Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 391

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2926950 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2018, 03:22:11 pm »

With tribute being offered from subjugated sites now, will that translate to recieving tribute and/or taxes from sites which belong to a land-holder position or monarch in your fort? Can we recieve slaves or war prisoners if our civ permits them?

Do you think these items would be private property of that noble or fort property? Would they hoard items/creaturea they like and distribute the rest?

Might we also see tribute for heroic deeds performed by one of our dwarves, say slaying a beast that killed many people?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 03:29:13 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2018, 03:48:08 pm »

Also are mounts something we can look forward to before the big wait?

They're on the updated development list, so they're at least a candidate for pre-magic work.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2018, 04:33:22 pm »

With tribute being offered from subjugated sites now, will that translate to recieving tribute and/or taxes from sites which belong to a land-holder position or monarch in your fort? Can we recieve slaves or war prisoners if our civ permits them?

Do you think these items would be private property of that noble or fort property? Would they hoard items/creaturea they like and distribute the rest?

Might we also see tribute for heroic deeds performed by one of our dwarves, say slaying a beast that killed many people?

I am pretty sure the answer will be 'in the law, status and property' release in a few years time.  ;)

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2018, 05:27:52 pm »

1. It was stated on the development page that our adventurers could receive support for artifact quests, what would this support entail?
2. On the updated development page one of the pre magic release candidates is showing personal relationships with people. What personal relation ships that you can think of do you think you will include before the myth and magic arc and what effects would these relationships have on gameplay if any?
3. Another thing listed on the updated development page is the ability to acquire positions in civilizations, how would our adventurer's go about acquiring these positions and what game play effects could they have if any?
4. Finally yet another thing listed on the updated development page is medical improvements for adventure mode, what ways of tending to our adventurers medically do you have in mind? Furthermore will our adventurers be able to acquire skills related to medical care?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2018, 12:43:14 am »

I am pretty sure the answer will be 'in the law, status and property' release in a few years time.  ;)

But i want details about what toady has planned, of course!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2018, 02:31:03 am »

Posting to watch.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2018, 08:46:17 am »

But i want details about what toady has planned, of course!

There probably are no details for that far ahead.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2018, 11:32:21 am »

• Do you personally see your current development progress in this quarter as the unofficial hurrying of the 'Hill Dwarf' arc forward before the Magic Arc or do you think you are being conservative with saving advanced development of the Hill Dwarf arc for later?
  • Are we likely to see some subterranean map interface & the Deep-Dwarves this cycle before the Magic Arc?
Just some questions bouncing around in my mind, its easy to get excited about the new rush of features (and the tinkering process of cleaning up the bugs after them) I may have answered my own question in a sort of way when i consider that the development page are only 'candidates' but i don't think the community would be too upset with establishing some worldbuilding before the maelstrom of procedural generation bugs from magic touching most of the game systems.  :D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 12:26:18 pm by FantasticDorf »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2018, 11:57:13 am »

• Do you personally see your current development progress in this quarter as the unofficial hurrying of the 'Hill Dwarf' arc forward before the Magic Arc or do you think you are being conservative with saving advanced development of the Hill Dwarf arc for later?
  • Are we likely to see some underground plane interactions & the Deep-Dwarves this cycle before the Magic Arc?
Just some questions bouncing around in my mind, its easy to get excited about the new rush of features (and the tinkering process of cleaning up the bugs after them) I may have answered my own question in a sort of way when i consider that the development page are only 'candidates' but i don't think the community would be too upset with establishing some worldbuilding before the maelstrom of procedural generation bugs from magic touching most of the game systems.  :D
Any plane related stuff is likely to involve map structure rewrites. If that's the case they'll most probably be pushed to the other side of the save compatibility breaking stuff changes, as that's a clear save break candidate, as well as map rewriting in itself may break whatever minor additions are made just before the breaking, in which case Toady will most likely hold off on it on order not to waste efforts implementing stuff that soon will have to be rewritten/adjusted anyway.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2018, 12:30:17 pm »

~snip~
Any plane related stuff is likely to involve map structure rewrites. If that's the case they'll most probably be pushed to the other side of the save compatibility breaking stuff changes, as that's a clear save break candidate, as well as map rewriting in itself may break whatever minor additions are made just before the breaking, in which case Toady will most likely hold off on it on order not to waste efforts implementing stuff that soon will have to be rewritten/adjusted anyway.

Ouch, fair answer, may end up just breaking everything on the way down, though besides that linux 100% cpu lockup bug going on at the moment, Toady seems to be very ontop of the new features being presented and much of the persistent bugs before the current version appear to be causing more issues than anything outstandingly new.

*Edit - I edited my question from 'plane' to subterranean for more clarity but patriklundell's answer is still likely to rely with viewing more than 1 concurrent map at once.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:14:16 pm by FantasticDorf »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2018, 02:19:56 pm »

1. It was stated on the development page that our adventurers could receive support for artifact quests, what would this support entail?
Here's an answer from an earlier FotF reply:
What was going to be covered in the dev item "support for the journey" (seems to have been skipped for this time?)? Is that something like hiring hill dwarves and such to assist? Or sending ahead word for supplies to be prepared?
Yeah, we were hoping to have some helpful, say, hearthpeople go along, and perhaps give you some free access to food/equipment etc.  We wanted it to be unlike the typical we-won't-help-you-but-please-save-the-world quest givers, but we didn't get there.  The ducks don't seem to line up well on anything even tangentially related to economic stuff, because there are some formalities missing and everything ends up being too much of a too-large placeholder.  Got closest to having helpers, but something came up even in that case.  Don't recall what.  We'll get there eventually.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2018, 05:43:07 pm »

Economy is right now a big black hole in the game, but I understand why at least the myth framework should be done first.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2018, 05:54:30 am »

What was the first thing that came to mind that led to the player being unable to exchange items with children NPCs in adventure mode? My guess is either the "buy an NPC's clothes off them" exploit, or giving them booze. Though the latter would've made sense for dwarven children...

I'm mostly wondering what provoked the decision first. I'd be tempted to ask whether "dwarven santa" is a future plan but that's both unlikely to be relevant to any development arc, and something no sane player will likely do. XP
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2018, 07:15:58 am »

You talked at lot earlier about a myth editor.  What exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean an actual program that allows us to modify the actual mythology of a generated world, a set of world-gen parameters manually entered in prior to initiating the myth generation or an actual script internal to the DF program which takes moddable raws as input and 'edits' the default mythology script's output.  I would prefer the latter arrangement, so we could define that for instance the moon will originate from the sun, but the generator will determine randomly exactly how that happened.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2018, 07:44:07 am »

You talked at lot earlier about a myth editor.  What exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean an actual program that allows us to modify the actual mythology of a generated world, a set of world-gen parameters manually entered in prior to initiating the myth generation or an actual script internal to the DF program which takes moddable raws as input and 'edits' the default mythology script's output.  I would prefer the latter arrangement, so we could define that for instance the moon will originate from the sun, but the generator will determine randomly exactly how that happened.
Editing myths will be part of the world editor, which is for creating fixed worlds so you could create middle-earth, populate it with all of Tolkien's creation myth, historical characters, rings, silmarils, sites like Moria and Minas Tirith, etc.

Doubt it'll all be possible in the first version of course.

And the mythgenerator itself will have raw settings as shown in the demo, but probably more detailed.

But, yeah, I'll sure that's not everything, would love to hear more about how it's all going to work.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 03:02:38 am by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 391