Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 392

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2930986 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1380 on: January 03, 2019, 05:59:25 am »

So, can players/adventurers join the villain organizations?
They can be villains with the new party system as you'll have access to villainous commands. But remains to be seen if you'll actually be able to join an existing villain's scheme.

-- edit
Unless Kittytac knows better? Quote on that?
You answered it, no further details:
Will we be able to play villains?
Yes. Isn't that in the devblog already? Has been covered in fotf at least. You can give orders to your party members, which can be of the villanous kind. So essentially you can set up a bandit camp and play warlord.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: January 03, 2019, 11:17:01 am »

So, can players/adventurers join the villain organizations?
They can be villains with the new party system as you'll have access to villainous commands. But remains to be seen if you'll actually be able to join an existing villain's scheme.

-- edit
Unless Kittytac knows better? Quote on that?
You answered it, no further details:
Will we be able to play villains?
Yes. Isn't that in the devblog already? Has been covered in fotf at least. You can give orders to your party members, which can be of the villanous kind. So essentially you can set up a bandit camp and play warlord.
That's you being a villain yourself.
There's nothing about joining another villain's organization yet. As far as I know.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1382 on: January 03, 2019, 12:35:02 pm »

The only answer up till now has been along the lines of 'that's what we want to get in, but we're not sure what is possible yet'. Maybe we'll know more at the end of the month, which would be when that question would be answered anyhow ;)

Thanks for the answers, I hadn't thought about the wells at all! I did ask them what they were up to, and they told me they were out of a stroll. Maybe it's the wanderlust that all Elves have culturally?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: January 04, 2019, 02:01:46 am »

Thanks for the replies ! Now a new question :

About magic, how do you plan to manage spell duration between adventure mode and fortress mode ? (i mean, spell which will last days/weeks/hours, for instance)

Probably time dilation, much like everything else. Say, "Magic Missile" takes 5 seconds to cast in advmode, but it takes a few days on the calendar to cast in fortmode. But since everything else also moves many times slower (including whoever/whatever you are casting the spell on), the delay won't feel overly long or short.

5 seconds in adv mode is actually 6 minutes in fort mode, believe it or not; if you want it to be 5 seconds real time at default FPS values, that's still just under half a day

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: January 04, 2019, 02:08:06 am »

Note that time scaling between the two is pretty screwy, and you need a DWF_STRETCH of 72 for things to behave sanely: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10604
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: January 04, 2019, 02:15:42 am »

Note that time scaling between the two is pretty screwy, and you need a DWF_STRETCH of 72 for things to behave sanely: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10604

I continue to insist that the bug here is in how syndromes work in adventure mode, not how the DWF_STRETCH value is too low. Syndromes did not used to work this way, and were much more sane. Your suggested fix is reliant the actual buggy behavior--adventure mode syndromes lasting 72x as long as expected--continuing to exist, even though the bug report itself seems to suggest that you know that said behavior is buggy?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: January 04, 2019, 02:40:01 am »

All in all the system has intent and some merits, but with psychology not being updated "with" social skill balance, alcohol syndromes besides being potentially fatal to dwarves/non-dwarves are a lot more trouble than they are worth.

Its not hard to modify some of the effects, or even define different types of alcohol with inebriation effects to consume with some tricksy RAW editing. Dwarves spilling out all the details of the lives and being constantly drunk because the DWF_STRETCH can be too long or short, plus top ups in the tavern whenever doesn't bode well for dwarves who invest into skills like liar with slow growth in other areas.

Currently im having to run modded workshops that manually build xp of other skills just to stop dwarves getting rusty on social skills so they don't not use their social skills, (since all workshops give 34xp and dabbling to novice cap is 0-500 it would take 15 long repeats and constant use to ensure that rust doesn't actually stop them from progressing when they are off working not chatting)
  • Children born in fortresses & true non-married migrants from your civ's historical sites can have no social skills whatsoever after the first 2 hardcoded waves making this a uphill battle.

Sorry to stake the derail @Putnam & @RandomDragon.

Q: Are you still quite fond of that mini-game concept for animal taming if time allowing, you roll around to having adventurers lock up animals in cages?

Q: Will we see any more mini-games sub-activities that aren't explicitly 'games' per say (dwarvish backgammon in the tavern) but rather game-ified actions for the player's enjoyment?

Later edit:

Quote from: ToadyOne
Quote from: Falcc
5. To expand on an old question: since we already have the carpenter's workshop in adventure mode anyway could we start making cages and caging up animals we already own? Could we dedicate an area as a zoo in our sinister bandit fort, since all these nice adventurers will be dropping by to stop us now?

5. Getting closer!  I haven't added new designations or reactions, but with pets going, things slowly begin to make more sense until they happen.

My own experience of this is that in theory, you can process vermin and harvest the blood/item specific materials from them and do whatever with the product by using the trap as a container and the creature defined by itself with VERMIN and material arguement.

Successful egg reactions are (like enclosed) and extend to other specific arguements like [USE_BODY_PART] where item type allows.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

However it'd be nice if in the future we could define a creature in a cage container or without, or conjure one up with a CREATURE item tag if im not inferring the end-destination too hard to what workshop reactions might achieve or require.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 08:08:10 am by FantasticDorf »

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: January 04, 2019, 10:57:48 am »

Didn't paint the text green because I don't know if it's already been answered yet. If answered, a link would be much appreciated.

Other players have pointed the beautiful work made in Mark J Rohnson's Ultima Ratio Regum maps and buildings. Currently, Dwarf Fortress worldgen creates, let's say, less beautiful buildings.
I wandered around a necromancer tower in Adventure mode to find it's just a square tiny building of two Z-levels and a cellar. I confess I expected, well, a tower. Ruined fortresses are equally similar and not quite impressive in design and layout, specially compared to some players' fortresses posted around. No circular halls, no fancy designs, no throne rooms, offices or separated districts... they don't have the feel of an inhabited city suddenly attacked.

żAre these locations going to be revisited to improve their looks and layouts? and żIs there (going to be) a way to mod worldgen to 'inject' player blueprints into worldgen?

Below there's a link to URR, not playable yet but you can walk around and see the cities and their districts (żIs ok to add links here? sorry if it isn't). Worth a look if you haven't seen it yet.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: January 04, 2019, 11:29:49 am »

Toady and Threetoe grew up on Roguelikes according to their biographical documentary video which formed the key elements unsuprisingly of Dwarf Fortress which is a strategy game, a RPG and also just a good source of storytelling across its three modes, though you should probably use the more recent site of Ultima for a comparison since your link is going to the old site, I don't think it's in poor taste to share a little creative comparison.

żAre these locations going to be revisited to improve their looks and layouts? and żIs there (going to be) a way to mod worldgen to 'inject' player blueprints into worldgen?

Sites are being worked out all the while on a 'need-to-change' basis, but the dedicated town re-write will allow a lot more carte'blanche with how this is achieved and the level of detail/perhaps self user input is laid down, since right now Toady puts a lot more into the functionality of a site (realising space for little junk piles/realising food production & storage rather than magicing out of air)

The last site to be touched was the kobold occupied caves, which did a fair amount to improve them, like realising their site traps, animals they use, nesting chamber habits and living accomodations rather than just living in little piles of loot in a grotty cave mainly to accomodate them being profilic artifact theives for the relevant arc.

• Saying that, temples, whatever guilds occupy and merchant warehouses even if a great big ugly grey depot sits in the middle of town full of trading company valuables will be coming for the next releases for villians soon

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: January 04, 2019, 08:24:30 pm »

Other players have pointed the beautiful work made in Mark J Rohnson's Ultima Ratio Regum maps and buildings. Currently, Dwarf Fortress worldgen creates, let's say, less beautiful buildings.
URR is very pretty indeed, but the reason for that is because the dev put a much greater emphasis on the aesthetics than on actual gameplay systems. Like you said, it hasn't been playable for years and will probably continue to be "just" a pretty world generator for a long time. It's kindy funny because the focus in DF has always been the opposite way, prefering the actual game mechanics over visuals (although the pretty quest log that was added to adventure mode some months ago makes me think Toady does feel like prettying up the game a little more nowadays).

żAre these locations going to be revisited to improve their looks and layouts?
Like Fantastic said above, the short answer is "yes". On the dev notes you can see that even for this updates there are some location reworks planned:
"Includes bandit forts, return of castles, better necromancer towers"
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

żIs there (going to be) a way to mod worldgen to 'inject' player blueprints into worldgen?
I've asked this in one of the last FotFs:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf//index.php?topic=169696.msg7864338#msg7864338
Search for "NPC site" there. Toady's answer was that currently NPC sites aren't in a condition where they could easily be made moddable, but after the map rewrite (part of the magic update), it might at least become feasible. It will depend on how the map rewrite works out. I do hope for moddable NPC sites/ buildings myself, too, because it seems like an area of the game that could easily be outsourced to creative members of the community, so that Toady could spend his valueable programming time on other stuff. Although Toady is still Toady, so he will work on whatever he likes anyway.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1390 on: January 05, 2019, 04:28:52 am »

One of the DF talks also mentions that it is tricky to change the buildings as quite a few of them are procedurally generated from scratch, and suggests having more rules like, building proportions and such to allow changing such buildings as well.

For certain buildings, like taverns, temples, I imagine we'd be able to implement maps, and for the more insignificant ones, like houses, we'll proly see more rule based building?

Edit: Looking back on threads on the topic, the blocker is Toady being afraid he'll create a raw fileformat that won't be able to handle all the cool stuff.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 06:27:13 am by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: January 05, 2019, 04:07:35 pm »

Like with everything else in DF, I tend to just use my imagination to make the buildings look better in my head, interpreting the in-game architecture as a simplified representation of something more complex. It's not like scale has much relevance in DF right now anyway, so there's no reason you can't interpret 2 z-levels as representing a much larger tower.

It's not ideal, true, but it's probably all we'll have to work with for the foreseeable future. It will likely be many years to come before the basic mechanics of DF are ironed-out enough that detailed and realistic architecture is prioritized.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 04:13:38 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: January 06, 2019, 11:09:47 pm »

With the coming releases will adventurers be able to enjoy sleeping in an inn bedroom, feel unhappy sleeping on the ground recently, and enjoy a bedroom like a personal palace when they've built their own site and stashed some treasure in their room? If adding actual focus consequences is out of the question is there something keeping adventurers from having the unpleasant sleeping on the ground memory now that such memories can carry over between fortress mode games?

Not sure if it's the sort of thing I should bug report because it seems more like a design that just predates adventurers being awake in fortress mode at all.

Once the villains are in, succession games can finally act out through play some of their terrible player grudge matches. What are your policies on using Dwarf Fortress as a platform for professional GMing? I am but a simple communist and don't know how all the property licensing of video games or table top games shakes out for people that do it for money. But I write a book for money. Can I make a personalized dwarf fortress succession game a tier on a patreon?

So here's my tragic backstory: for the past three and a half years I've been writing a [now Game of Thrones] sized novel that started out as Dwarf Fortress fanfiction. It started, appropriately enough, as a quick and dirty attempt writing my first full novel (post-college) and it went horribly out of proportion. Aside from a few Urists, which are all placement names, it wouldn't resemble the game right now at all, but you might get to something like it before I finish on my end at this rate.

I have some fans among my friends that I am finally getting into the game. But they'd have a much easier time if I could set up a world for them. That got me thinking: if somebody is supporting my patreon and I'm also GMing a game with DF as the platform, is this opening up some kind of weird bad legal situation for you? I'd hate for Disney to suddenly release a Dwarf Fortress movie and claim to own it because you didn't enforce one instance of profit-making. Such is the bizarre world of US copywrite law.

Romi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: January 08, 2019, 04:39:07 am »

I have been away for a long while. Is there any estimate on when the next update is coming (beside soon) and what it will entail?  Because for last couple of years there used to be an updated almost every month, but now there was none in half, and if there is a bid updated around the corner i'd rather wait.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: January 08, 2019, 05:05:52 am »

I have been away for a long while. Is there any estimate on when the next update is coming (beside soon) and what it will entail?  Because for last couple of years there used to be an updated almost every month, but now there was none in half, and if there is a bid updated around the corner i'd rather wait.

Nobody knows for sure, sometime with the next few months, you can follow development from the devlog and the monthly report but right now we are 44% through (might be updated to 45% or 46%) estimated total development of the game on the Villian Arc, which without distraction of other projects should preclude 'the big wait' (for the complex magic arc estimated a entire year long) or improvement updates after that to finish up the present arc.

In where we've been to where we are going and where we have been see below.

Raiding Arc (done) <-> Some Improvements/Bugfixes (done) <-> Villian Arc (in development) <-> ((improvements to that) <-> (???) <-> ((beginning of the Magic Arc)) <- 1 year -> rest of the devgoals, likely law & customs
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 392