Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 388

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2838153 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1695 on: March 07, 2019, 06:48:39 pm »

right now there's just have a silly little flag that says "this is an adventurer"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: March 07, 2019, 10:13:55 pm »

Hm? Yeah, that's why it can't be like most games where we just assume that all PCs are bisexual. Here characters can end up making decisions without the player's direct input.
And just like the way we can make our pacifist adventurers murder rabbits by the bucketload (with only a trace of tears to represent the trapped pacifist soul screaming at its lack of control), we'll be able to play adventurers any how we like, regardless of sexuality setting.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1697 on: March 08, 2019, 05:50:18 am »

I think Egan was making a 'oh, DF is sooo detailed, even x has twenty sliders'-joke, because most people aren't considering sexuality in terms of commitment for example. :)

I hope we'll see more 'adventures affecting the adventurer'. I know there's like a simple trauma simulation in form of an alcohol dependency, but I've never played an adventurer long enough to know whether the dwarf style remembering also affects them, and I suspect the eventual idea is to have the player's intentions to play a psychopathic murderer also be reflected in the character so they behave appropriately afterwards...
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1698 on: March 08, 2019, 10:54:06 am »

I think Egan was making a 'oh, DF is sooo detailed, even x has twenty sliders'-joke, because most people aren't considering sexuality in terms of commitment for example. :)

I hope we'll see more 'adventures affecting the adventurer'. I know there's like a simple trauma simulation in form of an alcohol dependency, but I've never played an adventurer long enough to know whether the dwarf style remembering also affects them, and I suspect the eventual idea is to have the player's intentions to play a psychopathic murderer also be reflected in the character so they behave appropriately afterwards...

Adventurers can also "not care about anything anymore" my current adventurer (he goes around the world into various dungeons to slay the animal people there, and any elf he sees)has that . I would imagine the player adventurer would have dwarf style remembering since its using the same exact emotion/memories system for them. To the game the player adventurer is just an asexual hist fig that happens to be played by the player. There is nothing special about the adventurers. To look at the thoughts of your adventurer just loo[k] at them. Then you will see your characters thoughts screen.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 11:01:58 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Dwarf_guy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: March 08, 2019, 03:58:28 pm »

1: Will magic users be able to effect the geography of the world?
2: Will magic users be able to play with physics in any way? As in gravity say?
3: If so, (after boats are implemented I would assume) would fortresses in the middle of the ocean be possible? If able, a magician could part the ocean for long enough to build the framework, for example.
4: Also if so, would floating fortresses be possible in any form?
5: In adventure mode, will flying ships be implemented in anyway, or even be possible? I just really want to descend on an unsuspecting town from the sky to raid and pillage.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: March 08, 2019, 05:44:22 pm »

1: Will magic users be able to effect the geography of the world?
2: Will magic users be able to play with physics in any way? As in gravity say?
3: If so, (after boats are implemented I would assume) would fortresses in the middle of the ocean be possible? If able, a magician could part the ocean for long enough to build the framework, for example.
4: Also if so, would floating fortresses be possible in any form?
5: In adventure mode, will flying ships be implemented in anyway, or even be possible? I just really want to descend on an unsuspecting town from the sky to raid and pillage.

1. Indirectly as a minimum, i.e. summoning/performing rituals that result in changes/releasing powerful entities that affect changes, etc/changing cosmic power balances that result in a different sphere dominating. Probably not in the first Myth & Magic release, though.
2. Sounds reasonable. Flying/levitation spells are common enough in fantasy.
3. In principle, but hard in practice, if by "fortress" you mean a fortress mode one rather than an adventure mode one. It's a bit tricky to get a starting team with a wagon to keep afloat long enough for their wizard to do the stuff required (but starting scenarios may change things, especially when boats are around).
4. Floating and flying fortresses are probably going to be possible, although you may have to start from a pre existing "platform", such as a flying/floating island. After all, it's something that appears in fantasy a fair bit. Flying terrain is planned to be available for highly magical worlds, I think.
5. Sounds very reasonable eventually. It would have to be a magic world, or you'd bend the 1400:ish cutoff quite a bit (Jules Verne:esque, at a minimum, as a "ship" sort of implies a heavier than air vessel, rather than a balloon [although a zeppelin might work]).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: March 08, 2019, 06:13:35 pm »

Actually regarding 1) Toady said earthquakes and natural disasters on a scale to alter geography was one of the first things he wanted to try out once the map rewrite makes it possible. So having wizards cause the same would be quite likely to be in the 1st pass.

(I mean, unless testing shows that worldgen just breaks down into volcano spewing megawars obliterating civilization every time...).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 06:18:40 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • the earth spins very fast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: March 08, 2019, 06:21:23 pm »

I mean, it's not a joke. It's just how things are. It would be pretty incomplete if adventurer sexuality wasn't something you could set, or if it were simply a list of options. The remaining option is that you get some sliders at character generation, which new players might find surprising. None of that is exaggeration, it's just how DF appears to work, in my opinion.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1703 on: March 08, 2019, 06:23:39 pm »

(I mean, unless testing shows that worldgen just breaks down into volcano spewing megawars obliterating civilization every time...).

I mean it would be cool for that to happen sometimes...
I am an indie game dev!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: March 08, 2019, 06:29:34 pm »

I mean it would be cool for that to happen sometimes...
Oh yes, absolutely.  :)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • the earth spins very fast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: March 08, 2019, 06:32:05 pm »

Worlds where various magic bullshit is available to lots of potentially-irresponsible people are likely to be the more surprising and entertaining ones, at least until other truly world-changing things exist.

What are the societal implications of every single dwarf having a magical ability to kill any creature with a touch? Maybe they're too dangerous to be allowed into human cities, and have complicated laws to keep that power in check. Or maybe dwarven lands are just a chaotic murder-realm which sometimes unleashes an extremely deadly deathtouch martial artist on an unsuspecting world.

Of course it's rather optimistic that the game will be able to handle setups like that gracefully at first. But things should still be fun in high randomness high magic worlds.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1706 on: March 08, 2019, 09:51:40 pm »

Worlds where various magic bullshit is available to lots of potentially-irresponsible people are likely to be the more surprising and entertaining ones, at least until other truly world-changing things exist.

What are the societal implications of every single dwarf having a magical ability to kill any creature with a touch? Maybe they're too dangerous to be allowed into human cities, and have complicated laws to keep that power in check. Or maybe dwarven lands are just a chaotic murder-realm which sometimes unleashes an extremely deadly deathtouch martial artist on an unsuspecting world.

Of course it's rather optimistic that the game will be able to handle setups like that gracefully at first. But things should still be fun in high randomness high magic worlds.

his plan is to make the world react appropriately to different magic systems. So yes he will try his best to make the world react appropriately to those sorts of situations. Im sure it wont be anywhere near perfect at first though.
I am an indie game dev!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: March 09, 2019, 02:39:54 pm »

Honestly I'm really looking forward to seeing what kinds of hilarious game-breaking bugs will come with the initial magic release. The possibilities are almost literally endless. :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: March 10, 2019, 02:26:52 am »

So...snatching is now officially a villaneous behaviour. And player adventurers can indulge villaneous behaviour themselves...does this mean our long-held dreams of playing a proper band of goblin snatchers is now possible?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: March 10, 2019, 03:09:18 am »

No, Egan was just matter-of-factly describing how Dwarf Fortress handles orientation.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 388