Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851840 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1470 on: January 24, 2019, 07:47:12 pm »

With bandits receiving bandit forts and bugs being fixed will we be able to finally complete quests on destroying bandit camps? Same goes to criminals in town catacombs

I don’t recall having issues with killing bandits for agreements...?

To be fair I haven’t had a agreement like that since several versions ago.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: January 25, 2019, 11:14:28 am »

Do social skills (other than Pacifier, Consoler, Judge of Intent) have any gameplay effect in fortress mode?

(for what it's worth, the wiki states that it is unclear what they actually do)

Are "giant sleeping monsters that are so massive they act as map features", or severed body parts thereof ("The left eye of Thatakeus" or whatever) on the table for the myth and magic release?

Are you worried about the general activity slowdown in the forums and wiki? How would you explain that despite the community shrinking in size, donations have gone up?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 04:22:09 pm by Nopenope »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: January 25, 2019, 11:51:21 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1.1; at the moment at least, pantheons are generated at world gen and the gods dont interact with one another. Theyre all associated with the same civ so theyre united in that way.
1.2; iirc there are plans to give them a real home etc, but for now and this coming version they only exist in the abstract, so have no "home"
1.3; they currently dont form relationships, but with the full myth and/or religion releases that could very well change.
1.4; there may be infighting among the gods or declarations of which god is most important/powerful in the myth/religion releases.
1.5; religious wars will have to wait for the religion arc.
2; Toady tests every release to make sure its kinda playable, and players submit bug reports.
3; game-recognized tournaments and gladiatorial combat will probably happen, but i have no idea when. We do have wrestling competitions in world gen, but theyre not visible during play yet.

Do social skills (other than Pacifier, Consoler, Judge of Intent) have any gameplay effect in fortress mode?

(for what it's worth, the wiki states that it is unclear what they actually do)

Are "giant sleeping monsters that are so massive they act as map features", or severed body parts thereof ("The left eye of Thatakeus" or whatever) on the table for the myth and magic release?
1; negotiator, intimidator and persuador all supposedly affect brokers in trading.
2) i doubt supermassive critters (bigger than 1 embark tile) themselves will be feasible any time soon, but we will get multitile creatures, but i bet giant body parts will totally be present after the myth arc, if theyre associated with mythical creatures.
Maybe map scale critters will be viable as static features that just destroy the fort if you wake them up?

Toady; do monasteries, bandit forts and castles have a mead hall-like zone that counts as being in control of the site once claimed, and pedestals/rooms for artifacts?
Did roadside inns/taverns make it in this time around?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 12:07:02 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: January 25, 2019, 11:55:27 am »

Yeah, I know they "supposedly" do that, but actual inner workings would be nice to hear from the Toad himself. I've been wondering about what these skills do for the better part of a decade and they haven't been verified yet; surely I can't be the first one to have actually gone and asked him.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1474 on: January 25, 2019, 12:02:56 pm »

Dwarves are currently able to argue during fort mode(you can even see their conversations if you use the right announcement.txt features).

There hasn't been much science, but because they can argue, they can change the values of other creatures through that process(which uses persuader/intimidator, flatterer is to avoid being beaten up, afair). Similarly, comedians are able to tell jokes, etc. FantasticDorf did some !!Science!! on it and found it also related to the personality of the dwarf which skills they apply the most.

Furthermore, the villain recruitment process seems to use these values in worldgen, I wouldn't be surprised if it also uses these values when villains hit fort mode.

Immortal-D: I think Toady was mostly referring to worldgen code, stress changes will proly need to wait till we see dwarf mode improvements.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 02:28:14 pm by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

terribleperson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: January 26, 2019, 12:35:03 am »

With bandit forts getting added, what features are missing before a DF world could theoretically reenact the classical Chinese novel Water Margin? Could a group of bandits end up serving as a military for the group they once preyed on? Similarly, could a military unit end up as bandits? If not, what features are needed before they could?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: January 26, 2019, 04:06:12 pm »

Toady, what sort of symbols/tiles represent these new sites you're adding in (monasteries, bandit forts, castles)?

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: January 27, 2019, 11:44:38 am »

Some more late month questions.

I notice my starving adventurer dwarf is unwilling to eat live vermin but also won't lick them like she would with another unedible object. Is this because of a moral, an ethic, a bug, or a goofy joke? More importantly is there any intention of a dedicated Lick button as separate from the eat button so we can activate modded talismans or activate modded frogs? Are any advanced Inventory interactions planned for vermin since they can suddenly be a pet and at least picked up and put down? Are any more Shift+I button interactions planned before the big wait since so many fancy items are kicking around now?

Also I've been looking at vermin code a lot and it looks like a few kinds can attack (like bees) but most don't. Is there any reason mosquitos don't bite, even without the bloodsucker effect? Would it be traumatizing to dwarves to be bit by a vermin they don't like, or not any moreso than being around the vermin?

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: January 27, 2019, 04:21:36 pm »

What do the new monasteries look like? Are they multiple buildings in close proximity or are they just one? Are they a big rectangle or is there more to their design?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: January 27, 2019, 07:58:06 pm »

Also I've been looking at vermin code a lot and it looks like a few kinds can attack (like bees) but most don't. Is there any reason mosquitos don't bite, even without the bloodsucker effect? Would it be traumatizing to dwarves to be bit by a vermin they don't like, or not any moreso than being around the vermin?

Odd iirc. bees do sting and most dorfs dont mind that. [...] Ok like i thought. The Mosquito actualy lacks an attack token in its raws. Bees for example use "VERMIN_BITE" which as far as i see not in the Mosquito description..... maybe a bit of the Vampires bloodsucking could help here?

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

CorkNite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: January 27, 2019, 08:50:26 pm »

How will the Myth and Magic update affect night-creatures?
I hate my username.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: January 27, 2019, 09:15:26 pm »

Odd iirc. bees do sting and most dorfs dont mind that. [...] Ok like i thought. The Mosquito actualy lacks an attack token in its raws. Bees for example use "VERMIN_BITE" which as far as i see not in the Mosquito description..... maybe a bit of the Vampires bloodsucking could help here?
Probably has something do with the fact that there are mosquito men, but no bee men.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: January 27, 2019, 10:08:06 pm »

This depends on how much gets done when you get back to Adventurer, but...
When you start ordering your party around to do villaneous things, will your group show up on the new "villain networks" map? I imagine that would be a lot of fun to track and compare with the other networks in the world.
And, on the same subject,
I know the schedule is now way off, but just how villaneous will we be able to be with our parties. All the way from ordering artifact stealing, assassinations and coups?  (let's say, by the start of the Big Wait in case it's not all in right away)
Oh, and,
Do big villaneous networks persist after the bad guy at the top is dead?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: January 27, 2019, 10:42:35 pm »

I'm pretty sure the answer was "Yes, to the extent it makes sense."

I assume this means the remaining agents will continue to embezzle for personal gain, but will probably lose interest in the original grand scheme.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: January 27, 2019, 11:07:47 pm »

Yeah pretty much what Bumber said.
Toady talked about exactly that at this timestamp:
https://youtu.be/4-7TtPX5uhg?t=902
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 389