Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ASCII or Tileset Use  (Read 3769 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ASCII or Tileset Use
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2023, 04:53:20 pm »

I personally have trouble using ASCII for anything that isn't adventure mode, but that might just be because squares aren't squares in ASCII.
Squares are most definitely squares if you use the square set that comes with the game.

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2023, 05:48:04 pm »

As a former excessive Meph user I like the steam release and the graphics and UI added. It took a while to adapt but once to get the hang of it its a new way of playing an already good game.
I miss some of the variety and detail that Meph added to the walls and decorations :) but in my opinion its a supreme start and I hope more will come!

(I just realized how strange 'Meph-user' sounds but I'm pretty sure you remember the Mepth tileset here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161047.0, https://github.com/DFgraphics/Meph)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 05:52:32 pm by Novaris »

dan84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2023, 05:15:57 pm »

Ascii. I’ve used it for so long. I’ve not tried it in 50+ though so not sure going forward. I always felt that if you are worried about graphics in DF, you might be playing the wrong game. 😁

13wham

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2023, 07:57:54 pm »

Prior to steam release I exclusively used ASCII (standard curses_800x600). In steam version I use default graphics, because for some reason I couldn't get used to the new interface (map is ok) in ASCII.
Agreed. Also, the game's screen squeezing when in ASCII and no zoom were too jarring for me! I wish there was a classic UI mode too, because ASCII mode in the Steam release seems a little bit underbaked right now.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 08:02:27 pm by 13wham »
Thus have I heard...
"Behold now, Bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to decay. Strive with diligence!"
-Mahaparinibbana Sutta 6:8

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2023, 08:53:36 pm »

Prior to steam release I exclusively used ASCII (standard curses_800x600). In steam version I use default graphics, because for some reason I couldn't get used to the new interface (map is ok) in ASCII.
Agreed. Also, the game's screen squeezing when in ASCII and no zoom were too jarring for me! I wish there was a classic UI mode too, because ASCII mode in the Steam release seems a little bit underbaked right now.
Except that you wouldn't be able to actually control the game if the old UI was simply thrown in. It would need to be updated to actually be able to control the current version of the game.

And who's gonna spend time developing an old rubbish UI...?
Something for modders to try once the interface eventually becomes completely moddable.

At least Toady is still commited to spending time developing an interface that works with text-based tilesets (and full text mode in Linux, apparently). Should be nice when it's eventually finished.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2023, 02:15:41 am »

Disclaimer:  I’ve only used up through v0.47.05

ASCII (mainly because that’s what the wiki use(s/d).
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.
Pages: 1 [2]