Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39]

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 412623 times)

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Premium Publisher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)
« Reply #570 on: April 19, 2024, 07:01:12 am »

Steam Community Update 18 April 2024: "Patch Notes 51.01 and what's coming next for Adventure Mode?"

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/4186734162824193648

Full text:

Hello Urists!

Alexandra here with a post-Adventure Mode beta launch update. We hope you’re enjoying all the mischief and mayhem that the beta has to offer. Some of the stories you’ve been sharing have been hilarious and thought-provoking to say the least. This story:https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/1c6eya2/i_accidentally_killed_a_traveler/ about stealing a shield gone wrong made me laugh a lot.

Today’s Patch

A big thank you to everyone who has been submitting bug reports to the tracker. The team already patched early this morning with some fixes:

-Fixed region map scrolling crash
-Crash fix related to multithreading

What’s Next?

In the beta, as you may have noticed, you can create a party in character generation, visit your old forts, retire, unretire, get NPC companions, take quests, fight monsters with the various melee/wrestling/ranged options, set fires, tell stories, and travel the world. Portraits are available for dwarves, humans, elves, goblins, kobolds (minus some clothing variations), animal people (no items), and necromancer experiments (no items). These portraits are in both modes on the beta branch.

These are the features and improvements we have planned for Adventure Mode, as listed by Tarn in his devlog yesterday. We plan on keeping the beta branch up till the full launch on the main branch so you’ll be able to continue to play as features get added.

Even just the first few items on the (non-exhaustive) list below might take a few weeks so you can expect the beta to last quite a bit longer than that, which unfortunately means the launch won’t be extremely soon, despite what we thought and said previously. We promise we’re looking at how to be as efficient as we can. We don’t yet have a target date for the full adventure mode launch, but you’ll know as soon as we do, and keep updating regularly.

Planned improvements, though not sure in what order they'll be attacked exactly yet:

Quest log / information screen
Butchering and crafting
Ability use, from necromancy to pet animal to spit
Composing
Motion/attack indicators
Building interactions (levers, doors, etc.)
Wrestle button
Stealth vision arcs
Better UI for stuff like going through hatches over ramps
Some other info like movement speed / encumbrance
Tracking / odor / weather / light / time etc. information
Some travel map stuff like visible armies and zooming and highlights
Minimap / map memory
Trading and bartering (and the town shops being generally a mess)
Assuming false identities
Full personality customization in chargen
Graphics and audio that didn't make it in for the initial beta release
Get Classic conversions for the new buttons etc.
The new stuff: chosen mode with deities, town improvements, dungeon improvements, healing options, and so forth

As we’ve said before, cabin building is a larger interface project, so that'll have to wait until after the rest of Adventure Mode is launched. We might also shift some of these improvements to be post-Adventure Mode launch, depending on how things look as we go. We’ll keep you updated.

The Adventure Mode Soundtrack is Available!

Also, after a bit of a hiccup on the backend, the Adventure Mode soundtrack is now available on Steam. You can even get a 10% discount on it and the other OST, if you already own the base game: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/40747/Dwarf_Fortress_Soundtrack_Edition/

Check it out: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2937200/Dwarf_Fortress_Soundtrack_2_Adventure/

That’s all for now! We really appreciate all the support and kind words as we continue our own adventure (of development!)

-Alexandra + Tanya + Bay12

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 23, 2024, 04:19:08 pm »

Steam Community Update 23 April 2024: "Portraits, crash fixes, and decorous demon chefs?"

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370?emclan=103582791464215078&emgid=4186734162842117873

Full text:

Apologies for two updates in two days but important things are afoot, and as I mentioned yesterday, Tarn is going to take a little rest for a week or two, so hopefully this will help make that wait more bearable.

This is version 50.13 updating on the main/default branch, improving Fortress Mode! If you're not seeing it, try closing Steam and re-logging in.

New additions/changes

Portraits! Whether they're dwarves, elves, humans, or animalpeople, they have portraits! Procedurally assembled, in many cases.

A few of my favorite animalpeople portraits

Major bug fixes

Fixed statue-related crash
    Fixed syndrome-related crash
    Fixed temperature-related crash
    Fixed crash from empty kitchen menu
    Fixed multi-kill squad orders
    Fixed world gen crash from the appointing of chefs by demon rulers that had been influenced by outside reading materials on decorum and leisure time

Other bug fixes/tweaks

Centered some creatures that were printing off-center
    Large gems and gem crafts should be produced properly by gem cutting jobs again
    Fixed cave adaptation
    Fixed problem with numbers in wild creature clusters
    SELECT_GROWTH and SELECT_MATERIAL available in plant modding

Thank you for playing!
Tanya on behalf of Kitfox and Bay 12
Team Bug Fix!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 23, 2024, 04:40:14 pm »

[...] they have portraits! Procedurally assembled, in many cases.

Hmmm, got me thinking hard about which of these[1] are actually procedural. And whether procedural at run-time, or 'merely' procedural in producing the base artwork to speed up the creation of the resultingly huge 'static' corpus of final reference images.

But this is just pondering, not expecting an easy answer (if any) to be forthcoming.

[1] And/or what of these... fur/skin/scale colour(s), maybe?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 24, 2024, 12:18:37 am »

I think its only the standard civilized races that are actually procedural/dependent on the creature's attributes. In the beta at least, animal people all use the same portrait for their species
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 24, 2024, 04:42:04 am »

Aye, it looked quite difficult for those portraits given to be all procedural[1], although always possible to have one (or more) key-colour/key-hue meta-pixel to allow at least some of them to be run-time rerendered (red frog-man with blue throat, white chicken-man, fire-axylotl-man). You could even template up spots/stripes/mottles/etc (as co-keys/optional overlays).

But, yes, I think we do have to read it as "Many of the variations (of standard races) are procedural. <beat> And here are some favourite (hardcoded) animalpeoples." Didn't stop me pondering the possible overlap, though, and possibly some would totally assume a significant equivalence is true. ;)

[1] You'd need some sort of advanced re-rendering technique, on top of distinct improvements on the raw 'skeletal and body-part' definition.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 24, 2024, 01:11:09 pm »

I looked at the portraits folder in the game files (its under vanilla creature graphics) and yeah, the animal people are all single portraits. The standard races look like they all have clothing layers and stuff same as the regular layered graphics. I dunno how it does colors yet, they only have one color body for each portrait.

Interestingly, the females' bra is not part of the body portrait, its a separate layer. The body layer has breasts, with nipples. Males, if you notice, do not have nipples. Someone was having fun with that little easter egg.

Goblins and kobolds don't have separate male and female portraits.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 24, 2024, 01:42:26 pm »

I looked at the portraits folder in the game files (its under vanilla creature graphics) and yeah, the animal people are all single portraits. The standard races look like they all have clothing layers and stuff same as the regular layered graphics. I dunno how it does colors yet, they only have one color body for each portrait.

Thank goodness for palette support.  The layering configuration right now is an absolute nightmare because of the manual colors.  I really hope it has been or will be backported to general creature graphics.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39]