Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851218 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2018, 02:28:09 am »

PTW
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2018, 02:34:01 pm »

Welp, a new thread means I guess it's that time again, since it hasn't been seen in a while.

Giant desert scorpions when? :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2018, 05:02:15 pm »

Welp, a new thread means I guess it's that time again, since it hasn't been seen in a while.

Giant desert scorpions when? :V
Mañana

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2018, 05:25:56 pm »

I was wondering when this question would happen again :)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2018, 05:45:51 pm »

It was inevitable.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2018, 01:06:26 pm »

Lots of fun new off-site raiding options. I wonder if some people will manage to make 100% tribute/raiding-dependent fortresses?
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2018, 02:28:58 pm »

Will there be any limit to how powerful magic is?
You'll really need to define what you mean by that. What does "powerful" mean to a race who have the innate ability to transform into a bucket?

Generating a world in which children can destroy the earth at will, would be kind of annoying, sure, so in that respect I imagine there are certain 'limits'.
That's kinda what I'm talking about, just overall how powerful can magic be (can people get turned into inanimate objects, can a single spell kill everything on the planet, is it possible to have a spell that makes it permanently winter, etc.) just looking for the limit of how crazy the magic system can be.

I imagine that there would be the scale on how much magic there is, where a "low tier" magical world would be more or less equivelant to the current necromancy/alchemy systems, and a "top end" magical world would probably end up becoming "Everyone is now a wagon, also I set the whole world on fire, have !FUN!".
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2018, 04:43:56 pm »

Lots of fun new off-site raiding options. I wonder if some people will manage to make 100% tribute/raiding-dependent fortresses?
Until you can tell dwarves to bring back specific items (like booze, wood, metal bars, etc) it's not much different from running a regular fortress as you still need dwarves doing all the basics (like making beds, brewing booze, chopping trees, cooking the livestock you steal, tanning the hides, etc. But yeah, you can ignore the wagon now if you want (maybe tribute requires a depot though, so you  might not be able to turn off wagons altogether).

Giving a mostly raider based start a try right now. It's kind of Fun, as you no longer have siege triggers to keep you safe. Might all be dead by the time we've stolen enough weapons to equip a squad properly. :)

Next time will set pop cap to 15 or so for that real 'bandit camp' feeling.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2018, 09:16:24 pm »

Post to watch!

Even though I would love to enjoy this new update with raiding, pillaging and stuff, I can't bear those random crashes. Will report a few ones and wait for it to stabilize.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2018, 02:54:17 am »

Have you considered asking the community to perform some bulk tasks where someone would take on the task to organize the collection of the results to return it to you in a "finished" shape?
One potential case would be a future revamp of plants which would call for the collection of data for new tags such as e.g. limits to salinity tolerance, or pH value ranges (and probably a whole bunch more) for the existing range of plant raws.
Another potential case would be bulk production of raws for magic info where you might give some samples, description of the tags, and the names of the groups of raws to be produced (e.g. 10-20 effects for each of these spheres).
I can certainly understand if you feel that the burden of managing it is higher than the effort of doing the work yourself, however.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2018, 08:40:45 am »

Have you considered asking the community to perform some bulk tasks where someone would take on the task to organize the collection of the results to return it to you in a "finished" shape?
One potential case would be a future revamp of plants which would call for the collection of data for new tags such as e.g. limits to salinity tolerance, or pH value ranges (and probably a whole bunch more) for the existing range of plant raws.
Another potential case would be bulk production of raws for magic info where you might give some samples, description of the tags, and the names of the groups of raws to be produced (e.g. 10-20 effects for each of these spheres).
I can certainly understand if you feel that the burden of managing it is higher than the effort of doing the work yourself, however.

Fan data has been implemented before (Add real solid density values for stones & wood (added to 0.34.08!), and there a FotF reply from long back touching on the topic:

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Uristocrat
What sort of research would help you the most?  And how should the research be presented: tables summarizing the findings, links to sources where you can get the data yourself, or both?  Are modified and annotated RAWs ever useful, or is it better to focus on creating forum posts with the necessary information?

Filling in the missing/incorrect/vague numbers I've got is the most useful thing that can be done now, since I'm most likely to be able to use it.  Tables are fine, as long as there is a source for it, and having it already converted into the game's units is best. Raws are fine too, as long as they are sourced, and not so different from the originals that a diff utility is useless.

He's also mentioned he doesn't want to be a project manager though (Reddit), so I assume he might not want to take on the inevitable extra management that would come with asking for something rather than getting it offered up more or less finished (not intending to speak for him of course and further answers would always be nice ^^).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2018, 11:21:28 am »

Fan data has been implemented before (Add real solid density values for stones & wood (added to 0.34.08!), and there a FotF reply from long back touching on the topic:

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Uristocrat
What sort of research would help you the most?  And how should the research be presented: tables summarizing the findings, links to sources where you can get the data yourself, or both?  Are modified and annotated RAWs ever useful, or is it better to focus on creating forum posts with the necessary information?

Filling in the missing/incorrect/vague numbers I've got is the most useful thing that can be done now, since I'm most likely to be able to use it.  Tables are fine, as long as there is a source for it, and having it already converted into the game's units is best. Raws are fine too, as long as they are sourced, and not so different from the originals that a diff utility is useless.

He's also mentioned he doesn't want to be a project manager though (Reddit), so I assume he might not want to take on the inevitable extra management that would come with asking for something rather than getting it offered up more or less finished (not intending to speak for him of course and further answers would always be nice ^^).

I know Toady isn't a fan of being a manager, and I can understand that completely, as I have the same distaste for performing those tasks (which also implies I'm not offering to lead such efforts, though I can certainly participate in the work itself). That's also why I tried to describe it as asking for something that's more or less finished (as per the phase of the task) where someone from the community would perform the management. It seems Myth & Magic may have some rather substantial raw additions/modifications, and bulk production might be a good candidate for "outsourcing". As with all outsourcing, the task has to be easy enough to describe in sufficient detail that people without intimate knowledge of the surrounding logic can do the work without much additional guidance.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2018, 11:47:11 am »

I know Toady isn't a fan of being a manager, and I can understand that completely, as I have the same distaste for performing those tasks (which also implies I'm not offering to lead such efforts, though I can certainly participate in the work itself). That's also why I tried to describe it as asking for something that's more or less finished (as per the phase of the task) where someone from the community would perform the management. It seems Myth & Magic may have some rather substantial raw additions/modifications, and bulk production might be a good candidate for "outsourcing". As with all outsourcing, the task has to be easy enough to describe in sufficient detail that people without intimate knowledge of the surrounding logic can do the work without much additional guidance.

True, that work (myth & magic) would on the other hand probably be a lot more fun than researching and just typing in loads of real world data, while also requiring some creativity and decision-making that might not be good to leave to the community (unless you're thinking of something different and more specific then what I assumed).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2018, 02:55:22 pm »

True, that work (myth & magic) would on the other hand probably be a lot more fun than researching and just typing in loads of real world data, while also requiring some creativity and decision-making that might not be good to leave to the community (unless you're thinking of something different and more specific then what I assumed).
Even when (some) creativity is involved, the first 20 are a great fun to make, the next 30 are fun, the next 150 OK, and the last 800 a chore. A "please fill in the blanks" approach might be useful for large volumes. I may be overestimating the community, but I think we ought to be capable of accepting someone who's up to the task as coordinator.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2018, 03:16:59 pm »

I hate to do it, but there are a few questions here:

With the work on sieges and raids, would you consider revising the old wield check bug, so that at least some of my dwarves can have mauls?

Also are mounts something we can look forward to before the big wait?

Why does the off-map fighting code use the highest tactician skill and not the one from the commanding officer?

Is the current tribute system the final solution, or are we going to get a more hostility friendly "pay or die" system?

I think thats it for now. Also, I really hope you go through with adding a messenger system, so that there is delay between order and execution. Actually, that triggers another question:

Will Messengers be a profession for themself, or are they just gonna be millitary people?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 389