Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851708 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2018, 12:31:28 pm »

Do you feel confident in your foward planning with this development step and ways that players may attempt to break the game with forced administrators or self-founded hillock sites in ways such as sending a troupe of half-pet half/citizen tamed gremlins from vanilla or modded creatures to be the the population or forced administrator?

Im aware i asked a similar question on creature migrants gained anysuchow way in august last year, in regards to making single non-standard and definitely player induced creature majority minor settlements for migrants over time in the strange way non-standard pops cross over from animals to people or arrive outside the fortress as adventurers if you wanted a more typical human only hillock full of ex-bards. But it's always interesting to hear about your opinions on the feasability of features as we get closer to the eventual goal and the current status of the systems are brought more into focus.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sitting around the meeting hall with all my barons, including the count of Gremlinburg trying to raise funds because wanton abandon with mischeviously pulling levers all the time native to their little race has caused the entire settlement to collapse into ruin for the fifth time in the last 20 years.
Multiple sized citizenry is rather annoying when it comes to clothing, at least if you want to outfit them with masterworks, as there is no way to control the production of items when it comes to quality. This is mitigated to some extent by the failure of "over clothing" and clothing items in uniforms (excluding underwear and cloaks) to work properly (as in: they actually wear the full uniform, rather than just a sock on one foot and a boot on the other, skipping the rest of the equipment for that body part pair). It doesn't help with shaped clothing items that block helmets either, as even if you don't produce those yourself, your greedy little buggers will be lightning quick to raid the battlefields for them. However, the production issues for armor worsened (in this sense: the overall concept is sound) as armor wear was introduced, as before that you just had to produce your full set of masterworks items once, while now you have to juggle replacements.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2018, 01:13:07 pm »

Yeah i know, i've heard stories about people who've had issues equipping human mercenary visitors when there's a lot of variables like the visitor might just have a large 'tallness' modifier ontop of their 70000 body size that pushes them slightly over.

I guess that filters down to the question in preparation, if there's a sudden influx of animalpeople migrants from a site you've just put your administrator over (it can happen if it's same site, goblin slaves can be multi racial and migrate as long as they're civilians in the midst of probably 100's of goblins) by imposing a civ alliegence how are they going to handle all the clothing requirements?

I mean its sort of evident that Toady does shy away from this issue a little bit, but its also a UI problem in which it is hard to determine at a glance without estimating from descriptors like 'they are tall' their actual height range. In a ideal world it would be something as simple as putting in a (d)etails option to simply choose a race and then apply a generic 'tall' 'small' and 'normal' range based off people on map and some presets or let the creator make it to their own dimensions.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 01:15:50 pm by FantasticDorf »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2018, 02:24:00 pm »

Well, historically clothes were "tailor made" for whoever was going to wear them. That did not mean clothes weren't inherited, only that they were made to sort of fit the original wearer (the loose terms are used because the clothes were usually made within the household, not by a professional tailor). Obviously, nobility is a different case, as were expensive armor.
I'm not sure Toady is "shying away" from the issue: rather, it's not obvious how to implement it in such a way that it both provides player control (for those who want it) and ease of use. Guilds would be a potential point to rectify the issue whereby you could turn things around to have dorfs request production of items and then pick them up later, but you'd have to find a model whereby you're able to flow that down to cloth production->farming/husbandry in a manner that's possible to understand and control at the desired level of detail, including handling of shortages (you don't want some dorfs to go naked with the clothing having rotted off their bodies because other dorfs consistently manage to order new production at the slightest sign of wear (or just a desire to hoard stuff) when you don't have enough to keep everyone equipped.
Another issue is that a lot of clothing production means a lot of worn clothing disposal...

So far I haven't encountered anyone that won't wear race appropriate items.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2018, 08:47:15 pm »

Since the mortality rate for my inexperienced tacticians is the same as their underlings:
Will we be able to set squad leaders to not fight?
Or at least not right away, only in the case of losing or somehow forced to, by bad circumstances.

Also, because I would like raids to be a heavier project:
Will there be support roles for raids, like haulers, pack animals and field medics for distant expeditions?

Now, for something more general:
Any plans for using Unicode characters, in interface or for tiles?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:40:26 pm by Magistrum »
In a time before time, I had a name.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2018, 10:21:42 pm »

Since the mortality rate for my inexperienced tacticians is the same as their underlings:
Will we be able to set squad leaders to not fight?
Or at least not right away, only in the case of losing or somehow forced to, by bad circumstances.
Also, because I would like raids to be a heavier project:
Will there be support roles for raids, like haulers, pack animals and field medics for distant expeditions?
I imagine these are more likely to be part of the about-to-be-introduced armies. Raiding squads are pretty minor in comparison.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2018, 11:52:03 pm »

1. How diverse will we be able to make our adventuring parties? For example could someone make a party of a human, an elf, a dwarf, a goblin, an animal person and a gorlack? Also can we make them of various statuses like having a demigod, hero and peasant in the same party?
2. One of the things mentioned as a candidate for a pre myth and magic update feature is interrogating prisoners in both modes, in adventure mode will we have the option of using non lethal beatings to make a prisoner talk in addition to verbal coercion?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 11:54:20 pm by Beag »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2018, 12:38:22 am »

1. How diverse will we be able to make our adventuring parties? For example could someone make a party of a human, an elf, a dwarf, a goblin, an animal person and a gorlack? Also can we make them of various statuses like having a demigod, hero and peasant in the same party?

You can do this already, so yes, pretty diverse.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2018, 12:48:11 am »

With the Map-rewrite on the Horizon can we expect more nonmagical features as well? Stuff like Tablemountains, proper Canyons, postglacial landscapes with houssized boulders and the like that (iirc) planed once upon a time?

Also now that we have a worldscreen can we expect to be able to build roads and/or tunnels to other places?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2018, 03:28:19 am »

1. Can we expect procedurally generated recipe books and bar games before the magic release?

2. Are there any ideas that you had begun to implement in the past that were so difficult or gigantic that they were abandoned or put on the permanent backburner?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 03:33:25 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2018, 08:49:51 am »

1. Can we expect procedurally generated recipe books and bar games before the magic release?

No. They were part of taverns that were put off until tavern like things are looked at again (most likely economy, because why gamble or make unique meals if there's no profit to be made).

Next is magic (after the next 6 months of bugs, suggestions and army stuff is finished).

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2018, 12:58:13 pm »

Next is magic (after the next 6 months of bugs, suggestions and army stuff is finished).

Before that, a short arc about Villains & Plots, if i understood correctly the GDC talk staff

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2018, 04:03:42 pm »

Before that, a short arc about Villains & Plots, if i understood correctly the GDC talk staff
That's what we're in at the moment for the next 6 months. Armies, villains, etc. The dev page was updated a couple of weeks ago.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 04:05:15 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2018, 06:49:45 pm »

Probably asked before, but my search fu is weak...

Do you consider any system in the game as completely done (apart from bugs, etc)? Which ones?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 10:13:07 pm by thvaz »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2018, 09:16:41 pm »

Probably asked before, but my seach fu is weak...

Do you consider any system in the game as completely done (apart from bugs, etc)? Which ones?

Pretty sure the geology. Myth will add fantasy geologies, but the mundane geology is done.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2018, 10:14:12 pm »

Probably asked before, but my seach fu is weak...

Pretty sure the geology. Myth will add fantasy geologies, but the mundane geology is done.
Think Toady said recently that needs a rewrite too (probably at the same time as mythgen fantasy rocks as that'll break save compatibility anyhow).
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 389