Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850328 times)

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2018, 08:40:21 pm »

1. In the list of candidates for pre-magic release features one of them is our adventurers giving tactical commands to their companions, what sort of commands might we be able to give our companions in battle? Would it be just basic stuff like attack or hold or do you have more in mind?
2. Another thing listed among the candidates is pets and mounts for our adventurers, would we only be able to acquire these pets and mounts at character creation or could we tame creatures out in the world post character creation to be our pets and mounts?
3. Will skills relating to animal handling and riding be added to account for the new pets and mounts?
4. Going back a bit, in Cado's Magical Journey it was stated in the mechanics review at the end that becoming corrupted past a certain threshold might grant you special powers, would these corruptions related powers be listed in the myth generator?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2018, 09:53:36 pm »

I think the tactical commands for companions were my suggestion.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

EPM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2018, 05:10:16 pm »

So about villains.

Does this include self-motivated "supervillains" that operate at world-level? As it stands, the goblin civ leader-type demons and very old vampires/necromancers are the closest we have to what I'd call true 'villains', though the planar stuff and magic release will probably introduce more. Megabeasts and titans are closer to rampaging wildlife, lacking greater motives. Thieves and even deadly ambushes or sieges are typically relevant to a single site, they're enemies but not villains with distinct motives. That's my own sense of semantics, however: A villain is a sapient character with a motive, rather than a beast or a minion.

For example, an elf that sets out to turn two human civs against each other using cover identities and assassinations.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2018, 06:03:53 pm »

I'm also curious about what's in store for villains. I expect we'll have to wait until the magic arc for massive Sauron-esque threats to the world at large, but something like the example you gave would be interesting for the nearer future.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2018, 07:50:32 pm »

I'm kind of excited to see it. I hope we'll get a lot of varieties in terms of villains - both singular, Sauron-esque "supervillain" dark lords, and collective groups of such, like demon-worshipping cults.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2018, 08:13:41 pm »

Indeed. Both "dark lords" and demon cults feature in several of ThreeToe's stories, so as such I'd expect them to be fairly common in the future.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2018, 02:37:31 am »

G'day

I apologise as the question isn't exactly about current development.
In the Creation myth and magic systems dev log you set a point for ancient races and their actions, do you intend to allow for large gaps in time between creation and play (something on the scale of 5000 after creation) - perhaps a length of time we can control as a slider when specifying our world whether we'd want to play just after creation or ages beyond.

In my mind it would use unspecified periods of time, with intermediate ages between creation and play.

Onto something slightly more relevant to current development
Would the 'Return of minor disruptive behavior and arrests' point enable us as fortress overseer to arrest citizens and visitors as we please?
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2018, 08:25:43 am »

So about villains.

Does this include self-motivated "supervillains" that operate at world-level? As it stands, the goblin civ leader-type demons and very old vampires/necromancers are the closest we have to what I'd call true 'villains', though the planar stuff and magic release will probably introduce more. Megabeasts and titans are closer to rampaging wildlife, lacking greater motives. Thieves and even deadly ambushes or sieges are typically relevant to a single site, they're enemies but not villains with distinct motives. That's my own sense of semantics, however: A villain is a sapient character with a motive, rather than a beast or a minion.

For example, an elf that sets out to turn two human civs against each other using cover identities and assassinations.
Hmm. As of now the only real "world-ending" threat would be goblins conquering sites and eventually taking over the world through wars, but that's not exactly something that happens quickly. Making a big enough hole in Hell for all the clowns to crawl out is something that should be fairly world-ending, but it isn't yet. If we want villains that adventurers can Save the World from, maybe the circus is where that can be accomplished before the myth and magic arc.
Maybe you could see historical figures seeking immortality or to rule the world turning to trying to open up hell, in the hopes/deluded belief that the demons will help.

...I'm not sure if this warrants a suggestion thread.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2018, 01:06:22 pm »

Making a big enough hole in Hell for all the clowns to crawl out is something that should be fairly world-ending, but it isn't yet.

It can occasionally cause a local apocalypse though. I dunno if it's provoked by a fort falling or being abandoned, but in some cases the demons disperse like post-abandonment dwarves do (which makes me ponder if it was the latter when I tested it), causing problems for the general area.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2018, 02:16:59 pm »

I've come across that as well the few times I went to my ruined forts in adventure mode - the demons that destroyed it after coming out of hell would actually traverse the area near my fort (looking like any travelers) and ambush my adventurer.

It does, admittedly, seem more like a "local, stoppable" apocalypse scenario though. I think I once suggested more complex, worldwide ones in the previous FoTF thread - who knows what we'll see once doomsday scenarios are actually a thing though.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2018, 02:58:07 pm »

It does, admittedly, seem more like a "local, stoppable" apocalypse scenario though.

That's just a case of "not enough holes into Hell" though. :3
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2018, 04:04:54 pm »

1. Is making latched attacks(specifically bites) interact with armor layers again any where on the radar for the near future in bug fixing rounds? Right now an armless, legless elf is more dangerous than an limbed one. They also don't seem to respect armor deflections.

2. Now that armor can break, is there any plan to change how force penetrates armor? right now if armor is pierced,
 the attack loses about 5% of it's force. This lead to all armor layers on a part tending to break at once.  Maybe subtracting the value required to penetrate the layer from the remaining force?

Apologies if these are completely on topic, they're my first FoF questions.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:07:26 pm by Nihilist »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2018, 05:05:14 pm »

Will a retired player fortress accept a tribute demand? What happens on unretire? Is there a check from the original demanders to notice if tribute isn't coming any more? Will they go to war over it?

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2018, 05:30:25 pm »

Edit: Nevermind, turns out I asked this question a year ago.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 08:11:36 am by Daniel the Finlander »
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2018, 10:49:26 am »

Do you feel confident in your foward planning with this development step and ways that players may attempt to break the game with forced administrators or self-founded hillock sites in ways such as sending a troupe of half-pet half/citizen tamed gremlins from vanilla or modded creatures to be the the population or forced administrator?

Im aware i asked a similar question on creature migrants gained anysuchow way in august last year, in regards to making single non-standard and definitely player induced creature majority minor settlements for migrants over time in the strange way non-standard pops cross over from animals to people or arrive outside the fortress as adventurers if you wanted a more typical human only hillock full of ex-bards. But it's always interesting to hear about your opinions on the feasability of features as we get closer to the eventual goal and the current status of the systems are brought more into focus.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sitting around the meeting hall with all my barons, including the count of Gremlinburg trying to raise funds because wanton abandon with mischeviously pulling levers all the time native to their little race has caused the entire settlement to collapse into ruin for the fifth time in the last 20 years.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 11:14:41 am by FantasticDorf »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 389