Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 388

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2838165 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4740 on: August 06, 2022, 08:49:00 am »

You will be surprised how quickly sea erosion can occur. In the UK some places lose about 4m of coastline to erosion a year, plus if you are playing fort mode, roughly its gonna be a few years. Not sure what the average fort length is but would be something that if in the real world would be noticable. Could make surface coastal forts have the unique challenge of building supports.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

memmet

• Bay Watcher
  • Blasphemy!
    • View Profile
    • Free Comics
« Reply #4741 on: August 07, 2022, 01:50:28 pm »

1. Will the Myth and Magic arc significantly affect the dynamics of personality?
What does "Will the Myth & Magic arc significantly affect the dynamics of personality?" mean? Are you asking whether there will be some rewrite of the personality system?
Will there be a personality rewrite? This seems connected to both play modes, the villains and army arcs, as well as my question below. Curious about bay12's thinking on personality.

2. Will creatures' bodies or behaviors ever change over generations? I read that creatures do inherit both appearance and attributes. Does this produce an evolutionary effect currently? Do cultural customs change over time, or will they?

3. A gameplay question: During a conversation in adventure mode, some people have a "Sluggish" attitude toward me. What does that mean?

Thank you for all that you do!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 05:39:48 pm by memmet »
May your beard be long and your mug full.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: August 09, 2022, 02:03:52 am »

I’ve been reading the wiki, and I’ve got a few questions. 

It says that all towns start out as hamlets and then turn into towns under the right circumstances.  What are those circumstances?

Also, it says that, for towns, of of +, *, #, or ☼ is used according to the population.  For hamlets, are the distinctions between Æ and æ, and = and ≡ also based on population?  If so, what are the required populations?

Also, is the list of population ranges for each level of town in the wiki correct?  If so, what determines whether a town with (for example) a population of exactly 1000 shows up as a + or a *?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: August 10, 2022, 04:48:32 am »

I’ve been reading the wiki, and I’ve got a few questions. 

It says that all towns start out as hamlets and then turn into towns under the right circumstances.  What are those circumstances?

Also, it says that, for towns, of of +, *, #, or ☼ is used according to the population.  For hamlets, are the distinctions between Æ and æ, and = and ≡ also based on population?  If so, what are the required populations?

Also, is the list of population ranges for each level of town in the wiki correct?  If so, what determines whether a town with (for example) a population of exactly 1000 shows up as a + or a *?

I wrote "under the right circumstances" at the time b/c I didn't know the cause(s) for a hamlet to gain a market + ascend to (or replaced by) a town. I wish I didn't word it like that b/c it implies there's more than one factor involved. I just didn't wanted to put down "for unverified reasons," I think. Should have just excluded the "why" part. Anyhow, since then I've observed that there can't be another market site within X world tiles. That's the only visual criteria I've seen, idk if there's other factors. I'll revise it to a more simple general statement for now. Link to original for reference.

For context: in worldgen if you pause at the right time and know where to look, you'll see a hamlet generate in a world tile where a future town will appear in a year or two. When pausing before history starts but after starting sites are placed, you'll notice that the starting human sites are hamlets. If you look at their history in legends, some towns had a mead hall that got replaced w/ a keep. Mead halls/keeps aren't constructed the instant the site gets created + hamlet-to-town conversion happens fast, so town-to-be hamlets usually skip out on the mead hall (i.e. they don't have the chance to build one before they become a town). Historical event type is 'replaced structure'.

No, hamlet symbols aren't based on pop. It's on the hamlet and map legend pages, but æ/Æ are hamlets on hills and =/≡ are on grassland (flat) regions. There doesn't appear to be any distinction between æ & Æ or = & ≡; probably just alternate tiles like biomes, grasses, etc.

I ran some tests and the pop. ranges are mostly correct, but the overlaps were most likely a minor slip by the editor. It should be ≤999, 1000-1999, 2000-9999, ≥10000. It's fixed now.

There's a talk page on each wiki page where you can discuss about its contents, including any written info you want to confirm w/ other players. Though admittedly there's more active traffic here than there. There's also the subforum for gameplay questions.

I noticed a lot of gameplay-related questions being asked in the past several months/years. Token behaviors, formulas, exact values, etc. I thought Future of the Fortress was supposed to be about development and the roadmap. Not complaining though. Toady doesn't seem to mind.

Toboter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: August 10, 2022, 08:47:03 am »

Just out of curiosity, why are the majority of workshops non-functional or unavailable in Adventure Mode?
I recently tried to roleplay a jeweler, but was simply unable to, because of the jeweler's workshop being completely inaccessible.
Are there any plans to make the crafting recipes from fort mode accessible in adventure mode?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: August 10, 2022, 07:46:59 pm »

I think that stuff was just never really gotten around to. Like, carpentry was partially done just so you could make furniture for your adventurer camps, but Toady hasnt gone back to add more functionality to that, at least not yet.

The good news is, even if you can't use more workshops you can add reactions that don't require a workshop pretty easily.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: August 12, 2022, 12:29:47 am »

I was curious:

1: Once a creature is parsed from the raws, How do you represent it in memory(I'm ok with technical details)?

https://github.com/DFHack/df-structures/blob/master/df.creature-raws.xml

If you mean the unit, rather than its creature raws,

https://github.com/DFHack/df-structures/blob/master/df.units.xml

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: August 12, 2022, 08:13:24 am »

I was curious:

1: Once a creature is parsed from the raws, How do you represent it in memory(I'm ok with technical details)?

https://github.com/DFHack/df-structures/blob/master/df.creature-raws.xml

If you mean the unit, rather than its creature raws,

https://github.com/DFHack/df-structures/blob/master/df.units.xml

Very interesting
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 12:46:21 pm by ☼Obsidian Short Sword☼ »
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: August 12, 2022, 10:12:27 am »

1. Will the advanced worldgen menu be in the initial Premium release?

2. What sort of timeline are you thinking of for the releasing the raws/info for modders to prepare for updating?

3. Last we've heard about the roadmap plans were you decided on doing Adventure mode later, and are unsure about Arena mode; what's your position on the Steam Workshop and Achievements, which were also in an uncertain place?

4. Will the advanced world gen menu be in the initial Steam release?

5. Will the layer-fog color be changed? Blue makes it look like everything is flooded, at least underground.

6. Might something like the dragon randomizer (ie constrained randomness definable in raws, so that random things can be made to match "archetypes") ever exist for plants, materials, entities, interactions/magic, or other things that end up controllable?

7. What's the lore for why necromancers need to breathe, despite conquering all the other bodily needs (eating/drinking/sleeping)?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 02:03:06 am by Mr Crabman »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: August 12, 2022, 01:13:56 pm »

I think I remember reading the layer fog color can already be changed, either in a settings menu or ini file
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: August 13, 2022, 01:22:51 am »

Will the Myth and Magic arc significantly affect the dynamics of personality?
Will creatures' bodies or behaviors ever change over generations?
/color]
Thank you for the game!
Welcome to the forum.

ToadyOne will tend to only answer questions that are directly related what they're currently doing.
When asking questions regarding the future development, he responds with 'Yea that sounds good.' or 'We'll see.'
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4751 on: August 13, 2022, 05:15:24 am »

Will the Myth and Magic arc significantly affect the dynamics of personality?
Will creatures' bodies or behaviors ever change over generations?
/color]
Thank you for the game!
Welcome to the forum.

ToadyOne will tend to only answer questions that are directly related what they're currently doing.
When asking questions regarding the future development, he responds with 'Yea that sounds good.' or 'We'll see.'

I tend to disagree. They seem to have a pretty good idea on what they want to do, at least in the coming few arcs like villains, army additions, and myth & magic. What they don't know, and what leads to "we'll see" type of answers, is which of these planned features will make it in, as once they reach an arc they have to prioritize. See e.g. the answers they've given on the map rewrite.

However, I would still clarify those questions if I were you, memmet. What does "Will the Myth & Magic arc significantly affect the dynamics of personality?" mean? Are you asking whether there will be some rewrite of the personality system? Or whether magic will be able to affect creature's mind, like charming spells and rings that make you evil? The former I do not know, the latter I know they have planned. The same goes for question 2, is it about evolution/mutations/selective breeding, or cursed bloodlines?
Of course, worst thing that could happen if you don't clarify is Toady answering "I don't understand, I'm afraid." and you'll have to ask it again. He also could totally get it.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: August 16, 2022, 05:52:47 am »

How does the look menu work now? Is there a quick way of identifying different types of stone to designate for mining, without having to use the look menu? I know what everything is at a glance with the ASCIIs, I'm worried I'll get confused by the artwork when looking for ores, mineral types, and so on.

How back compatible is the new version going to be with the old keyboard shortcuts? My hands remember which buttons to press even if my brain doesn't. Watching Zach's video fills me with confused terror.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: August 16, 2022, 06:05:27 pm »

How does the look menu work now? Is there a quick way of identifying different types of stone to designate for mining, without having to use the look menu? I know what everything is at a glance with the ASCIIs, I'm worried I'll get confused by the artwork when looking for ores, mineral types, and so on.

How back compatible is the new version going to be with the old keyboard shortcuts? My hands remember which buttons to press even if my brain doesn't. Watching Zach's video fills me with confused terror.

1) they're already differenciable by color and tile in the screenshots, it'll probably just take some getting used to.
I make Spellcrafts!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: August 17, 2022, 02:00:07 am »

Expect a lot of key shortcuts to change. Parts of the task is to make shortcuts make more logical sense (especially to a new audience), and that includes making them consistent, so the same key is used for the same function in all screens (in particular menu traversal). Also, some things have changed, so new shortcuts are needed, and some shortcuts would fit a new element better than what it's currently bound to.

It will be unpleasant to relearn, but it should be possible and probably better in the end (although I'm sure there will be cases of using the "old" key for years to come).
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 388