Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 388

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2838101 times)

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1530 on: February 03, 2019, 11:21:47 am »

Hello Toadi, thank you for the questions and answers.Little question,will the mode of Legends change, now without utilities it is difficult
He did say in a devlog and in previous questions that he made some changes to legends mode and its structure:
"I managed to scrunch the data down so that the historical figure legends display shows all of their various dalliances, which was a concern for a bit, as there is a lot of activity. I also made every battle a historical figure participates in, even as a regular soldier, part of the figure's chronology now, which helps reconstruct narratives such as the one to follow."
Some more info about the changes could be nice.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: February 03, 2019, 01:36:13 pm »

Can mercenary companies downgrade some of their equipment to stay afloat for a while, or is that not something they consider?

Does the equipment belong to the company, or is it awarded to individuals?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1532 on: February 03, 2019, 03:23:17 pm »

Does the equipment belong to the company, or is it awarded to individuals?

Last two sentences of the devlog imply the equipment is owned by individuals:

Individual mercenaries can also use their money to upgrade their own equipment. This typically happens before their company (if any) steps up, but a wealthy company can pay to equip joining members if they are behind.

Don't know if mercenaries are smart enough to sell/downgrade either though, so that one still stands :)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Aid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: February 03, 2019, 07:38:42 pm »

Quote from: Aid link=topic=169696.msg7924855#msg7924855
date=1549199244
Hello Toadi, thank you for the questions and answers.Little question,will the mode of Legends change, now without utilities it is difficult
He did say in a devlog and in previous questions that he made some changes to legends mode and its structure:
"I managed to scrunch the data down so that the historical figure legends display shows all of their various dalliances, which was a concern for a bit, as there is a lot of activity. I also made every battle a historical figure participates in, even as a regular soldier, part of the figure's chronology now, which helps reconstruct narratives such as the one to follow."
Some more info about the changes could be nice.
I did not hear about it, I'm very pleased to hear

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: February 03, 2019, 07:52:06 pm »

I only just now realized, why does the adventurer carpentry menu allow you to craft splints, bins, cabinets, and other items you can't use or build with?

If it was just a straight conversion of the carpenter's workshop's contents it'd make sense, but you correctly omitted being able to make cages (useless in adventure mode as far as I can determine), along with a lot of furniture items you can't place in the construction menu, but ALSO omitted animal traps (available from a carpenter's workshop in fort mode, and useful in adventure mode for trading vermin) and minecarts (which are hilariously useful in adventure mode).
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: February 03, 2019, 09:57:22 pm »

Same reason you can assign parts of your Adventurer camps as taverns and temples even though it doesn't do anything yet. It's not finished. It'll all do something eventially. Splints will surely be used in the upcoming medical upgrades for example.

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: February 04, 2019, 01:20:00 am »

Posting both to watch and these two questions just hit me. Feeling so hyped!  :D

First, is it planned for religiously affiliated mercenary companies to interact with the organized religions that they follow? For example sending guards with prophets/priests/pilgrims of the same religion, or perhaps their members will also undertake pilgrimages themselves? May be jumping ahead in terms of development with this one, been a while since I've read up on the posted future plans.

Second, do the new networking mechanics interact with entity ethics? Namely in regards to the [JUSTIFIED_IF_NO_REPERCUSSIONS] tag? Like say Entity Member A murders Entity Member B in broad daylight, while Entity Member C is the local law enforcement officer who would normally intervene. But in this instance, A has flipped C into their network beforehand, and thus evades the otherwise lawful consequences for their actions. I know this is what happens in the upcoming villain update regardless. But I'm wondering if this might have or be planned to have some special interaction?

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: February 04, 2019, 02:07:01 am »

How will the new villain networks, mercenary bands and things interact with adventurer mode?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 02:19:14 am by Laterigrade »
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: February 04, 2019, 05:46:06 am »

Posting to watch myself, but Laterigrade needs a slight colour adjustment -
friendly reminder for the unaware and anyone else, Toady prefers lime green for his questions. Something about being able to distinguish it better, if I recall.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: February 04, 2019, 07:29:26 am »

friendly reminder for the unaware and anyone else, Toady prefers lime green for his questions. Something about being able to distinguish it better, if I recall.
The lime green is more readable than the "normal" green, but both work for Toady's purposes: to locate the questions among all the chaff when it comes time to read the next FotF (he reads the whole thread, if I understand it correctly, but it's helpful for the answer compilation phase to be able to locate the relevant parts quickly). Still, higher readability is better than a poorer one...

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: February 04, 2019, 02:35:14 pm »

Same reason you can assign parts of your Adventurer camps as taverns and temples even though it doesn't do anything yet. It's not finished. It'll all do something eventially. Splints will surely be used in the upcoming medical upgrades for example.

Makes sense, though it does seem like an odd mishmash of reactions. Having useless zones in the camps may be odd, but it's more or less consistent with fort-mode handling, whereas the carpentry reaction section doesn't follow that translation from fort mode to adventure mode as neatly.

Which does make me think yeah, unfinished plans possibly, and omitting some things that do have niche uses in adventure mode was likely just forgetting about them briefly.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: February 05, 2019, 02:20:03 am »

Thanks; fixed.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1542 on: February 06, 2019, 12:49:33 pm »

Have you considered allowing adventurers to put points into http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Appraiser at the start of the game, so that we can see goods prices in adventure mode? Or is there some mechanical blocker there?.

I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: February 06, 2019, 02:40:50 pm »

Have you considered allowing adventurers to put points into http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Appraiser at the start of the game, so that we can see goods prices in adventure mode? Or is there some mechanical blocker there?.
I suspect that the adventure mode trade interface isn't set up to display prices, but I'm not sure. (Perhaps modding an adventurer reaction that trains appraiser could shed some light on this.)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1544 on: February 07, 2019, 02:10:56 am »

Also, this is less of a question and more of a comment:

Awesome job on the updates to the tomb generator for the artifact release, they look beautiful. Im excited to see how you improve them further :)
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 388