Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 392

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2929185 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5415 on: May 06, 2023, 10:53:49 am »

Is it possible for one dwarf to affect the mood of another?

1) for example, perhaps a general who gets excited while in combat can cause others to become excited and spur them forward, while the same would be true if they are terrified and cause others to flea with them.

2) have you considered adding a counselling room?

where dwarfs who are upset will seek out help?
with the beauty of the room and skill of the counsellor causing a level of mood buff?

Questions mean for Toady in this thread should be in lime green, but these read more like suggestions to me, apt for that board instead.
Dwarves currently seek counseling/consoling from nobles and priests, and the quality of it depends on the dwarf giving it.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: May 06, 2023, 05:21:20 pm »

Quote from: Vattic
The current non-layered graphics definitions seem to be a very cut down version of what we had with graphics sets. The main addition being caste specific graphics.

Do you plan to bring back a similar level of flexibility that has been lost in the move to premium. Specifically:
a) the ability to set graphics for individual professions. Layered conditions only include broad categories that don't even contain a bunch of professions such as doctors, bards, mercenaries, nobles.
b) the ability to set graphics for the different soldier types: recruit, swordsman, elite swordsman etc. This can be somewhat achieved using layers and item wielded conditions, but not for wrestlers or the elites.
c) same, but for some of the stranger ones: ghosts, prisoners, slaves, adventurers etc.

Does this not work?  I didn't change the syntax.  Where it says "ANIMATED" or "DEFAULT" in the creature graphics txt files, you should be able to put GHOST or etc. as well.  It's still checking in the code for professions and types as well.

Turns out you mostly can. Far more work than I thought, but there are more than a few that no longer work.
Are we likely to get these back?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: May 06, 2023, 07:50:45 pm »

Those should work, and in fact I've seen the code that allows for positions to be used. If that's not working, that's odd.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUNS:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: May 06, 2023, 08:35:34 pm »

3.Will we ever have procedural government systems?

Humans, goblins, and a couple of minor entities already procedurally generate their government, they're tagged to do so. Human and goblin leaders can add various positions to their government - there's a couple of varying names and reasons why they add these positions. Right now every one of those civs generates leaders in the same manner: free humans get a nonspecific law-giver while [POWER] and [UNIQUE_DEMON] creatures become master, with lords that rule over sites and a couple of positions that are mostly relevant to villain plots atm.
There's also a (limited) framework for governments to evolve over time - law-making histfigs in these entities create positions during the course of history, and being taken over by a living god permanently changes the primary lawmaker to be the master.
As for development plans after myth & magic, entities and starting scenarios are on the docket and I'd predict that having more diverse and interactive governments would be part of such an arc.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
I make mods! http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=181821.0

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: May 08, 2023, 04:11:00 pm »

Yes, it's true.  The dwarves will build Mayan televisions.

The release time for these will be around Myth & Magic, yeah?
Also, would you mind clarifying by what you mean exactly, when you say "Mayan televisions"?

----------
Whats going on under the hood exactly, when a fell mood dwarf grabs an intelligent HFS creature? Why does it look like probabilities are weighted differently depending on the reagent material used during a fell mood?  From a lot of testing, it appears that in fell mood instances involving an intelligent HFS gemstone person being "used" as its reagent, specifically, the resulting artifact will be either a left or a right gauntlet 50% of the time, which is odd.

Note: This section may contain spoilers for new players:
Question background - I've recently moved on from testing macabre moods, and have become quite taken with DF's fell moods as of late.
And I've been trying to determine the limitations on what these moods can produce when using intelligent HFS creatures as their reagents.

In terms of items, I've seen divine fire chains, tall helms made from salt, grime leggings, gemstone gauntlets, ash masks (made from corpses), X whatever cages, and even trap components!

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... In vanilla, chains made of fire, produced at a butcher shop."

Besides offering us some exotic materials, a number of these materials will also feature fixed temperatures, and thus, in addition to fire snakes, provide us with some excellent crafting stuff for forging "magical artifacts."  (To give us that tiny glimpse into what Myth & Magic might have in store for us, you know?)  Anyway, the more fell moods I see, the more incorrect the wiki appears to be concerning them. And so the wiki probably needs updating.

Some observations from testing:
- Dwarves appear unable or unwilling to make artifacts from steam, water, or ice creatures during a fell mood, they leave the corpse and move on; but they will use snow creatures, which produce ice artifacts. Interestingly, ice artifacts will melt and become destroyed at temperatures above freezing, for instance the ambient underground temp (tested in 47.05).
- Fell mood dwarves evidently make for some excellent assassins, for their ability to one shot an intelligent foe, or several, depending on circumstance. A fell mood child has the ability to insta-kill any intelligent demon or were-beast, if it cohabits a tile. Had one fell mood dwarf, who had just claimed a butcher shop outside near the refuse pile, when we got a surprise were-ape (Ñ) attack. The result was the fort's acquisition of a new and very interesting were-ape (Ñ) bin and zero fort casualties.

edit: question wording.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 02:28:00 pm by dikbutdagrate »

Gremie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5420 on: May 09, 2023, 07:03:17 am »

Questions mean for Toady in this thread should be in lime green, but these read more like suggestions to me, apt for that board instead.
Dwarves currently seek counseling/consoling from nobles and priests, and the quality of it depends on the dwarf giving it.

:D thank you for letting me know :D

I've edited my question in the hope it will give more context as to what I'm asking :)

Listyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: May 11, 2023, 07:36:25 am »

Thank you for reimplementing legends export. However, in the classic version alongside legends xml export there were some other options allowing to export for example, historical figures or terrain information. I heard that terrain data export would be difficult to reimplement for the time being because it's tied to adventurer mode in some way, but are there any plans to reimplement those other remaining export options that were there in the classic, in the Steam version in the meantime? Like the option to export historical figures etc. I apologize if I come off as overly persistent with asking about those exports but there seem to be quite a few of people who are looking forward to seeing them back in the Steam version of the game.

Thank you for all the hard work.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 07:42:02 am by Listyg »

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: May 17, 2023, 03:40:19 pm »

How do I access my preorder exclusive Giant-Robot cosmetic wagon skin? I saw some announcement about that.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 11:46:34 am by dikbutdagrate »

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: May 18, 2023, 12:57:36 am »

How do I access my preorder exclusive Giant-Robot cosmetic wagon skin? I saw some announcement about that.

Log in to your FoxFriendsRewards!® program account and check your alerts, but Kitfox handled all that, not Bay 12 Games. You'll need to talk to them about any preorder bonus problems.

This isn't even the dumbest question I've answered today. Fun is fun, but let's not make FotF miserable for Tarn. It's a precious resource for us all.
Team Bug Fix!

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: May 19, 2023, 11:28:40 am »

Log in to your FoxFriendsRewards!® program account and check your alerts, but Kitfox handled all that, not Bay 12 Games. You'll need to talk to them about any preorder bonus problems.

This isn't even the dumbest question I've answered today. Fun is fun, but let's not make FotF miserable for Tarn. It's a precious resource for us all.

Hehe, alright Clino, thank you.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 09:50:40 pm by dikbutdagrate »

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5425 on: May 24, 2023, 07:34:13 pm »

> 50.08 notes: Allowed most water-based jobs that use buckets to use partially-filled water buckets in addition to empty buckets.

Which jobs can't use partially filled buckets?

I could not tell you, for they will only fail to if I didn't find them
I interpret that to mean that detection of any bucket using water based jobs that fail to use buckets partially filled with water are to be considered as bug report worthy.

Thank you, I could not make sense of what I was reading.

=====================================

Are the black/shadowy sprites for procedurally generated creatures considered final art or stand-ins for the time being?

ryno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: May 25, 2023, 11:01:15 am »

Early footage of premium featured more graphicalized tree stumps that did not make it into release; my theory is that by extending beyond it's own tilespace it created clipping issues when trees were directly adjacent other objects. They looked quite epic however! Might we seem them return, and what other kinds of fun graphics ended up on the cutting room floor due to time constraints? I enjoyed watching the evolution of many assets as the game neared release- and I'm also curious if the artists created referenced 3D models for the later iterations of wagons, siege engines, or windmills. They look "modeled", and they're some of the finest assets in the game now.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: May 25, 2023, 11:47:41 am »

I bet part of the issue is the fact some trees like highwoods can become up to 3x3 tiles wide. Have to have tesalating root tiles around that and 2x2s too.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5428 on: May 26, 2023, 08:20:18 am »

What news of reinstating keyboard controls? (I'm really struggling with the inefficiency of the mouse for large designations, plus the loss of macros)

TheGoomba98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5429 on: May 26, 2023, 06:57:27 pm »

Why can't I find the filter options for assigning units to zones (such as showing only grazing animals for pastures)?
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 392