Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851151 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2018, 11:47:45 pm »

Pretty sure the geology. Myth will add fantasy geologies, but the mundane geology is done.

My utterly-worthless-for-stone-tools chert laughs at your idea of what "done" looks like.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2018, 04:48:05 pm »

That's not geology, that's mineralogy. Totally different.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2018, 06:28:44 am »

1.It was mentioned in the upcoming feature section that adventurers could gain positions of nobility and engage in intrigue and conspiracy and whatnot. As political marriages are a major part of many fantasy settings, could we expect some sort of rudimentary courting or marriage system in the near future?

2. Will we be seeing any new civilizations pop up any time soon, like above-ground tribes or independent bandit entities?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:29:03 am by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2018, 12:06:47 pm »

1.It was mentioned in the upcoming feature section that adventurers could gain positions of nobility and engage in intrigue and conspiracy and whatnot. As political marriages are a major part of many fantasy settings, could we expect some sort of rudimentary courting or marriage system in the near future?

2. Will we be seeing any new civilizations pop up any time soon, like above-ground tribes or independent bandit entities?

Limey green please, no dark goblin greens.

Mixed racial marriages are not really a thing in DF (in terms of marrying for love & family), it'd have to be with a dwarf leader (typically) or dwarven civilisations if that's the scope you are thinking of, which may be impractical but maybe possible if you have a specifically groomed non-dwarf candidate or a non-dwarf king/noble. Not sure what Toady would be saying though about that honestly.

Necromancers already have a site group name funnily enough, so i guess they are a faction 'of sorts' introduced but unless toady decides to follow up on a rework of how the bandit & necro tower sites are built up and maybe gets a little bit too carried away exploring that i guess not too much will happen in that area outside of the development candidate brief. No dedicated necro faction i guess.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 12:16:48 pm by FantasticDorf »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2018, 03:52:50 pm »

Mixed racial marriages are not really a thing in DF (in terms of marrying for love & family), it'd have to be with a dwarf leader (typically) or dwarven civilisations if that's the scope you are thinking of, which may be impractical but maybe possible if you have a specifically groomed non-dwarf candidate or a non-dwarf king/noble. Not sure what Toady would be saying though about that honestly.

Necromancers already have a site group name funnily enough, so i guess they are a faction 'of sorts' introduced but unless toady decides to follow up on a rework of how the bandit & necro tower sites are built up and maybe gets a little bit too carried away exploring that i guess not too much will happen in that area outside of the development candidate brief. No dedicated necro faction i guess.
Well, I'd say mixed racial marriages are currently not implemented/supported by DF, but if I understand it correctly, it's more a matter of figuring out to handle half breed offspring (and implement it) than a world thing, as I think at least one Threetoe story (Cado's Magical Journey?) has a human mage hooking up with a dwarf.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2018, 04:15:21 pm »

And a goblin/elf relationship too.
It's just a matter of taking the time to figure it out. Once procedural raws for regular races is a thing in mythgen, it's only a matter of time before the great cross-species generator sucks up 6 months of Toady's time.

But, as for current development, I think "Gaining civ-level entity positions (e.g. baron) by reputation or intrigue" in this case is more likely just referring to assassination.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2018, 09:28:49 pm »

Assuming it's not doing this already, perhaps it is:

Are you going to use the new detailed battle system from raids in regular worldgen? Or would that slow it down too much? Would be nice to see some of the new info on superior tactics, terrain and such in historical battles. I suppose hist-figs don't have generated equipment in worldgen, do they?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2018, 09:54:03 pm »

Are you going to use the new detailed battle system from raids in regular worldgen? Or would that slow it down too much? Would be nice to see some of the new info on superior tactics, terrain and such in historical battles. I suppose hist-figs don't have generated equipment in worldgen, do they?

It isn't. See issue here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10664
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2018, 10:05:01 pm »

It isn't. See issue here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10664
Yes, I saw that. Since someone thought to report it as a bug, I wondered if the new system was actually being used but reports weren't happening or if the new system simply isn't being used. The report seems inconclusive either way but I assume it's just that the system's not being used. Hence my question.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2018, 12:30:24 am »

Oh I was just thinking about marriage in general, not more complex stuff like inter-species marriages. Just that if you're a baron it'd make sense you'd get hitched and start a dynasty.

As for the second response I figured it'd probably be like that, I was just thinking about the new bandit fortress feature that might be happening.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2018, 04:50:57 am »

With minor modding the current game allows fort mode to be played with humans, goblins, elves and even kobolds. Presumably this hasn't made it into vanilla because they aren't as feature complete as dwarves and not yet differentiated enough. Is the work around the myth generator likely to change this? I assume some work will need to go into shoe-horning randomly generated high-magic-world races into fortress mode and am wondering if you think this will end up incorporating the original races as playable in vanilla at the same time or if they will wait for their own specific releases focused on the features you want present before making them playable?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2018, 05:33:10 am »

With minor modding the current game allows fort mode to be played with humans, goblins, elves and even kobolds. Presumably this hasn't made it into vanilla because they aren't as feature complete as dwarves and not yet differentiated enough. Is the work around the myth generator likely to change this? I assume some work will need to go into shoe-horning randomly generated high-magic-world races into fortress mode and am wondering if you think this will end up incorporating the original races as playable in vanilla at the same time or if they will wait for their own specific releases focused on the features you want present before making them playable?
A completely mundane world has only humans, so unless those worlds would be playable only in adventure mode (which seems rather unlikely) humans will have to be fleshed out, and you have the same issue at the chaotic end of the spectrum. Thus, at least one race ought to be playable in fortress mode for every setting of parameters, and preferably all of the "civilized" ones should be. The completely mundane setting can be handled by hand crafting humans, but the chaotic end would need a high degree of procedural adaptation to the world/race properties, and if that issue is handled there, it ought to be possible to apply it throughout to all races. Even so, that might not rule out a situation where the functionality remains geared towards the current dwarves, with logical options being absent/not yet implemented for other races. The current modding option is to create different looking dwarves, possibly with some functionality removed, but little added (shaping trees into housing for elves, vitamin D deficiency for humans and elves when spending too much time away from the sun...).

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2018, 07:26:16 am »

I wanna add onto the above-ground tribe question - are there any plans for additional tokens that would allow megabeasts and sentient wild creatures to spawn with weaponry, whether they are named artifacts or just mundane equipment? It would certainly allow some of the semimegas, especially the minotaurs, to be a lot more formidable - along with that aboveground animal people could spawn with clothing instead of being nudist tribes.

Also, were we to see aboveground tribes of animal people, how would they be handled? Would they be considered minor entities, similar to the underground animal people currently in, or would they have a separate system? I'm mostly concerned for modding purposes since IIRC there was some issue with underground animal people where if they're considered parts of these tribes it also doesn't let them join civilizations and be playable in that way. I don't remember if that still holds true, admittedly.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2018, 05:45:40 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's a good point about purely mundane worlds having only humans and thus necessitating that they be playable in fortmode. :) It probably should have occurred to me before I asked the question. I guess as ever Toady will have to stay disciplined and be wary of chasing down thousands of related tangents.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2018, 05:52:36 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's a good point about purely mundane worlds having only humans and thus necessitating that they be playable in fortmode. :) It probably should have occurred to me before I asked the question. I guess as ever Toady will have to stay disciplined and be wary of chasing down thousands of related tangents.
He did actually mention mundane adventurer only worlds. But it might just have been pondering.
Meh, since "adventurer" is about to include leading armies into battle and tactical skirmishing, don't think it's too bad of a thing.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 389