close to that on one of the trips back to the dropship (exit). We also had one where we lost. Got swarmed and taken out.
I'll use Dwarven Logic. AKA Encrusting the problem with gems, beating an elf to death with it, and then throwing it into the volcano.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 05:29:03 pm »

Just casually super necroposting here to say this game is fantastic and it's going to be released May 13 so go play it. Or don't. It's cool and it has dwarves in space.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 04:57:30 am »

Just casually super necroposting here to say this game is fantastic and it's going to be released May 13 so go play it. Or don't. It's cool and it has dwarves in space.

Agreed, this game is great. Go play it people! Even playing public games with randoms can be fun.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 11:53:26 am »

I played a couple matches several weeks ago and it seems like it could be fun. I do love me some co-op games. Naturally I can't get any of my friends to play it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2020, 12:14:51 pm »

I've lately just been playing with randoms. Just unlocked a few new weapons.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2020, 01:12:44 am »

I've been hooked on this one ever since the free weekend a while back. It's definitely worth the price of admission if you have a taste for these kinds of games. I'm currently halfway between the first and second tier of promotions, trying to scrounge for weapon overclocks with no real success so far.

Unless you're allergic to Discord, I also recommend joining the Interplanetary Miner's Union if you haven't already. You get a monthly bonus just for having discord and the game running at the same time, with a further bonus depending on how many milestones the community made.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2020, 10:53:29 pm »

Bumping this to say....

I've put like 70 hours into this over the last month. It is damn fun. It somehow manages to be chillaxing and intense, slow-paced exploration and fast paced combat. Funny and slightly cute while managing to give you the occasional spoops. It's the kind of game that, even when I finish a 30 or 45 minute mission, I can't wait to get into another one. Even after all the mandatory unlocking of better gear and upgrades and what not.

I can't say it ranks as more than a casual game to me, but it's well featured and full of surprises. It's the kind of game you can play solo on lower difficulties and enjoy the looting, the navigating the cave systems and shooting some bugs. Then you go into multiplayer and it gets harder, busier, more chaotic.

It's one of those games I've looked at before and couldn't imagine myself playing. But a friend bought a bunch of copies during a sale and I have zero regrets. We play a lot of Vermintide 2 as a group, and this is definitely a change of pace from that, while still retaining a lot of the same coop, stick-together-or-die elements.

I think my favorite part of the game is just breaching these massive randomly generated caverns, full of biome-specific features, hazards and creatures, throwing some flares and watching it all light up and just going....woah. It triggers that animal part of the human brain that looks at the environment, identifies the threats to your safety and tries to plot a way through it. And the feel of looking off the edge of a deep, dark chasm and not knowing what is at the bottom is something any DF player would be able to see and appreciate I think.

Two thumbs up, for sure.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 11:42:10 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2021, 01:10:30 am »

I thought we had a longer thread about this game? Oh well. Bumping for big update.

New weapon for every class, new enemies, and a completely free Season Pass. Lots of new stuff to explore if you haven't played in a while. Great time to jump in if you haven't played but want to.
Pages: [1] 2