Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 391

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2916819 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #195 on: April 12, 2018, 09:56:46 pm »

Sounds pretty obvious. Toady does not want to disappoint modders here.

Hope so. Generated demons, angels and such already mess with player control of mod flavor, though the modder can push back to a limited degree (either not using dark fortresses OR using raw-defined positions seems suffcient to break slade spire events).
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 12, 2018, 10:42:46 pm »

A couple more quick questions;

When you rewrite the map code, can we expect to see any change to aquifers?

I imagine that new versions will include a "vanilla" setting that includes the standard races and enemies with which we are familiar, like the flesh-eating elves and mischievous kobolds. Do you have in mind a standard "vanilla" set of rules in mind for magic and myth once it's implemented, either as a baseline from which other modes deviate or as one permutation amongst many?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 12, 2018, 10:56:30 pm »

A couple more quick questions;

When you rewrite the map code, can we expect to see any change to aquifers?

I imagine that new versions will include a "vanilla" setting that includes the standard races and enemies with which we are familiar, like the flesh-eating elves and mischievous kobolds. Do you have in mind a standard "vanilla" set of rules in mind for magic and myth once it's implemented, either as a baseline from which other modes deviate or as one permutation amongst many?

Almost everything will be procedural, but one combination of settings will play out almost exactly like vanilla, preset races and all, I think

Magic: None [Low] Medium High Very high

Weirdness: None [Low] Medium High Very high

Violence: None Low Medium [High] Very high

Or something like this.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

keupo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 13, 2018, 01:02:49 am »

The new outdoor cleaning feature is nice, but it poses a real problem in evil biomes with blood rain. An order, like the gather refuse outside order, but for cleaning outside would be great. Is this something I could hope for?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 01:04:54 am by keupo »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 13, 2018, 03:02:32 am »

The new outdoor cleaning feature is nice, but it poses a real problem in evil biomes with blood rain. An order, like the gather refuse outside order, but for cleaning outside would be great. Is this something I could hope for?
Suggestions belong to the suggestion thread... For the time being, you can avoid cleaning of roads by not making them or by roofing them over.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 13, 2018, 09:20:51 am »

Just jumping in to remind everyone to color limegreen the questions only, to reduce the amount of text The Great Toady One has to read.
In a time before time, I had a name.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #201 on: April 13, 2018, 10:04:23 am »

What are your thoughts on creatures that went extinct after the technological cutoff of year 1500 (e.g. dronts, tasmanian devils)? Are they excluded from the lists of animals that might be added in the future?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 13, 2018, 11:18:18 am »

What are your thoughts on creatures that went extinct after the technological cutoff of year 1500 (e.g. dronts, tasmanian devils)? Are they excluded from the lists of animals that might be added in the future?

Could've sworn the cutoff was 1400 actually. Not that it matters since fire lances, Greek fire, and a lot of other things would be well before either cutoff...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 13, 2018, 12:37:20 pm »

Just jumping in to remind everyone to color limegreen the questions only, to reduce the amount of text The Great Toady One has to read.
As far as I understand, Toady reads everything. The purpose of the (lime) green indication is to thep Toady find the questions among the chaff when it's time to answer then. Cutting down on the size of the marked part of the post helps keeping the size of the answer post down, though.

I see no reason to apply any strict time limits to flora/fauna, as the 1400 cutoff is a technological guide line. Spheres might provide a reason to introduce things out of time, such as the ice age megafauna or dinosaurs, while whacky worlds might get those or weirder stuff.
And, just to pick nits, tasmanian devils aren't extinct: you're probably thinking about tasmanian tigers (and I think the dront is called dodo in English).

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 13, 2018, 12:41:42 pm »

From DF Talk #20:
Question 9
Threetoe:   Ok, Aaron asks, 'Considering Dwarf Fortress' long development, will animals be removed the game as their real life counterparts go extinct or will animals such as polar bears, gorillas and pandas be kept in Dwarf Fortress even after their extinction in reality? Any plans to include the moa, dodos, or pygmy mammoths that were still kicking around past 1400AD?' Yeah, that's kind of a messed-up question. We were thinking about having the animal sponsorship drive. That didn't really work out that well, well it did monetarily, but it was kind of hard to implement. At one point considering having an extinct animal sponsorship drive.
Toady:   Yeah, it probably wouldn't be a sponsorship drive, at least not the same way. We'd be happy to include extinct animals, and I think it would be just cold, if the polar goes extinct, to remove it from the game, that'd be cold. I'd like to keep the polar bear in there as kind of an homage to the existence of the polar bear, but it is incredibly depressing to think about that. But I'm not removing polar bears from the game.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 13, 2018, 03:56:06 pm »

Once you get to magical artifacts and such, will you consider having certain artifacts be part of a "set" with other artifacts? Like a legendary sword and shield with a special power that only works when you use both of them, or five magical keys that can unlock the secrets of the universe only if you collect them all?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 13, 2018, 04:17:37 pm »

Once you get to magical artifacts and such, will you consider having certain artifacts be part of a "set" with other artifacts? Like a legendary sword and shield with a special power that only works when you use both of them, or five magical keys that can unlock the secrets of the universe only if you collect them all?

DF Talk 7 had a lot of info on artifacts (there's also a second part linked in the dftalk tab):

Capntastic:   Will there be multipart sets like the helmet of Deulath with the gloves of Deulath with the sword of Deulath, brought together.
Toady:   It's kind of a thing where after you've played Diablo II you don't want to do it, but there should be stuff like that. Especially when you come down to a guy who becomes attached to multiple objects or something, the fact that those are kept completely separate from each other is odd. If the guy has a sword and a helmet that he's given names to, and he stabbed the dragon and then drove the helmet through the dragon ...
Interlocutor:   Headbutt.
Toady:   Yeah yeah! Then those things should be linked in history and perhaps even in some magical way ... but certainly historically there should be linkages like that. Now when you're talking about actually creating an artifact I think there was some development item about artifact sets; it's not just for things like the sword and the shield that go together, but more importantly the two gloves that go together that are separate objects, and then also things like several arrows, instead of just one. So there's certainly going to be some expansions there.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 15, 2018, 01:51:22 am »

Great to see the stress release is coming!
Will historical figure dwarves pick up memories in worldgen too? Some of my migrants are war veterans with hundreds of kills and histories of surviving multiple massacres.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 02:10:47 am by Shonai_Dweller »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 15, 2018, 07:04:37 am »

Though it may be self explanatory, will "memories" make the dwarves omniscience without the world end and help them to become more conscious by expressing personal things that have happened to them rather than abstract random civilization events. Poorly travelled dwarves being ignorant etc.

As in to give a relevant example, more strictly enforced civilization & personal level knowledge events, sort of like messing with the configuration that only makes them aware of things that happened on site, and losing touch with the progress of the world if they are separated from regular diplomatic visits from caravans & visitors.

and a side question

Will past memories & events scribed into books, engravings and passed down through generations of oral stories affect dwarves recollection of events?

I look forward when a notable liar historian spreads lies about the histories of the Dwarves and results in causing a conflict because the Monarch got the notion to avenge a artifact falsely taken in a siege of a site years prior to them being born or on part of another war reason from the same fabricated truth.

(I just read the devlog, seems its more a event kind of thing so i guess my second question is open ended)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 08:17:17 am by FantasticDorf »

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 15, 2018, 07:16:49 am »

So, Toady, now that Dwarves risk becoming perma-depressed over a spouse dying (according to the upcoming stress balance update), Is there any plans to allow dwarves to remarry? would be tiresome to get the tavern full of grieving dwarves after every battle with the goblins if they never leave it
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 08:33:05 am by Rubik »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 391