Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851225 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2730 on: December 30, 2019, 04:15:08 am »

When i clicked on it and saw it was "l3.jpg", I immediately changed it to i2 and i1 and then to i5 so i think i saw it all at once.

That's something

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: December 30, 2019, 05:59:55 am »

Ha ha, I've figured out the secret. It's a different picture depending on which part of the word you click on.
Do I get a prize?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: December 30, 2019, 06:55:49 am »

Ohhhh, clever !

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2733 on: December 30, 2019, 07:27:40 am »

What is this ”limb regrowth effect” from the latest devlog? Some new magic effect, or something old like healing due to transformation? Am I right in assuming the latter parts meant this effect (whether new or old) will be moddable in the upcoming version?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: December 30, 2019, 10:29:51 am »

Thats what it sounds like. We definitely dont have a limb regrow effect right now. Can't wait to abuse it to be honest, recuperation attribute only goes so far

Toady, did you remove the body reset from transformations, then?

Can this effect be turned around to remove tissues from limbs, like in the old Armok game?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 10:46:21 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2735 on: December 30, 2019, 10:37:01 am »

Ah, maybe it's from the dice-rolls at the shrines? Because it talks about 'vanilla DF gods'?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: December 30, 2019, 10:43:14 am »

Thats probably where its used then, yeah.

If this is used in dice rolls, and body transformations are too, then there would be two ways to regain lost limbs
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 10:46:26 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2737 on: December 30, 2019, 04:56:33 pm »

So the release will be in january according to the steam update, does this mean you didnt get everything you wanted for this release done, how much did you get done, can you give us a rundown on how close you came to that? How happy are you with it? (I like the good old Tarn Adams rambling)

Will making adventure mode a "fun game" still be a priority after the steam release given that the new players will likely focus on fort mode? Ive been worried about this. As I absolutely love adventure mode and i can see a ton of potential and love it even now given the ludicrous variety of roles the player can fill and the reactive world sim.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 05:08:08 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: December 30, 2019, 06:42:02 pm »

To add to Untrustedlife,

Do you really mean to finalize "Classic" in January, given the previously stated desire to sort out raid crashes and stress/memory issues on top of all the unknown new issues likely to arise from 18 months of pretty amazing and jam-packed development since the last release? Yes, you wrote "After any fires are put out," and I know there's some. . . tension. . . here on the forum between the "Hey, maybe some bug fixes?" and "No, no fix, only feature!" camps, but if there's ever been a time to square some things away before starting a major development cycle, perhaps it's now? Even the biggest "Feature" pushers eventually admitted some stress changes might have been nice by October 2018.
Team Bug Fix!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: December 30, 2019, 07:41:44 pm »

While I'm all for getting a release as soon as possible at this point, I concur that following up this release with a few pre-Steam bugfixes and tweaks would certainly be nice.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: December 30, 2019, 09:04:03 pm »

Gotta assume either the release is basically feature complete (having decided what bits are to be put off until later) and a testing/bug fixing phase is starting or Toady is working on his Steam players relationship by getting the whole "I've never got a release estimate anywhere near right" thing right out in the open from the beginning.

To add to Untrustedlife,

Do you really mean to finalize "Classic" in January, given the previously stated desire to sort out raid crashes and stress/memory issues on top of all the unknown new issues likely to arise from 18 months of pretty amazing and jam-packed development since the last release? Yes, you wrote "After any fires are put out," and I know there's some. . . tension. . . here on the forum between the "Hey, maybe some bug fixes?" and "No, no fix, only feature!" camps, but if there's ever been a time to square some things away before starting a major development cycle, perhaps it's now? Even the biggest "Feature" pushers eventually admitted some stress changes might have been nice by October 2018.
While weird rumours might fly about, I'm pretty sure the "please don't fix bugs" people are a figment of your imagination. There are certainly a fair few people who will point out how things have always worked in the past with bugs fixed before release followed by "putting the fires out" which tends to last a couple of months after release. But that's not the same thing.

Now, that's not the right way to approach the Steam release perhaps, but this isn't that.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 09:13:22 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: December 30, 2019, 11:52:40 pm »

Can characters that got cursed by being bitten by a werecritter be cured by praying to a/the (right) god?
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: December 31, 2019, 06:02:12 am »

The raid equipment crash bug has been burning for 1½ year, and presumably is one of the fires to finally be put out (together with new ones some Villains will start). As a member of the minority "fix more bugs" camp, intentionally misinterpreted by opponents as advocating "don't do anything but fix bugs for the next five years", I can say the "more features" camp generally didn't advocate not fixing bugs at all, but to keep bug fixing to a minimum, in order to move on to the next arc as quickly as possible.

It can be noted that one of the quality measures for a game is how buggy it is perceived by the paying customer, and I believe DF is in a rather poor position for this arena, which ought to mean fixing bugs that confuse newbies ought to be a priority (together with all the other priority work) for the Premium arc. I'm still hoping Toady will start development of the next (Premium) version in parallel with support for the current (Villains) version to prepare for the mayhem that will ensue when the Premium release hits the stores. If that happens, many of the bug fixes made in preparation for the Premium release ought to appear in Villains arc bugfix releases during the development.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: December 31, 2019, 08:05:05 am »

It would probably make sense, and could be interpreted to be the plan here (catching up with the artists), to get working on the graphical updates so as to have it in place for Meph and Mayday as soon as possible to finish the tileset stuff while Toady works on the rest, including bugfixing. Since afaik a lot of the graphical update was still to be decided until Toady gets working on it and figures out what's feasibly doable.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: December 31, 2019, 08:31:51 am »

It would probably make sense, and could be interpreted to be the plan here (catching up with the artists), to get working on the graphical updates so as to have it in place for Meph and Mayday as soon as possible to finish the tileset stuff while Toady works on the rest, including bugfixing. Since afaik a lot of the graphical update was still to be decided until Toady gets working on it and figures out what's feasibly doable.
ONLY if Toady starts supporting the current release in parallel with the next one: It would be a very bad move to fix the game breaking bugs identified within three or so weeks of the Villains release to catch the last Villains bug fix release and then have all the others (including game breaking ones: it took several months for the community to identify the raid equipment crash bug) wait until the Premium release is done (which is the result of immediately jumping onto "graphics" changes and then back to bugs in that code base only, as the "graphics" changes can't be released in a Villains bug fix, since it presumably will break a number of existing "graphics" sets).
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 389