Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851411 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #285 on: April 28, 2018, 03:21:06 pm »

In regards to conveying information more openly in adventure mode, do you intend making NPCs convey their emotions in more ways than merely stating them? I.e smiling when making a good deal, shrieking in pain when taking damage, or some of the mannerisms that are currently described only in fort mode? Would be fun to encounter the occasional hysterical bandit that loudly screams when lightly tapped. Or the psycho who grins as he/she is getting stabbed.
Wait, where does this happen in Fortress mode? It's the same "I've been mortally wounded, no that's not depressing" that Adventurer uses, isn't it?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #286 on: April 28, 2018, 03:31:58 pm »

I meant in the thoughts/preferences screen. The mannerisms only show up there, i.e "he talks in a monotone when angry", but nowhere else.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 28, 2018, 03:37:21 pm »

@ZM5
It'd help inmersion greatly
I actually think about this sometimes. This game is extremely deep/complex, and it aims to be it even more if the future yet it really is adverse to showing interesting information to the player

But, I'm sure Toady acknowledges this, and will tackle that problem eventually. If there's a Social/dialogues update arc, that's when it'll come in

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 28, 2018, 03:46:49 pm »

Well, I find it hard to imagine that "prioritizing important information" won't involve revealing a greater extent of interesting information to the player. So yeah, we can probably expect some of that from this update cycle (not that it'll be fleshed-out completely of course, Toady and many others are pretty anxious to start myth development at this point :P).
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 28, 2018, 04:03:11 pm »

Well, I find it hard to imagine that "prioritizing important information" won't involve revealing a greater extent of interesting information to the player. So yeah, we can probably expect some of that from this update cycle (not that it'll be fleshed-out completely of course, Toady and many others are pretty anxious to start myth development at this point :P).
I can't say for sure, but it seems that it's more about making the currently available information much more accessible to players instead of in long random lists.

Adding thousands of lines of dialogue and 'aarrgghh' type of exclamations to convey emotion seems a little out of the scope.

Including a Fortress mode style thoughts screen for your companions once the party mechanics are added might be good though. Then you can see if members fidget when they're nervous or are suffering from traumatic childhood memories.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 04:11:15 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #290 on: April 28, 2018, 05:42:25 pm »

Eh, I admittedly wasn't thinking in terms of adding more lines of dialogue (those could be relegated to raw files so players could just add more if they wish), moreso non-verbal communication that'd actually be conveyed in-game rather than only a line on the thoughts screen in fort mode.
It'd definitely help with immersion a lot - plus it could provide more of a use for the social awareness attribute for when/if more complex conversations get introduced. I.e with a low amount of it you'd probably have difficulty telling if someone's nervous about something they're asked about.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 28, 2018, 06:02:09 pm »

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too and thus didn't consider it too unachievable for this release cycle.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 28, 2018, 06:03:47 pm »

Is it bad if I really actually want billions of lines of dialogue?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 28, 2018, 06:17:58 pm »

No, that would actually be great...eventually. I just want myths and magic more right now. :P

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #294 on: April 28, 2018, 06:41:52 pm »

Concerning the more isolated and obscure intelligent species, such as gnomes, pixies, merfolk, satyrs, etc... Will the first pass of the mythgen update have any affect on these specie's organization (roaming tribes, et cetera), and to what extent do you see them attempting any variety of effective and placebo magic?

To what degree do you want a player to be able to direct their scholars to naturalist, druidic magics that can be practiced by these tribes and other tribes (kobolds, animalmen, etc)? Are you looking towards any manner of arbitrary or cultural barrier (through ethics?) to prevent a dwarven fortress from being competent in all worldly magics, or are you content with the dwarves being able to potentially fully develop their knowledge on obscure magics, given the resources?

To my understanding, many rituals will continue to exist in low-myth mode, but clearly not effective, such as priesthood and rituals that work for the mentioned placebo reasons. In higher myth strength worlds, do you see this placebic magic continuing to coexist with functional magical practices between cultures due to incomplete knowledge concerning all worldly magic, or will the effects and proof of magic be overt enough that the standards for believing a type of magic exists end up being raised compared to real life?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 06:43:56 pm by iceball3 »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 28, 2018, 09:13:09 pm »

Concerning the more isolated and obscure intelligent species, such as gnomes, pixies, merfolk, satyrs, etc... Will the first pass of the mythgen update have any affect on these specie's organization (roaming tribes, et cetera), and to what extent do you see them attempting any variety of effective and placebo magic?

To what degree do you want a player to be able to direct their scholars to naturalist, druidic magics that can be practiced by these tribes and other tribes (kobolds, animalmen, etc)? Are you looking towards any manner of arbitrary or cultural barrier (through ethics?) to prevent a dwarven fortress from being competent in all worldly magics, or are you content with the dwarves being able to potentially fully develop their knowledge on obscure magics, given the resources?

Obligatory reminder that there won't be a single magic system goes here.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #296 on: April 28, 2018, 10:08:06 pm »

Obligatory reminder that there won't be a single magic system goes here.
Could you rephrase that?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 29, 2018, 12:17:26 am »

There won't be a single magic system. It will be procedurally generated for each world.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #298 on: April 29, 2018, 02:12:20 am »

There won't be a single magic system. It will be procedurally generated for each world.
Is it mechanically variable? Thematic? A lot of the changes between one magic system in another won't mean much at all if there's no unifying themes that they gravitate towards, considering that in it's current iteration, dwarf fortress largely lacks driven intent in actions. Most interactions and syndromes don't actually do anything directly in worldgen (there's special tags to cause transmission of werebeast and vampire curse that operate only in worldgen, and completely independent of any blood syndromes.)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 29, 2018, 02:14:06 am »

The existing myth generator footage should give you a good idea as to what sort of themes Dwarf Fortress magic will have.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 389