Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850157 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #270 on: April 25, 2018, 07:22:51 am »

I've heard that one-way portals will come before two-way ones, but isn't a two-way portals just two one-way portals leading to and from opposite locations?
Will there be portals at all at this point that lead out of the fort, or are they just going to be for critters coming in?

As Dorsidwarf said, the issue is handling multiple locations concurrently, not the portals in themselves. Thus, the initial one way ones will all be inbound (it would be possible to handle two way ones the same as raids are handled currently [i.e. leave, return, and then produce a report of the action afterwards], but since that would be a short term measure that would be rendered obsolete within a few Myth & Magic arcs, Toady is unlikely to spend efforts on it unless the current raid system can be co-opted into service with rather little effort).

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 25, 2018, 08:49:45 am »

Doesn't seem super complicated. Dwarf squad goes to portal, 'ports out. Those units are unloaded and then handled like the current abstracted raids, minus the walking. After a bit the squad finishes the abstracted raid, 'port back to the fortress.

Once multiple sites being loaded at once is possible, the portal infrastructure can be kept, just replacing both kinds of raids with extra loaded sites.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 08:52:06 am by Egan_BW »
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 25, 2018, 10:29:50 am »

Yes, raids in their current form will probably have to be replaced eventually, although such a raid against a "fully grown" dark fortress would be an interesting test of how low an FPS players can accept... as well as a test of the dwarf fortress' defenses once the goblins find the portal.
Portal based raiding would probably be rather easy, but most anything else done on site would be throwaway functionality.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 25, 2018, 10:35:45 am »

Maybe. But on the other hand if we add the ability to send miners through the portal to the crystal dimension to bring back some shiny rocks, that could probably also be used to send your miners to the top of the mountain to mine for hematite.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 25, 2018, 05:29:24 pm »

About one-way portals, will there be Necromancer-like raids coming out of them? Kinda like “other realm” stuff. It would be intimidating to see a field of portals opening, summoning a creature, and closing.
No amount of mods is too much

saharo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 26, 2018, 05:47:11 am »

Regarding the myth&magic, I have a couple of questions that are linked to a recent post of mine in the suggestions thread (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=170297.0).

1) With the Myth&Magic system, will we see magical auras? Like the Surrounding system, an area might also be associated with a Myth, and exhibit properties of that Myth. Let's say the Myth generation creates a connection between ice, lizardmen and silver (I will call these spheres), and an area highly aligned with this Myth would be colder, show often snow, ice formations, lizard-like creatures, abundant silver veins, silver colored trees, and in general entities associated with those spheres.
2) Again on this aura concept. Will we see the properties of an area modify the value of its surrounding? E.g. a fortress with a shrine to a God: will the influence of that God increase with the prayers? Will we see anything like of building a fortress in an evil biome and trying to create and expand an aura that opposes the evil biome and having the evil biome effects less strong closer to the church?
Always on this, let's say there's an area with a verdant pine forest and full of bears, and the Myth generation creates a connection between a lightning god, bears and pine trees. Given how the area "looks like" that Myth, will the association of this area with this Myth increase over time, and see the place get more lightning storm, flowers that give you a shock if you eat them, then magical creatures of lightning and so on?
3) I see dwarves being more and more creative, telling stories, playing make believe, now even writing fiction books. Will this be expanded to fairytales? And could very famous fairytales have a concrete effect on the world, and be part of some sort of Myth generation during game time? The idea being that fairies inhabit the world of imagination and a strong believe can summon the fairies to the real world. Sufficient people telling the story of the big bad wolf living in a certain cave, has the effect of actually bringing a big bad fairy wolf to that very cave.
4) More in general, will Myth creation stop at worldgen? Or will it also run during playing time and include player introduce elements?
5) How much can we expect in terms of procedurally generated magical content? Will it include normal and widespread creatures and plants? Will we have generate worlds with large forest of procedurally generated trees, animals, stone, metal etc...?

First time posting in Future of the Fortress, hope that's how you do it :)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 26, 2018, 06:05:03 am »

1 to 2: auras will be only in some worlds, but they're a common concept, so they are likely to be in.

3: In some worlds.

4: No. It will be "living" like the world is at the moment. But some worlds will have immutable rules.

5: There will be a slider for that! From completely mundane life to completely random life!

There won't be a single magic system.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 06:07:51 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #277 on: April 26, 2018, 06:20:17 am »

1) With the Myth&Magic system, will we see magical auras? Like the Surrounding system, an area might also be associated with a Myth, and exhibit properties of that Myth. Let's say the Myth generation creates a connection between ice, lizardmen and silver (I will call these spheres), and an area highly aligned with this Myth would be colder, show often snow, ice formations, lizard-like creatures, abundant silver veins, silver colored trees, and in general entities associated with those spheres.

The current good/evil biome system is planned to sooner or later be changed out for a more generalized Sphere-based biome system, so yeah, something like this could probably happen. None of these are actual Spheres though, so they'd have to be connected to one in that case (Like DUSK or MOON).

I think this is discussed in one of the DF talks.

2) Again on this aura concept. Will we see the properties of an area modify the value of its surrounding? E.g. a fortress with a shrine to a God: will the influence of that God increase with the prayers? Will we see anything like of building a fortress in an evil biome and trying to create and expand an aura that opposes the evil biome and having the evil biome effects less strong closer to the church?
Always on this, let's say there's an area with a verdant pine forest and full of bears, and the Myth generation creates a connection between a lightning god, bears and pine trees. Given how the area "looks like" that Myth, will the association of this area with this Myth increase over time, and see the place get more lightning storm, flowers that give you a shock if you eat them, then magical creatures of lightning and so on?

The myth gen is not actually "myth" with any metaphysical properties, but really just very early history that includes the creation of the universe. In low-fastasy settings the myth gen might be actual myth, but then that just means that it didn't really happen (and the world was created my natural real-life processes).

Biomes changing I'm pretty sure will be a thing though.

4) More in general, will Myth creation stop at worldgen? Or will it also run during playing time and include player introduce elements?

Myth gen will end, but myth gen events will still be possible, if rare. Some good examples can be found in the Tales Foretold story (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/story/tt_tales_foretold.html), with various mass summonings of critters, ascensions to godhood, and the like.

5) How much can we expect in terms of procedurally generated magical content? Will it include normal and widespread creatures and plants? Will we have generate worlds with large forest of procedurally generated trees, animals, stone, metal etc...?

Depends on what you put the planned random slider at, with the lowest setting having none, and the highest setting having pretty much only random stuff.

3) is interesting though, placebo magic is something pretty cool after all.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 27, 2018, 08:22:43 pm »

Cave spider venom causes permanent dizziness for life. The only bug report I could find on the issue was closed, citing the raws as evidence of intended behavior. Is this actually true, or is it a mistake in the raws?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:30:52 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 27, 2018, 09:50:35 pm »

Cave spider venom causes permanent dizziness for life. The only bug report I could find on the issue was closed, citing the raws as evidence of intended behavior. Is this actually true, or is it a mistake in the raws?

Code: [Select]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:cave spider bite]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:SPIDER_CAVE:ALL]
[SYN_INJECTED]
[CE_DIZZINESS:SEV:10:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:START:5:PEAK:100]  never ends!

Hint: search the raws yourself. File is creature_subterranean.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 27, 2018, 10:05:54 pm »

Code: [Select]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:cave spider bite]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:SPIDER_CAVE:ALL]
[SYN_INJECTED]
[CE_DIZZINESS:SEV:10:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:START:5:PEAK:100]  never ends!

Hint: search the raws yourself. File is creature_subterranean.

Why I forgot, of course!

WHY HAVE YOU DONE THIS TO US
No amount of mods is too much

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 27, 2018, 10:32:26 pm »

Whoops. I thought that was part of the poster's comment.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 28, 2018, 02:53:48 am »

:
WHY HAVE YOU DONE THIS TO US
Two possible answers:
- Why not?; and
- Because I can!

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 28, 2018, 12:35:02 pm »

Well, If I were Toady, I would totally try to mess with the fanbase as much as I could

Having said that Now that we are gonna get assasinations and kidnapping missions in all modes, is it the time to make knocking out and dragging unconscious enemies possible?
If it were, will the also upcoming medical stuff in adv. mode include sleep/alertness inducing herbs to poison enemies?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #284 on: April 28, 2018, 01:07:02 pm »

In regards to conveying information more openly in adventure mode, do you intend making NPCs convey their emotions in more ways than merely stating them? I.e smiling when making a good deal, shrieking in pain when taking damage, or some of the mannerisms that are currently described only in fort mode? Would be fun to encounter the occasional hysterical bandit that loudly screams when lightly tapped. Or the psycho who grins as he/she is getting stabbed.

What about nobles? Would they say what they're nobles of? I often find an issue with various bandit leaders not really stating what they're leaders of, making it hard to tell if they're really relevant enough to bother with, same with other nobles - would be a definite improvement.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 389