Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850127 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 12:26:13 pm »

Keep up the good work, Toady!

(posting to watch)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 01:12:11 pm »

Will battles and war and the likes ever be an on-screen thing? Will I be able to watch and control my dworfs in epic battles, offensive sieges, or see them in a town I captured? Will raids follow that eventually or will only certain things get that king of treatment? Or will that not happen at all?
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: DG
Has Toady mentioned whether in the first iteration you'll be able to see the tact squads in action in some sort of remote window view or will they simply disappear off screen and then update you on what's happened when/if they later return?
Knight Otu answered this, but just to reiterate, definitely no remote view on the first pass.  It's a hard/tedious problem akin to the addition of the Z coordinate to get that working in the current framework.  However, it's also a problem we'd like to tackle -- magic release is the first place that might happen, with something like planar travel (which is best when you can see both sides of a portal, say).  When we code that, it'll support viewing squads in the same plane at distant locations.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 05:05:41 pm »

Specifically which portions of the rest of the Improved Sieges notes (besides prisoner stuff) are you leaning towards leaving us with before the Big Wait?
From the way it's worded it seems to refer to specifically just the prisoner stuff? (as in, he cut those 2 items out of the improved sieges section and into the pre-magic stuff)..[/color]
It says some things from Improved Sieges below and also the prisoner stuff (which is new and not in Improved Sieges).

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 06:06:10 pm »

It says some things from Improved Sieges below and also the prisoner stuff (which is new and not in Improved Sieges).

The below refers to the prisoner stuff, no? (which was previously listed under improved sieges)

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2018, 06:24:16 pm »

All the updates recently related to the army arc make me really excited because I love how we can now interact with the world in meaningful ways. Is real-time battles with the full glory and gore of the combat system one of those things that will wait until the map rewrite? It's a bit silly maybe but I love thinking of how DF could rise to the top in yet another gaming genre as the best RTS / strategy game once the army arc gets more and more realized, albeit just in small steps for now. (Total War but in a procedurally generated world with detailed body simulation anyone?)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 05:15:10 pm by Vivalas »
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2018, 06:28:04 pm »

The below refers to the prisoner stuff, no? (which was previously listed under improved sieges)
Ah, so the 'also:' is just a copy/paste error? Fair enough.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2018, 10:05:48 pm »

Will the medical improvements to the military system extend to animals, pets, and mounts? To fortress mode so dwarves will operate a proper veterinary hospital service? Civilization Ethics behind putting down a pet or mount which is too badly wounded to live?

If the player can give items to companions, and mounts are kind-of those, would this allow player-controlled pack animals to exist? Mounts with war gear like armor/uniform? How will this be integrated into the military screen?

Finally fixing the "Amphibian mount drowns their rider" problem?

+ Will mounts/pets have to be fed by the player or are they abstracted to handle it themselves while traveling? Will fortress mode animals be feedable, finally, to avoid starvation while the fortress guard rides their war horses through the stone floor halls?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 10:20:04 pm by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2018, 10:43:38 pm »

Will the medical improvements to the military system extend to animals, pets, and mounts? To fortress mode so dwarves will operate a proper veterinary hospital service? Civilization Ethics behind putting down a pet or mount which is too badly wounded to live?

If the player can give items to companions, and mounts are kind-of those, would this allow player-controlled pack animals to exist? Mounts with war gear like armor/uniform? How will this be integrated into the military screen?

Finally fixing the "Amphibian mount drowns their rider" problem?

+ Will mounts/pets have to be fed by the player or are they abstracted to handle it themselves while traveling? Will fortress mode animals be feedable, finally, to avoid starvation while the fortress guard rides their war horses through the stone floor halls?

Do dwarves even have mounts right now? The mounts in the upcoming updates mentioned are for adventurers.  Eventually I'm sure there'll be fortress mode mounts, but I'd guess they're not coming soon.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2018, 12:58:08 am »

Dorf siegers have mounts. But not the dorfs you play.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2018, 01:03:14 am »

Dorf siegers have mounts. But not the dorfs you play.
Not yet anyhow. :)

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2018, 07:22:24 am »

1. Will armies be able to defect/rebel/desert/turn to banditry under the appropriate circumstances?

2. Similarly, once we are able to appoint administrators to conquered sites, will the sites be able to rebel?

3. Will we be able to send messengers to nearby sites to request military assistance in case of a siege? Or request additional troops from the Mountainhome to garrison the fortress?

4. Will passing armies sometimes request temporary hospitality at your fortress, with the ability to accept or refuse?

5. Will we be able to yield the fortress without a fight to invaders? Related, will there be mechanics for your own fort being occupied (such as a hostile garrison being put in place)?

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2018, 03:14:44 pm »

Can you elaborate on the current efficiency of the program in terms of world building?  Would you remark as to the feasibility of separating the world building part of DF into a separate slave-executeable which we could put on servers to allow worlds to be built by faster computers (probaby maintained by the community)?
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2018, 04:51:46 pm »

Can you elaborate on the current efficiency of the program in terms of world building?  Would you remark as to the feasibility of separating the world building part of DF into a separate slave-executeable which we could put on servers to allow worlds to be built by faster computers (probaby maintained by the community)?
I very much doubt it would be particularly useful. DF essentially uses a single thread (which can execute in parallel with other threads running other DF instances), but also uses a lot of memory access (which mostly would compete with other DF instances). At the end you might build a custom computer that generates a 4 hour world in half an hour provided nobody else is using it, but would be slower than local world gen if there is a significant demand for it.
Just start the world gen and do something else (such as go to sleep or work).

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2018, 05:13:21 am »

Thanks for the answers, Toady!

Something that struck me earlier thinking of the myth and magic stuff, and as far as I can remember hasn't been officially talked about (someone please point me in the right direction if it has):
Do the plans for permanent changes to occur to myth-level elements during regular play include changes to races? It's a fairly common fantasy theme after all to have races be cursed and/or corrupted and become dark elves and whatnot.

During the GDS myth talk, there was a piece where a god cursed a group of fey to become demons as a punishment, and I think I remember seeing something about cursing dwarves to become goblins as well. I could see something like this happen where instead of using an existing race, it would derive the new race from the old.

Further to this, the Foul Blendec origin story shows that permanent change/corruption/degeneration of races is something they'd like to explore. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/story/tt_forest_befouled.html

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2018, 06:38:30 am »

The 'medical improvements' listed in the dev log are for adv. mode only, or we also are gonna get improvements in fort mode healthcare?
Could you elaborate on the type of improvements you've thought?

I was also wondering about this.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 389