Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 391

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2911174 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #345 on: May 13, 2018, 05:50:18 pm »

In the devblog on memories, you mentioned that the thoughts dwarves dwell upon depend on the personality of the dwarves. Does that mean we can mod stress impact levels indirectly by altering personality raws? Or would that only result in subtle shifts overall?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 13, 2018, 06:08:12 pm »

Making dwarves in general highly unsusceptible to stress will make them stress less, yeah.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 13, 2018, 10:02:46 pm »

Making dwarves in general highly unsusceptible to stress will make them stress less, yeah.
That's not what I meant.
Devblog:
Every so often a dwarf can "remember/relive/dwell upon" the memory, if their personality leans toward the given emotion (positive or negative), and receive an additional stress change. Once a year passes, a short-term memory
That theoretically should mean that personalities leaning towards violence and killing stuff, should get positive reactions from dead bodies.
But I'm pretty sure the personality system isn't that flexible.  I was just wondering how flexible it could be. And how much personality could actually shift stress impact (besides 'not prone to stress').

As an example, one of my citizens "believes taking time off to relax is evil" (or something very similar, not in front of my computer right now). How much less impact is socializing giving him than a regular dorf who loves merrymaking?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:10:28 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 14, 2018, 07:06:26 pm »

1. Of the pre myth and magic update feature candidates remaining which ones if any of them do you think will enhance the first pass of the myth and magic update? For example one recently added feature that might enhance the first pass is being able to see what our adventurers are thinking which may be affected by magic.
2. What types of mages do you think will be available to play as in the first pass of the myth and magic update and which do you think will have to wait till the second pass? Also I'd like to hear your reasoning for this answer.
3. In the myth and magic update will new types structures be generated for housing magical artifacts that aren't directly tied to an existing civilization? For example a temple created by gods to house a magic staff.
4. In terms of the magic items that don't seem to be artificially made such as the example of the cosmic egg pieces how do you plan to handle their placement assuming there's no artificial structure made to house them? Can an adventurer just be walking through the woods and find a powerful magic item just lying on the ground?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 15, 2018, 02:53:00 am »

1. Of the pre myth and magic update feature candidates remaining which ones if any of them do you think will enhance the first pass of the myth and magic update? For example one recently added feature that might enhance the first pass is being able to see what our adventurers are thinking which may be affected by magic.
2. What types of mages do you think will be available to play as in the first pass of the myth and magic update and which do you think will have to wait till the second pass? Also I'd like to hear your reasoning for this answer.
3. In the myth and magic update will new types structures be generated for housing magical artifacts that aren't directly tied to an existing civilization? For example a temple created by gods to house a magic staff.
4. In terms of the magic items that don't seem to be artificially made such as the example of the cosmic egg pieces how do you plan to handle their placement assuming there's no artificial structure made to house them? Can an adventurer just be walking through the woods and find a powerful magic item just lying on the ground?

3. That sounds a lot like the current vaults.
4. As far as I understand, a cosmic egg shell is quite large, so it would be a feature dominating an area (I don't know if the area would be on the 16*16 in game tiles, mid level tile (48*48 in game tiles), or world tile scale). Within the area it dominates I would expect it to either replace normal features completely (such as a shell replacing the ground, for instance), or add effects (such as special flora/fauna available, as well as shell pieces [either loose items or something that can be mined]. A combination wouldn't be out of the question either, such as a central feature (along the lines of candy spires or magma pipes, but not necessarily as deep) with possible additional features around it [shell blossoms, cosmic fowl, cosmic gnats, shell crystals]. I wouldn't be surprised if those kind of features would have different scales depending on the feature.
I wouldn't expect any of these features to be on the single item scale, and I wouldn't expect myth resultant artifacts to start out just dropped in the middle of nowhere (obviously they can end up there as a result of actions after the generation of them, but it wouldn't make much sense for the powers to just toss it out blindly [except possibly for an RNG power...]).

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 16, 2018, 01:13:38 pm »

At its current state, how feasible would it be to convert biome generation into a raw-based system? Have you considered this in the past?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 16, 2018, 03:37:52 pm »

At its current state, how feasible would it be to convert biome generation into a raw-based system? Have you considered this in the past?
Biomes are currently generated based on world tile parameters approximating how biomes appear in the real world. The set of biomes covers all combinations of these parameters such that you get exactly one one biome given the parameters (and the PSV set is not complete, by the way). If biomes where treated as disconnected pieces you could play with individually you could easily get parameter combinations that would not result in any biome at all, as well as ones that would match several biomes (in which case I guess you could RNG it). I assume you could have a "background" biome you'd end up with if nothing fits to cover the holes.
When wacky worlds make it in the current biome set would have to be changed into biome sets that make (some kind of) sense in each setting.
It can also be noted that the logic for how biomes are determined is rather complex (again, to approximate real biomes), which cannot be reduced to simple raw descriptions (it can obviously be translated into complex raw descriptions...).

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #352 on: May 16, 2018, 10:33:26 pm »

Its been awhile since i was active here!
So whats next for adventure mode? (I think im one of the few people on here who plays adventure mode way more then fort mode because i absolutely love it and think even now its one of the best RPG's ever made because of all the options and ways we can interact with the world, (such as the fact that we can join a bandit group, which i do way too often)) anyway, onto my question,

1.Any plans for players to be able to say, open up their own shops?

2. Do you plan to expand adventurer banditry? (Right now when you join a bandit gang the bandit leader basically acts just like a lord and gives you the same tasks as a lord which don't always make much sense for a bandit)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:39:46 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 16, 2018, 10:40:08 pm »

So whats next for adventure mode? (I think im one of the few people on here who plays adventure mode way more then fort mode because i absolutely love it and think even now its one of the best RPG's ever made because of all the options and ways we can interact with the world, (such as the fact that we can join a bandit group, which i do way too often)) anyway, onto my question,

1.any plans for players to be able to say, open up their own shops?

2. Do you plan to expand adventurer banditry? (Right now when you join a bandit gang the bandit leader basically acts just like a lord and gives you the same tasks as a lord)

Current 'small improvements' phase has been extended to make up for the long years we'll spend waiting for Mythgen.
Next 4-5 months for Adventurer (not everything, it's just a list of 'possibilities'):

Adventure overview improvements (partially done)
 Prioritize important information
 Show personal relationships, latest people met, global
 reputations
 Show site relations and entity positions, map holdings

Improved character creation
 Mounts and pets
 Adventurer party support

Adventurer military improvements
 Gaining civ-level entity positions (e.g. baron) by reputation or intrigue
 Basic command of large armies on travel-scale map
 Giving local combat orders to companions (see Your Followers below)
 Tactical party controls
 Medical improvements

Better quest handling
 Better reputation and proximity checks
 Can ask about specific opportunities
 Changing how reputation titles work
 Ability to ask after artifacts

Villainous plots
 Work existing mechanics into conspiracy chains
  Bandit groups raid and pillage the hill dwarves and extort from the fortress
  Steal/demand artifacts
  Thieves stealing items
  Assassination of position-holding dwarves and meddling adventurers
 Prisoner interrogations (both modes)
 Receiving tips and rumors (both modes)
 Sending out dwarven agents/investigators
 Improve fort/adv rumor displays to highlight known plot elements

Hideouts and strongholds
 Better alerts and identity checks
 Includes bandit forts, return of castles, better necromancer towers

"Villainous plots" onwards seems to be a mix of fortress and adventurer stuff. Compete list here (including everything further down on 'improved sieges' except moving fortress part related stuff like traps and siege engines).
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:10:17 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 17, 2018, 03:56:43 am »

[color=limegreen
:
1.Any plans for players to be able to say, open up their own shops?
:
[/color]
1. I wouldn't expect that to happen until there's an economy for the shops to act in, i.e. in/post the future economy arc.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 18, 2018, 03:53:18 pm »

Can non-dwarf citizens of your civilization come to your fort as migrants? If not, why can't they?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 01:45:17 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 18, 2018, 04:39:30 pm »

I think that's something for the gameplay questions forum, not here. It's called FUTURE of the Fortress, not "parts of the fortress present that I have questions about".
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 18, 2018, 04:56:12 pm »

I think that's something for the gameplay questions forum, not here. It's called FUTURE of the Fortress, not "parts of the fortress present that I have questions about".
It has been answered in this thread before though. Don't recall the answer. Search for long enough and you'll find it.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 18, 2018, 05:58:52 pm »

That is totally a proper question for this thread. Toady rarely answers questiobs in other threads, and I think no one else really knows the answer.

If anything questions here should be more like that and less about the distant future and hypothetical scenarios lile most of the questions here nowadays. Though I guess the lackluster devlogs nowadays is more to blame.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 18, 2018, 06:25:02 pm »

Fotf August 2017 (so reasoning may have changed a little since then as we're more used to mixed race fortresses now):

What's the story on getting non-dwarves in migrant waves or animal-people visitors?  Seems like animal-people don't show up in player fortresses nearly as much as they do in generated fortresses.

Toady's reply:
Since we didn't know how non-dwarf citizens would turn out (in terms of clothing production etc.), they are disallowed as general migrants.  I'm still not sure where we're at there.

I'd be interested in hearing if the thinking has changed since then.

Though I guess the lackluster devlogs nowadays is more to blame.

Devblog continues to log (almost every single week for years and years) what's happening. That's mostly bug-fixing right now. Do you think Toady's writing skills have decreased, or are you just bored with current development? The updates on memory, development notes for the next few months, mythgen lecturers have been fantastic.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 06:32:41 pm by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 391