Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850355 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #315 on: May 01, 2018, 05:04:12 am »

Wait, you said memory doesn't do much, I'm not just imagining things when it seems to help retain more of the "previously viewed but not visible" layout especially when deep in a catacomb or sewer, am I?
That's pretty much all it does, which is adventurer exclusive.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 01, 2018, 02:00:05 pm »

Yeah, there's a hard cap when you get too far screenwise to have those map chunks loaded but I remember regret after going with lower memory and rapidly getting lost under a town.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 02, 2018, 11:19:55 am »

With some degree of that, total conversion style mods should be able to side step myth gen entirely (this is also implicit in the notion of editors, so some form of it is definitely going in with those.)

That's what I'm hoping for, yeah. Total conversions are going to be rather painful to integrate into this unless you give modders some degree of control via raw methods.

Thanks for the answers, Toady.

I think what Random_Dragon meant is in regards to mods that have their own "lore" and so on that require specific tokens to always function a certain way, because otherwise they wouldn't make sense - so we'd require tokens restricting certain stuff, i.e so they don't use procedural creatures as pets, don't use magic outside of ones defined by the modder, or so their creation myths are always the same ones that are defined by the modder, rather than procedural ones per world. This is mostly flavor stuff, but I'd imagine there could be gameplay-related issues if more randomness is added that we cannot restrict in the raw files.

Gameplay concerns are a thing, yeah. There are a lot of ways I can see it going wrong.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 02, 2018, 12:14:18 pm »

Thanks for the answers, Toady! :)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 02, 2018, 01:52:28 pm »

Exactly the answer I was looking for, thank you for the clear and thorough response, Toady.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 04, 2018, 01:20:53 pm »

Can we expect new magical materials, like mithril or sapient pearwood, from which to make weapons? And other stuff I guess.

Will we ever be able to encrust our weapons with gems? Incorporating magical gems into sword pommels seems a pretty common trope in fantasy settings.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 04, 2018, 01:27:48 pm »

I expect if any magic materials are present they'll be randomly generated, like the rest of the magic system.

Also weapons can already be encrusted with gems, I believe. Not magical ones given those don't exist yet, but the leap wouldn't be hard to make given the current system.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 02:13:13 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #322 on: May 04, 2018, 05:05:43 pm »

Thanks for the answers, Toady!
What's the current rationale for travel (fast travel, caravans, and embarking) through mountains being blocked? I assumed initially it had to do with provisions, but deserts can be crossed with ease, and mountains do not frequently have difficult cliffs, or any less forageable resources than elsewhere (adventurers still get hungry and thirsty as they normally do off mountains, right?)
If the current behavior is unintended, is the direction you'd like to take in justifying the limitation (mountains generating such that it is a lot more difficult to traverse, high altitude hazards, etc) or just opening mountains to travel?

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 04, 2018, 07:28:33 pm »

Once temperatures are more meaningful and magic is in, will creatures otherwise unaffected by temperatures, out of sync with reality, beyond time, etc by impacted by temperatures below absolute zero? Just wondering since those temperatures are currently possible.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 05, 2018, 04:44:02 pm »

Now that the game has: "Side-stepped unit load failure, creating substitute unit upon irreversible corruption" - does this mean the "nemesis unit load failure" bug has been fixed?

I should add I have not actually had this bug happen to me, but it's been an issue for some people...
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 05, 2018, 04:50:43 pm »

Now that the game has: "Side-stepped unit load failure, creating substitute unit upon irreversible corruption" - does this mean the "nemesis unit load failure" bug has been fixed?

I should add I have not actually had this bug happen to me, but it's been an issue for some people...
Yes, that's the issue. Note that it's side-stepping the issue by unit recreation, which should stop it from crashing, but since the actual reason(s) for units to become corrupt in the first place is unknown the underlying cause hasn't been fixed. When Toady mentioned that the issue had been handled he said there would be a log indicating a problem was found.

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
  • Mysterious Transmissions
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 07, 2018, 04:07:10 pm »

Just a couple of questions:

1.  Is it possible with the magic world generation to create very strange worlds?  Like worlds that have no sun and are cast into eternal darkness or worlds comprised of floating islands over a sea of lava and FUN.  (or just some floating islands in general... because building a fortress that hangs under a floating island just sounds awesome)

2. Will we eventually see more complex reaction between civilizations and races.  Like people generating stereotypes and hatred for certain races and groups based on interactions?   Or say a race of elves living isolated for their entire history meeting a human adventure for the first time thus having no idea what a human is.

3.  Will language be expanded on like music and such.  Being randomly generated and having to be taught/learned?   It be interesting to see if one language rises to the top of the heap to become that worlds version of 'common'   Or if the myth/history generate makes a single world language that was created by a god for the people to use.    Also maybe species with langagues that can't be spoken or understood by others do some some biological reasion.
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

Golden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 07, 2018, 08:22:09 pm »

I was wondering if when demanding tribute from other civilizations there would be any way to set a preference level for certain items i.e. food, bars, animals etc. Do you think that this could ever be an option and if so would it be similar to the trade agreement menu?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 08, 2018, 03:20:34 am »

@Phoenix12:
1. Very strange worlds, yes, definitely (I believe Toady has used something akin to living as gut bacteria in giant intestines as an example). Given that floating islands is a common fantasy theme I would expect them to show up eventually in some form (flying/floating magical land forms may be closer than whole worlds of flying islands).

@Golden: Looks very much like a suggestion to me, and thus might fit better in the suggestions sub forum (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=5.0).

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 08, 2018, 03:46:34 am »

I was wondering if when demanding tribute from other civilizations there would be any way to set a preference level for certain items i.e. food, bars, animals etc. Do you think that this could ever be an option and if so would it be similar to the trade agreement menu?

This was addressed in the March FotF answers (snipped out the relevant parts) ^^

Quote from: Toady
...I haven't created a very specific Loot Menu yet.  I imagine this will happen, as people will want to direct the sorts of items returned.

Quote from: Toady
Quote from: Dwarfu
What form will tribute take and how will it arrive at the player’s fort?...
...Like the looting, there isn't a menu to make it specific yet, but we'll get to that in time.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 04:30:27 am by Manveru Taurënér »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 389