Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850185 times)

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3945 on: April 02, 2021, 03:23:52 am »

Thanks as always for the answers!

I'll go ahead and throw the one you missed about z-levels back in the mix:

"So, does this mean we can actually make multi z-level tall bed/throne rooms (if their assignment works the same way as with other zones)?"

--From /u/bbkilmister on reddit, excellent question!
[snip]

The question was answered, although that particular variation of the question wasn't quoted:
"
Always the same z level!  Any fundamental change to the 'building' concept is going to have to wait until the map rewrite.
:
"

That makes sense, but while it's reasonably likely the answer will be the same, Shonai's question about z levels was specifically about archery ranges, a type of building with the very odd requirements to be same z-level and walkable to work, and we'd been told they no longer needed to be walkable. Bedrooms are neither buildings nor have those other requirements exactly.

The answer likewise referred directly to "the 'building' concept", so I'll hope against hope for another month. It wouldn't be terribly shocking to find bedrooms and other types of rooms becoming more like locations and allowing wholly disconnected areas, or just simple multi-z level selection so that even if dwarves won't look up at the 4 stories of engraved walls in the King's Great Hall, they'll at least appreciate its absolutely stunning value. :)

You're probably right about the eventual answer, though.
Team Bug Fix!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: April 02, 2021, 08:52:40 pm »

Will it be possible to play the older versions of DF to be available to play on Steam and itch? I understand that remaking them on the same scale the current version is being updated, but making them available to play as they are available now on bay12?
What do you hope to achieve playing in Steam that you can't do by just downloading and playing the games from Bay12?

Obviously the graphics, Workshop, the music and achievements won't work. It won't play in a "cloud" somewhere because saving the game won't work (as that's being changed for the Steam release), so it'll be identical to downloading and playing the game at the moment from Bay12 but downloading it from Steam instead. And likely costing Kitfox money to do so (not sure of the particulars of having Steam host free games)

A link to Bay12Games in the Steam game description would work just as well.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 08:56:26 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: April 03, 2021, 10:37:22 am »

If you have an idea at this early stage, roughly speaking, how will the steam workshop handle mods and their compatibility/conflicts? That is, different mods making changes to the same raw files or objects?

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: April 03, 2021, 08:03:10 pm »

If you have an idea at this early stage, roughly speaking, how will the steam workshop handle mods and their compatibility/conflicts? That is, different mods making changes to the same raw files or objects?

I'm excited to see how this goes. Hopefully tilesets won't touch the raws anymore, at least. I know there have been a couple different mod merging projects to reconcile multiple mods, and mods with tilesets, but my impression is they've not solved the problem.
Team Bug Fix!

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: April 08, 2021, 02:15:29 am »

I'm excited to see how this goes. Hopefully tilesets won't touch the raws anymore, at least. I know there have been a couple different mod merging projects to reconcile multiple mods, and mods with tilesets, but my impression is they've not solved the problem.

Incidentally, I have another related question along these lines.

Are the graphics raws (ie `[OBJECT:GRAPHICS]`) likely to change much/be made obsolete (compared to now) when the Steam release comes out?

And in general I guess, what sort of changes can we expect to happen in the raw files for the Steam release (and also the accompanying Classic version update)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: April 08, 2021, 03:01:58 am »

Are the graphics raws (ie `[OBJECT:GRAPHICS]`) likely to change much/be made obsolete (compared to now) when the Steam release comes out?
:
The Premium release will see a separation of tile sets from raws (to e.g. allow a Premium version player to share a save with a Classic version player regardless of whether the Premium player uses the Premium tile set unavailable to the Classic version). This means the raw information will be reorganized. Also, the new tile set functionality introduced by the Premium release will have to get raw representations, some of which may well replace some that exists now. Thus, migrating an existing tile set to work with the Premium release is probably a fair bit of work, mostly because the raw info has to be moved to fit into the decoupled organization (plus an optional amount of work to support the new functionality, if desired: you can spend more work than what Meph + Mayday does for the official Premium version tile set to support what's possible but they simply don't have time to support [now]).

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: April 08, 2021, 04:29:21 am »

And in general I guess, what sort of changes can we expect to happen in the raw files for the Steam release (and also the accompanying Classic version update)?

In addition to PatrikLundell's excellent answer, Meph has opened a thread on how to prepare to make and convert Premium/Classic era tilesets you might be interested in. You may also get quicker answers there: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=178199.0
Team Bug Fix!

Relative_Programming

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: April 09, 2021, 02:14:20 am »

Hi,
will there be smooth scrolling of the view of the current area in the Steam version?

Thanks for making such a great game :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 07:16:39 am by Relative_Programming »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: April 09, 2021, 03:30:05 am »

Lime green text if that's a question you want an official answer to.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: April 09, 2021, 05:32:09 am »

Will there be a way to change the positions and/or sizes of some UI elements (buttons, menus etc), either as an ingame option/setting, or via modding? I ask because in so far, I'm a bit worried about how far spread out various UI elements are:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The stocks and play/pause buttons are up in the top right, and most of the main options are along the bottom (in the left, middle, and right of the screen on the bottom), and when an option is selected, they bring up a box high up on the left; it's mostly okay in these pictures because the windows are smaller, but in larger windows/screens (like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5x_ZCo2B2k&list=PLAcQJt6sSXKBnycjCT2Hprq1bIgnM1vPp) the buttons are proportionally much smaller and further apart, making for quite a distance for mouse travel between different options (and even different steps of the same options).

I know the keyboard shortcuts will still exist, but still.

Also, if on a higher elevation layer, can creatures below be seen on the terrain?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: April 17, 2021, 04:26:06 am »

Happy birthday Toady !

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: April 17, 2021, 10:21:52 am »

Will there be a way to change the positions and/or sizes of some UI elements (buttons, menus etc), either as an ingame option/setting, or via modding? I ask because in so far, I'm a bit worried about how far spread out various UI elements are: ...
I second this question/worry, and truly hope we can play entirely without the mouse!

Happy birthday, Tarn!
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: April 17, 2021, 09:52:28 pm »

1. What are the factors that cause bandit camps to spawn besides the banditry percentage token in the entity file? I've genned a world that's all mountains/tundra and no water at all, which seems to have prevented them from being constructed. I'm wondering if there's something I could tweak to alter this.
2. Besides being able to create reanimated minions, what are the factors which influence an NPC to build a necromancer tower? I'm trying to create a situation where a creature spreads the necromancy syndrome via a werebeast bite, but the victims never seem to build towers. Is it a matter of having the syndrome alter their personalities so they want to build towers, or something more complex? I know the only people who get slabs in the first place desire immortality, so that might have something to do with it.
3. How will the steam modding workshop function after the steam release? Are there any plans to use it or will mods just remain on the normal uploading websites?
4. Are there any pre-Big Wait changes to the armor and weapon raws planned?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 03:56:51 pm by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: April 18, 2021, 02:25:48 am »

:
2. Besides being able to create reanimated minions, what are the factors which influence an NPC to build a necromancer tower? I'm trying to create a situation where a creature spreads the necromancy syndrome via a werebeast bite, but the victims never seem to build towers. Is it a matter of having the syndrome alter their personalities so they want to build towers, or something more complex? I know the only people who get slabs in the first place desire immortality, so that might have something to do with it.
3. How will the steam modding workshop function after the steam release? Are there any plans to use it or will mods just remain on the normal uploading websites?

2: Villains can offer immortality as an incentive to work for them (both vampirism and necromancy), and presumably those who accept that offer also desire immortality. Thus, it's likely the immortality drive is a factor behind a desire to build towers (although I could make a case for e.g. knowledge seeking to be another driving factor if you'd acquired it through other means, such as reading a book with the secret).
3: Steam Workshop support has been mentioned in the past, indicating it will be supported. It would be illogical to remove mods from Bay12 before the Classic version is abandoned (which isn't planned).

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: April 29, 2021, 07:47:18 am »

I'm not sure if it's been replied before. It is likely, but I'll take the chance.
I just watched the Spring update video, and it reminded me of this question I had for a while :

1. Will the graphical release have keyboard shortcuts ? Asking because it seems slower to use the mouse in certain situations...
2. Will the game have full keyboard-only support, or will you must use the mouse at some points ?
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 389