Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Murdercrow and Other Travesties (art thread)  (Read 29542 times)

buuface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Murdercrow and Other Travesties (art thread)
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2018, 02:01:28 am »

amazing art thanks for sharing!

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2018, 07:11:55 pm »

Cacame liiiiiiives!

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2018, 01:47:18 pm »

amazing art thanks for sharing!
I'm glad you like it!

Demigod leopard seal man Bim Silversnarl fighting Mudung's Monster, a giant eyeless indigo grasshopper with spiral horns. Based on a Youtube DF story by Kruggsmash.

If you like my pictures and want to see more please consider supporting my Patreon. It will give me more free time I can dedicate to drawing Dwarf Fortress stories.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2018, 02:59:05 pm »

tfw new mechlin art

I really love this one - vault guardians seem to have weirder design parameters than forgotten beasts or titans. Have you thought of drawing a night troll by the way? They tend to look rather horrifying - would be perfect material for your art-style considering it already has that dark gothic feel to it.

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2018, 04:38:58 pm »

tfw new mechlin art

I really love this one - vault guardians seem to have weirder design parameters than forgotten beasts or titans. Have you thought of drawing a night troll by the way? They tend to look rather horrifying - would be perfect material for your art-style considering it already has that dark gothic feel to it.
Night trolls sound cool but I've never met any as I don't play Adventure Mode. Do you have a sample description?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2018, 05:08:40 pm »

A "winged freak" from my current world. Their names and descriptions tend to be amongst similar lines, i.e "narrow monster", "gloom freak", "hag of shadow" or "moon man", and they "silently stride with purpose", "mutter to themselves", or "have limbs jutting out at asymmetrical angles".
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 05:14:58 pm by ZM5 »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2018, 05:11:48 pm »

A "winged freak" from my current world.
Sleek skin, seeing the organs and muscles held within. Backward joints, moving with a terrible gait unlike any creature of the day. Blank space where the eyes should be, thin bat-like wings, this thing gives plenty reasons to fear the night. Welcome to the Silent Hills

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2018, 05:28:14 pm »

A "winged freak" from my current world.
Sleek skin, seeing the organs and muscles held within. Backward joints, moving with a terrible gait unlike any creature of the day. Blank space where the eyes should be, thin bat-like wings, this thing gives plenty reasons to fear the night. Welcome to the Silent Hills
Seeing one stalking an adventurer through the woods at night would be terrifying.

I mentioned it once before in another thread, but while they aren't quite Cthulhu-esque horror, they are definitely things that should not be. They can also be pretty damn large (varying quite wildly - a random one I have in this folder of extracted procedural raws I downloaded has 122000 - an average human has 70000) and are also really agile despite attributes like asymmetrical limbs or backwards joints.

Their attacks also have 2:2 prepare and recovery time as well like other procedural creatures, compared to the 3:3 (or 4:4 for kicks) that non-procedural creatures have, so they also attack quickly. You can also smell them if one is nearby - they either smell like cooked flesh, bug innards, or just "death" (personally I take it to mean they smell like a rotting corpse - reanimated zombies smell like that as well if they're nearby). So while just seeing one would be bad enough, actually fighting one is usually even more terrifying, and it'd probably be an assault on the senses as well given the stench.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 06:42:31 pm by ZM5 »

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2018, 08:43:02 am »

That's terrifying. Especially the backward joints bit.
I'd expect this thing to navigate by ultrasound echolocation and a sense of smell, and be able to sit upside down over doorways. Thank you for the description, I'll save it and think about it properly when I'm finished with my two ongoing projects.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2018, 01:21:04 pm »

Out of curiosity, I decided to look up what the winged freak in my world actually was, since each night troll type that spawns in a world corresponds to only one individual (atleast until they kidnap someone and turn them into a spouse).

It's oddly underwhelming. The winged freak's name is Kuru Skullstunneled the Crypt of Death, and it only has five kills to its name - no spouse either. It sort of just stopped its killing spree in the year 5. Since my world is 125 years old, for 120 years Kuru was just sort of...there. In total it killed five cyborgs from a nearby cyborg civ.

The most notable thing about it is that it seemed rather sadistic - three of its victims seemed to die instantly, but it kept one around for a while to break some body parts, before presumably getting bored and killing the victim. It did the same to another victim, though to a lesser degree.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2018, 10:22:53 pm »

Why haven't I seen this before. This art is really great.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2018, 12:55:21 am »

Out of curiosity, I decided to look up what the winged freak in my world actually was, since each night troll type that spawns in a world corresponds to only one individual (atleast until they kidnap someone and turn them into a spouse).

It's oddly underwhelming. The winged freak's name is Kuru Skullstunneled the Crypt of Death, and it only has five kills to its name - no spouse either. It sort of just stopped its killing spree in the year 5. Since my world is 125 years old, for 120 years Kuru was just sort of...there. In total it killed five cyborgs from a nearby cyborg civ.

The most notable thing about it is that it seemed rather sadistic - three of its victims seemed to die instantly, but it kept one around for a while to break some body parts, before presumably getting bored and killing the victim. It did the same to another victim, though to a lesser degree.
Sounds like there's some sort of mythology you could build around it. With only 1 attack every 25 years, every generation hears of the night creature but is unsure of its existence. Over time the sightings of the creature become the fearsome tale of that night haunter, with panicked villagers trying to find some pattern as to why the creature targets certain people for whatever reason. Maybe it hates the wicked, or the innocent. Maybe it hates soapmakers, or drunkards. Could just be that it is patient, waiting for the foolish to wander too far from the village alone at night. 2spooky

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2018, 05:08:28 am »

Well, thats the thing about it - it wasn't 1 attack every 25 years. Two of its kills were in year 2, then the other three were in year 5 - after that, it completely disappeared for 120 years. So perhaps some of the older cyborgs would remember the strange disappearances, but any newer ones would consider it a myth of some kind.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2018, 09:50:14 pm »

PTW

This is awesome
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2018, 10:39:34 pm »

Tholtig Cryptbrain the Waning Diamonds

EDIT: better quality image.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:51:53 am by Mechlin »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5