Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 392

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2936493 times)

edwahjr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5790 on: February 03, 2024, 08:49:25 pm »

Welcome to the forums edwahjr!
In this thread we use lime green text to ask our questions to Toady. Like this:
Code: [Select]
[color=limegreen]Will there be non-player demigod characters? Like, will they show up in legends as just the children of whatever god and influence the world?[/color]=>
Will there be non-player demigod characters? Like, will they show up in legends as just the children of whatever god and influence the world?

Thank you for the heads up! i'll keep that in mind for the future!

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5791 on: February 04, 2024, 01:53:30 am »

Ah shoot, just missed him.

Hey Toady! I assume by the time you read this the bug tracker will be fixed; but in future, who should we contact/how should we let somebody know when the bug tracker is broken?

It's out of temp space & preventing any new bug reports

lethosor and myk002 have been on making reports about the tracker issues, but messaging any mod on the Kitfox Discord would probably work out pretty well if there's a sudden change in bug tracker status. There's a Kitfox employee assigned to managing it.
Team Bug Fix!

Inevtable Demon mom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5792 on: February 04, 2024, 02:23:36 pm »

Hello! I watched Blind's recent video on "What to expect from Adventure mode and Magic healing!" and got very interested in the latter part. While at first I was very unsure of implementing a sort of magical healing that could revert otherwise permanent injuries, I started to think about what would be an interesting implementation that could fall in line with the feel of DF, so this got me thinking:

- Is this new way of healing conceptualized like a mage casting a healing spell on an injuried person or more like an alchemist or a traditional healer rubbing a combination of weeds and other materials on the injury?
- Will the new healing method serve as a single multipurpose heal-it-all solution or will there be specific (hopefully randomized for each world!) requirements and quirks for each sort of injury? For example, if you're trying to heal torn ligaments the material/other requirements are somewhat different from if you're trying to heal nerve damage. In this case, will there be different recipes for these different kinds of healing? Will scholars in fortress mode be able to discover these recipes by doing research and discussing with other smartpants who come visit your fort?
- How viable are you planning to make having an adventurer be dedicated to medicine? Would be very cool to have yet another different niche to specialize in the coming adventure mode.

In any case, thank you so much for being amazing!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 02:26:27 pm by Inevtable Demon mom »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5793 on: February 04, 2024, 07:14:15 pm »

There was definitely talk in the past of having all the myth & magic stuff be procedurally generated, so I bet it will be on a per-world basis, and might be only available to priests of certain deities/religions or other such inconsistencies. There are multiple healing interaction/syndrome effects already, so its possible there will also be multiple interactions that each have some or all effects. Requiring reagents for interactions doesn't exist yet, that was a goal for myth & magic too. A reaction in a workshop wouldn't work for a hospital zone, and dwarves can't perform adventure reactions that dont require a workshop, so it would have to be an interaction of some sort, unless Toady wants to make more major changes around how and when dwarves can do stuff.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Salvadaddy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5794 on: February 07, 2024, 10:03:45 pm »

Hello, Toady, have you come up with any new monsters or creatures randomly as you've been working on the adventure mode stuff? Also thanks for making such an amazing game

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5795 on: February 07, 2024, 10:37:29 pm »

By "randomly" do you mean more procedurally-generated creatures? Because randomizing more creatures has definitely been one of the things Toady's talked a lot about in regards to Myth & Magic, but I personally doubt such elements will make it into the first adventure mode release on top of everything else that needs to be done (not for me to say, of course).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 10:39:02 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5796 on: February 12, 2024, 08:50:50 am »

When the biomes become sphere-aligned primarily, instead of being Good/Evil/Wild, what are your thoughts on the "surroundings" descriptor? I.e the one that says "calm", "haunted", "joyous wilds", etc. on the embark screen. Some sphere-alignments, like a land of thunder, don't map clearly to any of the existing descriptions. But at the same time, having descriptions for all spheres, or combinations of spheres, seems like it could be a lot. Both to develop, but also for the player embarking. E.g. if a biome is "rumbling" or "chaotic", how difficult is that?

TheMarmot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5797 on: February 15, 2024, 12:25:08 am »

Will alive demigods influence the name of the age? vampires and necromancers already influence it, along with werebeasts and other creatures.

Afroman726

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: February 15, 2024, 08:01:35 pm »

Hello!  Im very excited for the map rewrite and was wondering what sort of plans there are to expand the surface level in fort mode.  I understand when you embark you can change the grid size but currently you have to load all Z levels below the surface.  Has there been any thoughts to having 2 embark selections?  One for surface and one for the underground?  I can envision having a 25x25 surface fortress sprawling with hamlets, houses and temples while having a 3x3 underground area to mine out and explore.  Would love to hear your thoughts!  Thank you!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 09:01:41 pm by Afroman726 »

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5799 on: February 16, 2024, 12:23:21 am »

Hello!  Im very excited for the map rewrite and was wondering what sort of plans there are to expand the surface level in fort mode.  I understand when you embark you can change the grid size but currently you have to load all Z levels below the surface.  Has there been any thoughts to having 2 embark selections?  One for surface and one for the underground?  I can envision having a 25x25 surface fortress sprawling with hamlets, houses and temples while having a 3x3 underground area to mine out and explore.  Would love to hear your thoughts!  Thank you!!

Questions should be in limegreen for Toady to pick them up.

The "surface forts" thing comes up frequently when people ask about playing as humans. The most recent direct reply I can find regarding this is here:
Quote from: elanto
I know this may sound a little strange, but I would like to know if your idea of an adventure mode will also be focused on people who prefer a more peaceful game mode? By this I mean if, for example, we can focus our objectives on making a farm and living peacefully on it, until the goblins allow us, spending our days fishing to sell the fish in the nearest city. Or, for example, be a merchant seeking his fortune to settle in a big city and have a life of luxury there? Or maybe set up a tavern in a city and work so that others can get drunk?... Will there be a possibility in the future of something like that? Would the ultimate idea of the game be to create a truly living world where we can truly do anything we want?

And another question that may have already been asked before, will it ever be possible in the vanilla game to play with other races in fortress mode?

Eric Blank: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8512440#msg8512440
mikekchar: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8512478#msg8512478

Yeah, it's really just a matter of work.  Every idea you suggested requires not peace but a robust economy, for instance, which is something we've been vaguely aiming at but have failed to attain a few times.  Other ideas of peaceful play styles require a more robust social sim.  These are things we're interested in.  Combat has always been easier, but it's not the only stuff we work on.

I think the reply addressed the other races question - gonna give it a shot with myth magic stuff.  The game is geared a bit toward dwarfiness perhaps, and dwarfiness has given us certain leeway narratively, but we're not too too far from having aboveground/etc./etc. stuff working out.  You do have a lot less play space that way.  Spreading out to a much wider shallower play area, as you'd have in the NPC human villages, is a technical problem.

So this kind of thing - wider, shallower surface forts - is on the radar. The "technical challenge" is probably not just the fact that those extra z-levels merely *exist*. They squat uselessly in memory, but I think mostly that just makes fortress save/load slow, and is a bigger problem for adventure-mode where they have to be constantly re-generated. It seems likely that once surface-sites become a priority, Toady or Putnam can find the necessary optimizations.

I also know that the question of "site stacking" has come up a few times - like embarking in the caverns under a human town. Currently, the map treats all sites as being infinitely tall, and all kinds of broken wackiness results from any kind of overlap. Cubic sites that can sit atop one another is one of the main aims of the map-rewrite I think:
Quote from: therahedwig
With the map rewrite, were you also planning to make it easy for sites to dynamically resize? Like, for example, Dwarves digging down greedily, but also perhaps surface towns expanding.

I thought it might help a lot with situations where the player's fort map is slowing down because 250 cave horses are trying to path through the third cave, and I wasn't sure whether to expect that from the rewrite.

PatrikLundell: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg7937076#msg7937076
therahedwig (op): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg7937090#msg7937090

Yeah, as you say in your second post, it'll give us way more control over the "loaded pillar" so that the third cave just isn't loaded until you get down there, if that's what you mean about the cave horses.  And there should be lots of other ramifications about how sites grow, overlap and are shaped generally.  That's always been one of the oddest things about adv mode especially -- as you walk around, it has the underworld and all three cave layers loaded, which is just weird and wasteful (but necessary the way things are now.)
where is up?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5800 on: February 16, 2024, 03:15:49 am »

My understanding of the logic of loading different levels at different times is that it would make it possible to load the underground Z levels only where they are of interest, so if you had a large site and dug down under a few tiles, underground Z levels would need to be loaded only for those mid level tiles (A.K.A. embark tiles), and only the Z levels that need to be loaded (what the granularity will be will probably be a matter of implementation: it could be individual Z levels, layers, fixed number of Z levels per block, or something else).

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUNS:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5801 on: February 18, 2024, 12:19:43 am »

Thank you for the replies! (And the awesome game, of course!)
I have a couple of questions regarding Adventure Mode, generally on the modder's side of things.

1. The portraits look like they're set up to automatically apply the hundred-or-so raw colors for worn items and eyes, but I haven't seen them applied to any previews. Will there be palette support for layered graphics? Any new uses for palettes planned, like doing unit-colored clothing as a palleted graphic?

2. Adventure crafting is minimal without modded reactions, and thus end up running into unexpected limitations. Is it likely we will see any bugfixes for typical reaction pitfalls, like unwearable gloves or stacked/dimensioned reagents (bone, bars, globs, etc) in the April update?
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
Mod releases

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: February 18, 2024, 07:40:33 pm »

Will human, elven, and goblin civilizations be given hairstyling options now that we're getting procedural portraits? Also, why don't elf sprites show their facial hair, and goblin sprites don't show their hair or facial hair? I did notice though that the goblin portrait examples showed hair, but not beards. Elves and goblins do have beards, so the sprites should probably show that.

saharo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: February 19, 2024, 08:45:38 am »

Any plans to make water a continuous requirement for farming (and other crafts)?
Several DF crafts depend - in their real-life counterparts - on having water: farming, brewing, cooking, dyeing, smithing, breeding, and I'm sure I'm missing some.
While df-irrigation is used to create farmable soil, farmers don't water their plants.
I'm sure this topic has been raised a million times, so I expect one of you more informed veterans to help me out :D

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: February 19, 2024, 04:04:21 pm »

I know water for brewing has been asked about before, and i think the response was that it probably will in the future.

there was some bugs buckets that needed fixing first, among other things. Worldgen forts also dont always have access to water, but i guess they can import products from hillocks which do. which was another aspect which player forts need to be able to do as well - found hillocks nearby or import/export directly from your outlying settlements.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 392