Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 392

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2935828 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #210 on: April 15, 2018, 05:28:29 pm »

I dunno, kinda fun to imagine a tavern full of shell-shocked dwarves drowning their sorrows. But yeah, I could see how it would be tiresome if they NEVER left.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 15, 2018, 05:28:44 pm »

1. Once the myth and magic update is released/partially released in worlds that have magic will NPC wizards make their own discoveries about magic during world generation? If so how wide spread could the knowledge they discover become?
2. Will each world with magic also generate it's own ways of researching magic and magical secrets or will there be a common set of ways or researching magic?
3. Once one of our adventurer wizards makes a discovery will that discovery be revealed in the myth viewer sort of like a fog of war with magic information?
4. Will our adventurers in some worlds with magic be able to make advances in discovering magical secrets with their own research or will they always need the help of a well established NPC wizard?

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 15, 2018, 06:00:02 pm »

1. Could we expect the ability to fast-travel through dark pits/caves if they are inhabited by friendly creatures in the near or far future? What about fording rivers or climbing mountains, though those might be tied to skills like swimming and climbing.
2. What exactly is the current reload time for bows and crossbows? Is there a difference between the two?
3. Would it eventually be possible to adjust the parameters of cave civs to create sites that are less labyrinthine? Sort of like the current worldgen settings for cavern passage density.
4. If [LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES] is added to an intelligent creature set to only spawn as the pets of an existing civilization, will fully-fledged civilized creatures be drawn from that population of pets, or is it required that they spawn in the wilderness to join a civilization as a proper member?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 05:20:49 pm by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 15, 2018, 07:26:40 pm »

Apart from being replaced by equal or stronger events, do long term memories fade over time? That is, they lose strength over the years to give the chance to other not so strong events to replace it in that long term memory spot?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 15, 2018, 09:36:31 pm »

Apart from being replaced by equal or stronger events, do long term memories fade over time? That is, they lose strength over the years to give the chance to other not so strong events to replace it in that long term memory spot?
I think that's what would happen once they starting dividing long term memories into life stages. Then it'll start getting interesting. A tragic event in childhood might not be recalled and dwelled upon so much in old age, but it might subconsciously effect their world view for their entire lives.

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2018, 01:12:47 am »

Are memory slots going to be tied to the Memory attribute?

I'm just already imagining making tragedy-curing potion with a syndrome that brings a dwarf's memory stat down temporarily until they've forgotten their troubles.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2018, 07:04:44 am »

I'm just already imagining making tragedy-curing potion with a syndrome that brings a dwarf's memory stat down temporarily until they've forgotten their troubles.

Elves and goblins never forget on part of their immortality, elves especially being vengeful and goblins being violent will probably mean their exotic personalities may be exaggerated through experience, should be fun to test out. Though it should be funnier to watch a bumbling vampires, necromancers or wizards forget details of their life after they attained immortality by other means with normal memory statistics.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2018, 07:06:00 am »

I think most people can imagine at least 8 horrific things that could happen over the course of a couple of years in-game, but what are potential long-term good memories that might help sooth a poor dorf's life? Getting married, having children, crafting ones first masterwork (possibly), being elected mayor (maybe), what else?

By that I mean, good memories which have a chance of actually sticking in the long term memory for a few years despite drownings, battles and enduring the decay of loved ones.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 07:13:09 am by Shonai_Dweller »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 16, 2018, 08:49:47 am »

I think the key will be allowing stress levels attached to a particular event to be mutable. If you're a member of a society in a brutal world where war is rampant you should probably be more emotionally resilient to death. A civilization probably wouldn't last long otherwise. Familiarity lending a certain emotional complacency could be part of it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2018, 08:54:51 am »

Festivals, holidays, official events like a coronation. These seem like things that might not be as intensely happy as getting married or having a child, but would certainly be memorable for a lot of dwarves and overall positive. I could see "throw really big parties" being a decent way to cope with a fortress full of death.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 16, 2018, 09:00:37 am »

I was thinking along the lines of materwork-loss-freakout that's already in the game. If you make one masterwork and it's destroyed, it's the end of the world. If you've made 50 thousand legendary roasts and the haulers allow one to rot you may think twice before randomly throwing a nearby anvil out of pique. Stress needs to have similar, but obviously not identical, mechanisms. And not a catch-all "Doesn't really care about anything anymore" solution either. As Tarn already pointed out, player feedback will be key.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 16, 2018, 11:00:55 am »

Elves and goblins never forget on part of their immortality, elves especially being vengeful and goblins being violent will probably mean their exotic personalities may be exaggerated through experience, should be fun to test out. Though it should be funnier to watch a bumbling vampires, necromancers or wizards forget details of their life after they attained immortality by other means with normal memory statistics.

Wait, is the updated stress system in effect for all races or just dorfs?

(Hoping another player can answer this which is why I didn't bother LG-ifying it)
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 16, 2018, 02:55:13 pm »

Wait, is the updated stress system in effect for all races or just dorfs?

(Hoping another player can answer this which is why I didn't bother LG-ifying it)

All races. As a rule of thumb, nothing is ever just for dwarves and dwarves are not special in any way that can't be changed in the raws.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:57:18 pm by Putnam »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 16, 2018, 03:18:25 pm »

Just wondering since dwarves are the only race that can by default go into strange moods, but I realize now how little that actually has to do with general stress. :P

Lordfiscus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 16, 2018, 03:26:50 pm »

1. Will you be able to reverse undeath in the future? Or, in the case of sentient race's corpses, will undead/thralls be able to have their minds restored? Could one have a thrall fortress, then?               
2. Will "Magic Missile"-type spells exist? How effective will they be, if not analogous to crossbow bolts/arrows?
3. I've heard that casting will be song-based from other users. Will this be the only way to cast spells, or will there be more classical methods, a la wands/books/staves/talismans? Does the material used to make such items affect casting functionality? Could a metal casting tool double as a bludgeoning weapon? Will one be able to make dual weapons/casting tools which the user alternates based on distance to target/threat severity?
4. What is the malus to using casting, if any? Is it simply how many times you can use a casting tool/ability per action? Like if it's song-based, the number of mouths on the creature? Or will there be a mana/focus/essence count that depletes as spells are used?
5. Can spells be fired through fortifications or is there a chance the projectile will hit the fortifications as it moves if too large, possibly setting off spell prematurely?
6. Can casting devices be made, a la ballistae or catapults, or even traps?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 392