Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850769 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3990 on: May 17, 2021, 11:19:05 am »

There are some animated textures in the game currently: alternating tiles for creatures (e.g. zombies) and grass (e.g. wormy tentrils). In one of the most recent DF talks (either 27 or 28) it was also mentioned that dwarven cheese will get a little animation, so we are getting more if it with Premium. Whether this means all textures/graphically represented things will have support for animations, and whether we can get more than 2 frames per texture, I do not know.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: May 17, 2021, 07:18:26 pm »

In one of the most recent DF talks (either 27 or 28) it was also mentioned that dwarven cheese will get a little animation, so we are getting more if it with Premium.
I don't think I want to eat animated cheese.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: May 17, 2021, 09:05:04 pm »

In one of the most recent DF talks (either 27 or 28) it was also mentioned that dwarven cheese will get a little animation, so we are getting more if it with Premium.

Why not?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: May 18, 2021, 11:17:10 am »

Is the new update going to feature cheddarmancers? I guess an animated cheese would automatically hate all lactose-free beings?

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: May 19, 2021, 01:56:10 pm »

Why not?

Because the larvae in the cheese can launch themselves for distances up to 15 centimetres (6 in) when disturbed,[4][11] diners hold their hands above the sandwich to prevent the maggots from leaping.

Dwarven Cheese Artillery incoming

Imagine Maggots launching themselves out of someones mouth when they speak with you.

DF needs self-launching maggots now. 

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #3995 on: May 20, 2021, 02:35:31 am »

DF needs self-launching maggots now.

Cap Hopper: A tiny amphibian with a long prehensile tail.
Depending on your definition of maggot (there is no taxonomic definition) cap hoppers may be self-launching maggots. They sure like to jump all over my cavern-pasture stockpiles.

Anyways, back on topic: The Premium graphics currently show tiles from Z-levels below the current one (if no obstacles occlude them of course).
1) Will the Classic graphics also do this?
2) Will (clear) glass become transparent?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: May 20, 2021, 03:00:14 am »

@Mobbstar:
(I'd definitely say a maggot should be an invertebrate, and would say they shouldn't have any limbs either)

1. You can't really do that with characters, although since they're actually sprites it still ought to be possible to apply some kind of fading effect, but it would likely look rather odd (and would result in an abandonment of the current Classic character tiles in that it would break the restrictions on them, like the limited set of colors that can apply to the character and background independently; I'm not sure a wider color palette would be an issue [but ask current fans of the character tile set first]).
2. Unlikely, as that would mean a change to the mechanics.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: May 20, 2021, 05:13:45 am »

From what I've seen with glass bridge previews shown by Meph, I'd say yes. This probably won't have a mechanical difference though, just visual.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: May 20, 2021, 07:22:09 am »

From what I've seen with glass bridge previews shown by Meph, I'd say yes. This probably won't have a mechanical difference though, just visual.
If that is so, then either the mechanics ought to follow suit or the rendering changed to match the implementation. It's not good when the visuals imply something that isn't actually working that way in the game. A real life bridge made out of glass would (if it wouldn't shatter) probably let a little light through, but smear it out completely so no shapes were seen. If nothing else, it would quickly be scratched.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: May 20, 2021, 08:05:36 am »

If that is so, then either the mechanics ought to follow suit or the rendering changed to match the implementation. It's not good when the visuals imply something that isn't actually working that way in the game. A real life bridge made out of glass would (if it wouldn't shatter) probably let a little light through, but smear it out completely so no shapes were seen. If nothing else, it would quickly be scratched.

I mean, it's not *very* transparent:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: May 20, 2021, 11:10:22 am »

On the Steam build; the preview of the Trade Depot & Wagons / Pack Animals was nice, but gave me the feeling of being too much detail that most players will overlook.  For the sake of your own time and mental energy, has there been any instances where you decided that a certain feature (graphics or UI) would be nice, but ultimately not worth the effort?

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: May 22, 2021, 02:35:39 pm »

On the Steam build; the preview of the Trade Depot & Wagons / Pack Animals was nice, but gave me the feeling of being too much detail that most players will overlook.  For the sake of your own time and mental energy, has there been any instances where you decided that a certain feature (graphics or UI) would be nice, but ultimately not worth the effort?

The business of game development is, at its heart, a never ending series of prioritization decisions. I promise that for every idea that is implemented, there are a million and one ways that were considered that were deemed less optimal from an engineering time to fun ratio perspective. I would guess that driving their schedule is a list of user interfaces that sorely need to be renovated, and recently the trade depots' turn came up, and what we see is their best effort to modernize that tired old two-column text display.

If it does seem perhaps a bit fancier than we would have expected, that might mean we are starting to see the fruits of core engineering improvements, like displaying assortments of items. That code may be reusable for stockpiles or workshops, for instance.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: May 22, 2021, 03:35:06 pm »

I think it was mentioned at some point that vampires would be getting a look-over/improvement in the near future? Are there any particular ideas being considered and would they be moddable?
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: May 22, 2021, 05:45:12 pm »

I think it was mentioned at some point that vampires would be getting a look-over/improvement in the near future? Are there any particular ideas being considered and would they be moddable?

Not for Steam Release, which is pretty much all that's going on for the "near future" (a year or so). Likely will see some general improvements (along with everyone else) in how they act as Villains is completed after Steam.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4004 on: May 23, 2021, 01:38:18 am »

”Near future” improvements for vampires could mean either the villains or the myth&magic arc, both after the Premium release. It depends on when you’ve heard it. Myth&magic has been promised some modding support, though no one knows the full extent of it yet (of course).
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 389