Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850186 times)

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #375 on: May 19, 2018, 08:55:05 pm »

1. In terms of magical crafting in the first pass of the myth and magic update will there be forms of magic crafting that require stationary work areas such as an alchemy lab or run scribing table? If so would an adventurer in those worlds be able to participate in magic crafting if they found one of those work areas or would such crafting be fortress mode only?
2. Will it be possible in some worlds for civilizations to create magic buildings for use defending or improving the well being of their sites? For example a magic savvy civilization might make a tower to put a force field around their sites to keep unwanted visitors out or a tower that improves crop yield in their farms?
3. In the first pass of the myth and magic update might some forms of magic be affected by what an adventurer is feeling? For example one magic might be more effective if an adventurer is happy and less if they are sad?
4. Might our adventurer's relationships with npcs in the first pass of the myth and magic update affect how effective some forms of magic are? For example a harming spell might be more effective against someone you really hate?

These are more like suggestions.
Well hopefully I have better luck next time.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 20, 2018, 04:29:53 am »

1. In terms of magical crafting in the first pass of the myth and magic update will there be forms of magic crafting that require stationary work areas such as an alchemy lab or run scribing table? If so would an adventurer in those worlds be able to participate in magic crafting if they found one of those work areas or would such crafting be fortress mode only?
2. Will it be possible in some worlds for civilizations to create magic buildings for use defending or improving the well being of their sites? For example a magic savvy civilization might make a tower to put a force field around their sites to keep unwanted visitors out or a tower that improves crop yield in their farms?
3. In the first pass of the myth and magic update might some forms of magic be affected by what an adventurer is feeling? For example one magic might be more effective if an adventurer is happy and less if they are sad?
4. Might our adventurer's relationships with npcs in the first pass of the myth and magic update affect how effective some forms of magic are? For example a harming spell might be more effective against someone you really hate?

These are more like suggestions.
Well hopefully I have better luck next time.
It's probably too early to say what will and what will not appear in the *first* Myth & Magic arc.
2. Permanent/long term area effect magic is likely to appear for fortress mode at some time. Whether those will take the form of constructions, rituals, or something else will probably be world dependent.
3/4. Sounds rather unlikely. The first arc will likely chisel out the broad features, not paint the freckles in the face.

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 20, 2018, 09:42:23 am »

1. Since the magic update plans to include the possibility of entire regions changing due to magical influence, would it be possible to apply this system to simulate more gradual, natural regional changes? For example, desertification, rivers changing course, glaciers advancing and receding, etc. (this question might have been asked before, if it was, feel free to disregard it)

2. Currently, worldgen adventurers seem to be able to recover artifacts from ruined sites. Would it be possible to expand their behavior to also include the generalized ability to behave as looters and steal regular items? Right now, it seems that a site can be abandoned for a thousand years and it'll still have all of it's fine steel equipment neatly piled up in the barracks, untouched.

3. Is some kind of ruin overhaul in the plans for the next few releases in general, in the sense of actually simulating decay through the ages? Right now, they just feel like ordinary sites, just without any inhabitants.

4. Will world-ending artifacts be a thing? How would they be balanced?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 20, 2018, 09:47:14 am »

4. Will world-ending artifacts be a thing? How would they be balanced?

Not in all worlds, and balance depends on the sliders, so a high-weirdness world will have very imbalanced spells and artifacts.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 20, 2018, 12:38:56 pm »

Now that memories can change a dwarf's personality facets, what kinds of changes will we most likely see? Will specific memories be much more likely to change facets tied to the kind of memory, or will it be more random? Will this happen at all during world-gen?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #380 on: May 21, 2018, 12:52:08 pm »

1.In the development plans it says there are plans for the adventurer to play as a wizards apprentice with a whole section for what the player should be able to do in that situation, isn’t that more like an adventurer role? Along the same lines as the thief role.

2. Will the player be able to become the master and hire there own apprentices.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 21, 2018, 04:04:47 pm »

1.In the development plans it says there are plans for the adventurer to play as a wizards apprentice with a whole section for what the player should be able to do in that situation, isn’t that more like an adventurer role? Along the same lines as the thief role.

Adventurer "roles" won't be specified in game explicitly according to the notes, they're just arcs of features to allow you more things to do in Adventurer. Like being a wizards apprentice.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #382 on: May 21, 2018, 05:35:40 pm »

I know, I play tons of adventure mode and have listened to all the df talks miltiple times. I was just thinking it was in an odd place, feels like it needs its own section.

Sorry if I confused you.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:37:28 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 21, 2018, 05:44:10 pm »

I know, I play tons of adventure mode and have listened to all the df talks miltiple times. I was just thinking it was in an odd place, feels like it needs its own section.

Sorry if I confused you.
Ah, probably because it was added later than the other roles when the mythgen notes went up. So it's something specifically for one of the mythgen updates to look at as opposed to the unordered lists at the bottom. Top of the list is newer than the bottom confusingly.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 23, 2018, 01:58:34 am »

Hi Toady, a question about the myth generator (not that you were lacking any).

Do you intend to allow the forces / tools / aspects of deities to be personified?
Like the loom used to shape fate being both a loom and an individual.
If so, how do you think you'll make it reliably interesting?
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 23, 2018, 11:13:16 am »

Is there any plans in the near future to be able to get skilled craftsmen in the visitors who can petition to stay for work?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

SlapFactory

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 23, 2018, 05:10:37 pm »

I was going over the development page and got extremely excited when I read "Bringing back lost deities/titans". I then realized that this specific item is under the section for Creation Myths. Still a really neat thing I look forward to but it got me wondering;

Are there plans or thoughts on "Bringing back lost deities/titans" as something achievable in fortress mode? I've done a little digging and cant find if there are plans (or not) for major 'ritual'-type goals for fortress mode.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 23, 2018, 05:42:38 pm »

I was going over the development page and got extremely excited when I read "Bringing back lost deities/titans". I then realized that this specific item is under the section for Creation Myths. Still a really neat thing I look forward to but it got me wondering;

Are there plans or thoughts on "Bringing back lost deities/titans" as something achievable in fortress mode? I've done a little digging and cant find if there are plans (or not) for major 'ritual'-type goals for fortress mode.
Yes, that's an in-game goal. Creation myths aren't just extra fluff for Legends Mode, they'll effect the actual world through magic systems, religions, magical biomes, artifacts and the ability for the player to actually effect Change in the world (like bringing back lost deities through ritual for example). Rituals are likely to be possible in both modes (but not in all worlds).

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 23, 2018, 09:29:53 pm »

Would such rituals be possible for NPCs in addition to players? The dev log seemed kinda vague on that. IMO magic-based cults attempting to resurrect lost titans of the ancient world would be really cool villains for adventurers to face on occasion.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 23, 2018, 09:55:29 pm »

Would such rituals be possible for NPCs in addition to players? The dev log seemed kinda vague on that. IMO magic-based cults attempting to resurrect lost titans of the ancient world would be really cool villains for adventurers to face on occasion.
That'd presumably be an extension to the upcoming Villainous Plots development. DF is about simulating a world which you happen to be in, there's almost nothing that is meant just for a single player run fortress to experience (in the long-term).

If it happened in a pulpy fantasy novel somewhere, DF aims to recreate it (eventually).
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 389