Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 391

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2913486 times)

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #360 on: May 18, 2018, 07:17:03 pm »

would the toad ever make a pun gen for df
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 18, 2018, 07:25:09 pm »

Limegreen if that's a serious question.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 18, 2018, 09:46:39 pm »

You could say it's a question that'll make Toady green around the gills.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 18, 2018, 10:02:05 pm »

Farther into the horizon:

Do you like the idea of actually generating the music that dwarves make and playing it during gameplay? Do you think using tools like Magenta make it feasible?

Right now however:

Will visitors and diplomats be able to start trouble? Will we be able to punish visitors and maybe demand reparations from a diplomats civilization?
In a time before time, I had a name.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 18, 2018, 10:45:10 pm »

Devblog continues to log (almost every single week for years and years) what's happening. That's mostly bug-fixing right now. Do you think Toady's writing skills have decreased, or are you just bored with current development? The updates on memory, development notes for the next few months, mythgen lecturers have been fantastic.

You follow DF since when? Toady used to make much more extensive and frequent updates at the devlog.(a long time ago almost daily)

I am very interested in the current development as I remember the day he announced he was going to work on the army arc back in 2007. Being able to send armies to siege enemies is the single feature I am most eager to have since back then. However, most of the questions asked here are about features he isn't even started to work on, that may be years away yet (or may never come),  instead of questions about what he is working right now. Even in the recent past people would mostly question him about things he said in the devlogs.

Last month we had 2 devlogs about development (the others were about reply to FoTF, release or bug-fixing). This month we had one, and we are already going to the end of the month. He didn't even update the Development page after the last version.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 18, 2018, 11:20:13 pm »

I doubt he has as much time for that as he used to. As the fan base grows, so do his responsibilities. Bug tracker, forums, etc.

He tends to post a devlog entry once a week. The content of that entry is mostly what he's currently working on, and right now that's bug fixes.
Seems future stuff is mainly discussed here or in DF talks, and it's been four years since the last talk.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:22:50 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 18, 2018, 11:32:20 pm »

I doubt he has as much time for that as he used to. As the fan base grows, so do his responsibilities. Bug tracker, forums, etc.

He tends to post a devlog entry once a week. The content of that entry is mostly what he's currently working on, and right now that's bug fixes.
Seems future stuff is mainly discussed here or in DF talks, and it's been four years since the last talk.

He surely have his reasons, though the sparses devlogs may be one of the causes of decreasing activity in the forums.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 19, 2018, 04:13:17 am »

Complaint about Toady's dev logging:
When I started with DF, early in 0.40.X, entries were made about every 3-7 days. The rate has decreased and then rebound somewhat, but it's rarely less than a week in between them. However, the end/beginning of the month posts are generally empty of development info, and to compound that, development reports tend to be skipped if they'd appear less than about a week before a month shift report. The updated dev "plan" page is very nice to see, though, as it gives a good indication of what's in the cards.

@pikachu17: You might want to update your post to give it proper color indications, as whatever you entered manually doesn't work. Otherwise Toady might miss it when answering questions.
Non dwarven migrants: Players of low pop fortresses would get issues with getting reproducing pairs of citizens if you add not only age difference, but also race into the mix. Apart from that, the clothing issue has been (sort of) solved since the last answer.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 19, 2018, 04:24:26 am »

That is purely a gameplay reason though, and I like it when DF is harder either way.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 19, 2018, 04:40:03 am »

The percentage of non-dwarf citizens in a typical dwarf civ is so low, I doubt that people playing low pop fortresses would ever have to worry about having too many races in the fortress to form breeding pairs.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 19, 2018, 06:29:10 am »

If anything questions here should be more like that and less about the distant future and hypothetical scenarios lile most of the questions here nowadays.

DF Talk was a good outlet for it but it's fallen by the wayside.

What happened to DF talk? Was it more that it's difficult to organize with you and rainseeker/captain being busy or is it more that you ran out of questions and topics to discuss?

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 19, 2018, 04:31:52 pm »

1. In terms of magical crafting in the first pass of the myth and magic update will there be forms of magic crafting that require stationary work areas such as an alchemy lab or run scribing table? If so would an adventurer in those worlds be able to participate in magic crafting if they found one of those work areas or would such crafting be fortress mode only?
2. Will it be possible in some worlds for civilizations to create magic buildings for use defending or improving the well being of their sites? For example a magic savvy civilization might make a tower to put a force field around their sites to keep unwanted visitors out or a tower that improves crop yield in their farms?
3. In the first pass of the myth and magic update might some forms of magic be affected by what an adventurer is feeling? For example one magic might be more effective if an adventurer is happy and less if they are sad?
4. Might our adventurer's relationships with npcs in the first pass of the myth and magic update affect how effective some forms of magic are? For example a harming spell might be more effective against someone you really hate?

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 19, 2018, 04:35:46 pm »

You could say it's a question that'll make Toady green around the gills.
i'm not sure but it would be fun to try to get him to do that
(tho i doubt it will happen)
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 19, 2018, 06:59:04 pm »

In all seriousness, it would be pretty difficult (not impossible perhaps, but still probably best left as one of those things for after all the core features are implemented in 20 years or so).
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 19, 2018, 07:08:06 pm »

1. In terms of magical crafting in the first pass of the myth and magic update will there be forms of magic crafting that require stationary work areas such as an alchemy lab or run scribing table? If so would an adventurer in those worlds be able to participate in magic crafting if they found one of those work areas or would such crafting be fortress mode only?
2. Will it be possible in some worlds for civilizations to create magic buildings for use defending or improving the well being of their sites? For example a magic savvy civilization might make a tower to put a force field around their sites to keep unwanted visitors out or a tower that improves crop yield in their farms?
3. In the first pass of the myth and magic update might some forms of magic be affected by what an adventurer is feeling? For example one magic might be more effective if an adventurer is happy and less if they are sad?
4. Might our adventurer's relationships with npcs in the first pass of the myth and magic update affect how effective some forms of magic are? For example a harming spell might be more effective against someone you really hate?

These are more like suggestions.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 391