Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 388

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2838298 times)

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1740 on: March 15, 2019, 10:24:31 am »

Not sure if there's any kind of netiquette regarding these things, but gathered up those parts of the reddit AMA (with a bit of pruning) that felt relevant to development for those that don't want to sift through the whole thing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: March 15, 2019, 10:48:11 am »

Thanks, Manveru. I don't Reddit well so I appreciate it.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1742 on: March 15, 2019, 12:20:07 pm »

Not sure if there's any kind of netiquette regarding these things, but gathered up those parts of the reddit AMA (with a bit of pruning) that felt relevant to development for those that don't want to sift through the whole thing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You missed a few including my own question but all in all not bad.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: March 15, 2019, 12:30:00 pm »

You missed a few including my own question but all in all not bad.

Skipped over stuff that was more general or non-future dev questions or already answered etc to keep it less unwieldy, and stuck to just Tarns answers (but may well have missed relevant stuff too or made seemingly bad calls on what to skip, not used to reddit either and some stuff seemed to want to hide itself). For those interested there's plenty more interesting stuff there, as well as some answers from Mayday and Meph on the tileset work and modding ^^

Edit: Right, you asked stuff in the r/gamedev AMA, felt like there wasn't much there that weren't too niche/relevant enough to copy so just skipped that :P
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:58:58 pm by Manveru Taurënér »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: March 16, 2019, 12:39:52 am »

Great news on the Steam thing. I hope this brings in lots of new players (and their money) for you!

As I read through Meph's threads explaining the tons of sprites that will make the graphical version of DF so interesting, it becomes obvious (as I think it did to you back with Armok I) that graphics can never show everything you want them too. That leaves them as highly detailed, colourful representations, which I guess people accept more so in 2D than 3D but to me is not much more useful than an ASCII character (but that's just me - whatever attracts new players is cool I guess).

So, and I suppose it might be too early to tell, but with all this new income, official graphical version, back up of tremendously cool people...do you feel any pressure to reconsider any features from the point of view of "will this work in the graphical version"?

Examples might be, say, the Half-Elf issue. If you attempt it, it's going to be a lot of work just for the coding. But for tilesets? Sprites for half, quarter, a little bit elves? Green half-goblins? Pale half-goblins with red eyes (two variations from three-toe's own stories). The scope of procgen critters post myth-gen? It's all going to be a headache for the graphics guys but it all seems so essential to making dwarf fortress what it is. (And I guess the reason I'll play the Steam version in ascii, statues of famous bards represented by statues of armoured dwarves just annoys me).

To clarify, I don't mean contractual pressure, but just on the level of consideration for Meph and Mayday's sanity.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • the earth spins very fast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: March 16, 2019, 12:43:50 am »

I say let 'em go insane trying to render maggot people. :)

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: March 16, 2019, 02:23:16 am »

I say let 'em go insane trying to render maggot people. :)
I agree with this. I hope Toady won't let graphical considerations stop him from creating the most extreme fantasy world generator.

As far as I know, one thing you really appreciated about DF was that you didn't have any responsibility towards anyone and you could work on anything you want at any pace you want. Do you feel any sort of mental "consequences" due to putting the game up for sale? Do you feel differently now that you're going to have "customers"?

On Discord you said that most new graphics effects like the transparency feature etc have already been implemented into the game. For how long have you been working on these things exactly? Did you do them secretly at the side during the villain update?

Edit:
Last months answers were really cool:
Quote from: Death Dragon
It's planned that, when you expel someone, the person will remember that negatively and if they have villainous tendencies, they might want to take revenge on you in some way, right?
Would there be a chance that the same could happen when you decline a visitor's petition request or do they currently not care about it either way when you decline those?
Yeah, I should set that up -- I've made a note.  As PatrikLundell said, they have personality-based reactions to it already, and if it does upset them greatly, it should be able to be the basis of a vendetta if they have the proper tendencies.
That is awesome to hear. I hope there will be some cool stories stemming from that.

Quote from: Death Dragon
A while ago in this devlog (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html#2018-12-07), you talked about how the infrastructure of a site can affect and change the population. Do you have an ability like this planned for libraries in the short term, too? For example, them being able to change the moral values of the site population based on what kind of books are stored in it?
Libraries have an effect in world gen in the currently released version, based on the original and copied books that are there.  Every year, each library gets five turns to pick a book.  If the book has a poetic/music/dance form, it has a chance to make that form well-known in the entire parent civ, as a form of cultural diffusion.  If the book promotes a value at a certain level, it makes a roll against the author's skill roll when they made the book.  The local site civ can have their values shifted by 1-2 point (it takes 10 or more to change the visible text for the value), and the parent civ can also be shifted a point, and all sites under the parent civ have a chance to be shifted a point as well.  It's a very rough system (and it doesn't respond gracefully based on the number of books, etc. etc.), but there's something there.
This is amazingly interesting to me. I didn't know it was already possibly for books to change the values of a civilisation. This isn't something you can currently look up in legends mode, is it?
Just to confirm: With "in world gen" you just mean the initial world generation, right? Not the time passing after the world has been finalised?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:46:28 am by Death Dragon »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: March 16, 2019, 03:42:19 am »

Since it's only happening once a year is there any reason to turn it off during background worldgen? I know there are differences, but value change in individuals is still going on. But, meh, what do I know. Awaiting official answer.

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: March 16, 2019, 08:29:06 am »

First off, sorry if I offended with the "like a 1930s apartment block" remark, I was just trying to be witty :)

Second, wow, a graphical DF release, honestly didn't expect this in the near future and am (very pleasantly) surprised! The new graphics look really good!

Since audio is also in the works, thought I'd ask a question about it: are there any potential plans for the Steam release (or later) to have 'ambient sounds', e.g. water dripping/echos in caverns, generic forest sounds when in a woodland, crowd sounds when in a congregated area (such as a tavern), etc.?

Second, more related to the graphical features, I've noticed in the graphical previews that sentient critters in battle actually have differing equipment, armor and appearances - some dwarfs have swords, some maces, some crossbows, some spears, etc. This is another very exciting thing for me. If this will actually be a feature, how far will it go in differentiating sentient creatures by equipment/state? Will it
change their sprites based on:
1. Equipped equipment, and it's state?
2. Clothing, and it's state?
3. Physical appearance, such as bald dwarfs actually being bald, etc.?
4. Wounds, from generic bloodiness when wounded, to possibly even more specific wounds (e.g. decapitation being shown, though I am fully aware that this might be a bit too graphical/gory). Possibly bandages when wounds are healing, also.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:40:33 am by Hapchazzard »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: March 16, 2019, 09:32:46 am »

There are ongoing discussions regarding the new graphics over in the mod/tilesets forum with Meph & Mayday (who are making them). Held weapons and such can be seen in the sprites, while clothing seems to be undergoing debate (dyed red tunic should be red, or colours should match profession as in Classic, etc). Facial hair and hairstyles are hoped for too.

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: March 16, 2019, 10:26:51 am »

There are ongoing discussions regarding the new graphics over in the mod/tilesets forum with Meph & Mayday (who are making them). Held weapons and such can be seen in the sprites, while clothing seems to be undergoing debate (dyed red tunic should be red, or colours should match profession as in Classic, etc). Facial hair and hairstyles are hoped for too.

Just checked, very interesting thread! Thanks for the heads-up!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: March 17, 2019, 05:01:36 am »

Now that there are people other than you looking at graphics, another at music and presumably someone thinking about achievements and stuff, how do you want the Suggestions to work from now on? Continue to throw everything into the Bay12 Suggestions forum and you'll pass on anything you think you want in your game? Or some other way to pass on Suggestions directly?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 05:03:20 am by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: March 17, 2019, 08:00:30 am »

Now that there are people other than you looking at graphics, another at music and presumably someone thinking about achievements and stuff, how do you want the Suggestions to work from now on? Continue to throw everything into the Bay12 Suggestions forum and you'll pass on anything you think you want in your game? Or some other way to pass on Suggestions directly?
The people involved shouldn't have any great problems with locating relevant Suggestion sub forum threads, so my opinion (not being Toady, of course) is that the sub forum should work well regardless of the type of suggestions, although suggestion writers may want to try to keep suggestions that would target different people separated into different threads. At the end of the day, it would be Toady who made the decision, of course, but there's no reason for the various people in the implementation team not to communicate (via the tread or privately) to build a basis for a decision.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: March 17, 2019, 08:03:26 am »

Will the steam version of the game have 3rd party utilities most people used to have like dfhack and dwarf therapist? I mean managing dwarfes and searching in most game windows provided by them is hard to overestimate. Or maybe the steam version will have the same functionality introduced?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1754 on: March 17, 2019, 08:24:36 am »

Probably not: these utilities are made by outsiders, so it would be a lot of paperwork to get them bundled legally without any confusion on who owns what that someone with a lawyer could take advantage of.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 388