Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 392

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2931668 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5145 on: January 05, 2023, 08:32:01 pm »

Can you say what will be required to get Macros fully functional in Premium?  Currently you can write digging only, but not building stuff due to a lack of text input on a lot of items.

There are a lot of issues & QoL considerations that came with Premium (as to be expected).  How are you prioritizing what to work on and otherwise staying organized?

What was your design reason for splitting & recombining the old Masonry-Smoothing-Architect skills? (I'm still confused about Stone Cutting vs. Stone Carving).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 12:21:21 pm by Immortal-D »

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5146 on: January 06, 2023, 10:23:50 am »

1. How functional prostetics will be in non magical world? Just a pegleg and a hook or dwarven SCIENCE is able to provide somebetter solutions. If so then how anout non magical power armor?
2. I assume absence of health overview of fortress as it was before is just a matter of time or it was removed intentionally?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5147 on: January 06, 2023, 12:01:36 pm »

Looks like Steam/Itch has been a massive success (Grats!).  After you have established a health care fund, have you considered using some of the extra money to hire professional programming help?  Either to ease your workload or help clean & optimize the code.

Knowing Toady's intent somewhat, from a recent AMA on Reddit, the proverbial pendulum appears to be swinging in the direction of the latter option.
That got an answer pretty quick didnt it.
Congrats Putnam
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #5148 on: January 06, 2023, 01:40:12 pm »

Thanks for the answers, and congrats to putnam for the job!

2. I assume absence of health overview of fortress as it was before is just a matter of time or it was removed intentionally?

There was a PC gamer article/interview which explained the prime reason the health screen is missing is because they want to get easy to understand icons for each item, but there's 100+ icons it'll need, and they prolly also should be easy to understand. Given there's only one place where these icons are seen, it makes sense that other stuff got prioritized :)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

noirscape

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonic disaster
    • View Profile
    • noirscape.dev
« Reply #5149 on: January 06, 2023, 05:28:52 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
This is the idea, yeah.  The old code is there but it's not fit to sell - have to deal with the symlink situation or whatever issues various maintainers and etc. were troubled by, and I'm not qualified for that.  Have to discuss it with Putnam, see where it goes, etc.  But our plan is to get to native support for some flavor at least, however that usually ends up working for closed source steam stuff etc.

Thanks for the answer. And yeah fair enough that makes sense, dynamic linking is a pain in the neck with Linux. To my understanding (mostly just as a user of Steam on Linux), the way it usually works is that Steam distributes its own version of all the libraries you need to run a system and they make you build a version against that (they call it the Steam Runtime, basically think of it as a distro specifically for steam). Hoping you can work something out with Putnam on that.
don't take the above seriously. This is actually a pretty helpful group of people. Welcome to the insane asylum.

*Urist McEnlightened has been found dead, Enlightenment aneurysm.*

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5150 on: January 06, 2023, 09:08:22 pm »

To my understanding (mostly just as a user of Steam on Linux), the way it usually works is that Steam distributes its own version of all the libraries you need to run a system and they make you build a version against that (they call it the Steam Runtime, basically think of it as a distro specifically for steam).
For the Steam build, yeah, that's my understanding too. Some extra effort is involved for non-Steam builds, though.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Draconus_93_

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5151 on: January 07, 2023, 06:31:11 am »

it would be possible to enable an earlier adventure mode release, maybe through a beta branch, even whith the old keyboard based controls/menus?

as a new player what really got me into the game was the ability to play long term runs with multiple forts, and exploring the world i shaped with adventurers. I usually don't play colony sims at all, but the the vast scope of the possible interactions and the proc gen nature of the game hooked me in this time. The lack of adventure mode is however extermly painful for me, it feels like beeing keeped out the most interesting part of the game.

Since the steam release i tried several times to get into the v47 but it's like a totally different game, mostly because of the graphics. So here i am, hoping in a early beta branch, because the developement of the new controls seems to be quite a long term task.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 06:32:52 am by Draconus_93_ »

SaladMore

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: January 07, 2023, 10:19:21 am »

I just found v50's world save data cannot be played in v47, nor v47's map save data to v50. Is there really no hope? At least I could just play v50's world save data in v47.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 10:21:20 am by SaladMore »

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: January 07, 2023, 11:28:40 am »

Quote from: Shonai_Dweller
Setting tombs in the new interface seems actually harder than previously (making a 1x1 zone on every coffin) unless you enclose every coffin in its own room and use the multi command.

Is that something that needs more development (to have multi recognise lots of unenclosed coffins as separate burial places) or is your vision of dwarven burial to have each coffin in its own room (and therefore system is working as intended).

(Also because the tombs are zones, when you designate a memorial hall over the graveyard it says it's "overlapping" which I think reduces the value, right? Guess that's not a big deal but I do like to avoid overlapping zones...)

Miuramir: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8437555#msg8437555

We wanted to add some kind of catacomb zone to cover this, and didn't get there.  It came up quite a bit in pre-launch testing.  I don't think I can easily make multi recognize semi-enclosed spaces well, although I'm assuming there's various existing work on that.

As a side note, overlapping is a huge penalty now, so we're going to want to fix the spots where it feels improper.

Thanks for the answers Toady.
If overlapping has a penalty, why is multi selecting the walls by default? Most players I believe won't have double-wide walls, especially for bedrooms.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: January 07, 2023, 11:47:27 am »

Setting tombs in the new interface seems actually harder than previously (making a 1x1 zone on every coffin) unless you enclose every coffin in its own room and use the multi command.

Is that something that needs more development (to have multi recognise lots of unenclosed coffins as separate burial places) or is your vision of dwarven burial to have each coffin in its own room (and therefore system is working as intended).

(Also because the tombs are zones, when you designate a memorial hall over the graveyard it says it's "overlapping" which I think reduces the value, right? Guess that's not a big deal but I do like to avoid overlapping zones...)

Miuramir: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8437555#msg8437555

We wanted to add some kind of catacomb zone to cover this, and didn't get there.  It came up quite a bit in pre-launch testing.  I don't think I can easily make multi recognize semi-enclosed spaces well, although I'm assuming there's various existing work on that.

As a side note, overlapping is a huge penalty now, so we're going to want to fix the spots where it feels improper.

If overlapping has a penalty, why is multi selecting the walls by default? Most players I believe won't have double-wide walls, especially for bedrooms.

Overlapping doesn't count walls

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: January 07, 2023, 06:14:40 pm »

As Toady mentioned, not everything is meant to produce an Overlapping penalty. Throwing a pasture into a dining room also doesn't for example. It's very obvious when it happens, it shows up in bright red on the interface.
The example in my question was of a memorial hall over a graveyard causing a penalty, which I assume shouldn't happen (unless we're meant to make coffins and slabs as a pair for each dead dorf and have people visit the slabs rather than the coffins).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: January 08, 2023, 03:57:57 am »

I just found v50's world save data cannot be played in v47, nor v47's map save data to v50. Is there really no hope? At least I could just play v50's world save data in v47.
Few game releases of any games are forward compatible, i.e. able to load newer saves into older versions. It can happen if only some minor bugs have been fixed, but that's definitely not the case here. Thus, there is no realistic hope to load a v0.50.x save into v 0.47.x.
The step from 0.47.x to 0.50.x is one of the few steps in DF's history where save compatibility is broken, as the differences are just too large.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: January 08, 2023, 04:21:49 am »

Is a native Apple Silicon (M1) Mac build feasible? (Might be more of a Putnam question.)

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: January 08, 2023, 07:34:37 am »

Quote from: Octopusfluff
now that the game is out, i can see that there's some stuff in the vanilla definitions that would allow a degree of changes, but it requires me to change my question:
will we gain the ability to add mods to existing save files?

this has become a serious obstacle with mods that aim to improve accessibility by adjusting icons in the ui, or for my use case, replacing audio elements that are highly disruptive (like that horrific REEEE REEE REEEE bird noise in grasslands which is absolutely deleterious to some of us)

making a new save file every time we discover an experiential issue that someone solved with a mod is problematic.

Graphics stuff can already be adjusted w/out worries about saves I think?  I was doing it during development all the time anyway.

Sound just isn't that moddable yet, the format there isn't really complete.  It doesn't know how to use non-vanilla files, doesn't have a place to put them.  I wanted to get something in there so that saves could be a little bit compatible with more support later, by having any objects at all to work with.

understandable about the sound part. but my problem is that we have no mechanism for changing what mods are assigned to a world at present, so adding/removing graphics mods is currently impossible.

Drakkar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5159 on: January 08, 2023, 02:19:42 pm »

Right now zooming in/out or scaling the UI in the premium version results in textures being blurry and it's especially visible on higher resolutions.
Do you plan to add nearest neighbor scaling in the future?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 05:13:13 am by Drakkar »
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 392