Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850878 times)

zakarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #420 on: June 03, 2018, 07:02:28 am »

What kind of interactions with Hillocks can we expect this time around? Can we exile a criminal to the hills (or even out of the kingdom)? Would the hills ask for squads to protect them during a siege, will them be affected by sieges in your fort? Will their citizens try to move to your fort?

FrankVill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 03, 2018, 08:49:37 am »

Recently I have been thinking about constellations and stars.
In Fortress mode there are some dwarfs that have a poor spatial sense and in Adventure mode character creation, Spacial Sense is one of the attributes that I can change. So, there is the posibility that npcs and/or our characters could get lost in the world. Have you considered to included a firmament in worldgen to help them knowing the north cardinal or something like this? I believe it would be great for boat release!

For other hand, in a lot of cultures, myths are represented and inmortalized by agrupations of stars, the constellations. Is it posible that one only firmament has various constellation systems, one for each religion? Or same constellation with different meaning by each culture?

And a last cuestion. Maybe a ritual would needs as a main condition the alineation of stars to invoque a great devil and our adventure party must stop them, to priests and worshipers, before the fatidic night. Is this scenario part of your plans?

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 03, 2018, 10:58:31 am »

In Fortress mode there are some dwarfs that have a poor spatial sense and in Adventure mode character creation, Spacial Sense is one of the attributes that I can change. So, there is the posibility that npcs and/or our characters could get lost in the world. Have you considered to included a firmament in worldgen to help them knowing the north cardinal or something like this? I believe it would be great for boat release!

For other hand, in a lot of cultures, myths are represented and inmortalized by agrupations of stars, the constellations. Is it posible that one only firmament has various constellation systems, one for each religion? Or same constellation with different meaning by each culture?

And a last cuestion. Maybe a ritual would needs as a main condition the alineation of stars to invoque a great devil and our adventure party must stop them, to priests and worshipers, before the fatidic night. Is this scenario part of your plans?

Welcome to the forums, FrankVill. To be completely fair, these sound less like questions regarding the current development cycle and more like suggestions, for which we already have a subforum.

Mechanics that affect how your character is (role)played had been taken into consideration before, but given that we already have the minimap the only sensible approach I find for that lack of Spatial Sense would be to turn it into a more limited feature (or basically, make it work like it formerly did).

I believe there are DFTalks where Toady has discussed the possibility to expand the skies beyond our current sun and moon. The Mythgen might help us go there, as there could be some worlds where not even starts are being genned. I understand it could be easy to implement the cultural impact of different stars in a way that resembles the different pantheons that exist in each culture, and one thing could be developed alongside the other to add flavor and significance to each race. We'll have to see what happens when we get there, and that could entail any game mechanic that could sprout from this (such as the demonic ritual you mentioned earlier).
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #423 on: June 03, 2018, 12:46:48 pm »

Technically speaking, what are the obstacles in the way of implementing a "world-gen unpause" button?

The world is already alive as you play, so i imagine its just speed, the reason it waits two weeks instead of a year when you create a new fort is because it would simply be hard to simulate it so fast that you wouldnt get bored waiting a year.

this wiki article is very out of date (he has moved more stuff into actual play since this was last edited, like artifact stuff,AI adventurers, etc.  but here you go)
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:World_activities
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #424 on: June 03, 2018, 12:48:23 pm »

Technically speaking, what are the obstacles in the way of implementing a "world-gen unpause" button?
limegreen if that's a question you want answered.
Although, there is a detailed technical reply somewhere which Toady gave previously. Just seeing if I can dig it out.

That is, if by "unpause" you mean "return to fast worldgen to skip several years". Worldgen is always "unpaused", it's kind of the whole point of DF.

--edit
OK, here's the answer from this thread, but it's based on something from a video as I thought.

Here's the video:
https://youtu.be/L67Xb4tgVv8
(It's all interesting, but restarting worldgen starts at about 1:01:00).

Here's my question about it:
Quote from: Shonai_Dweller
In your talk today, you started to talk about the major difficulties that you have to overcome and concluded that skipping another 1000 years after playing for a bit (returning to worldgen) is 'pretty hard'. I certainly think you're right in that lots of people want to see this someday, but is it something you think you're going to attempt one day or by 'hard' do you mean you just can't conceive of how you might even attempt such a thing?

Nah, we might try it.  The pure dumping of all the refined post w.g. data and going back to world gen isn't the hard part, it's more choosing which data to dump and doing that gracefully or in stages (I think I might have mentioned the problem of starting a 1000 year advance and then bailing out after 5 years, which would leave a shell of your former world if the data is dumped).  Well, the pure dump isn't *easy*, some care must be taken, but having some stark button like "I commit to a 100 year advance" is certainly in the realm of not-impossible things.

Did you ask that question before or after we got world activation?

Because with world activation we have a living world, but we still cant, say, skip a year in one sitting (unless you just play fortmode for a few years, that would work, though its like it "mollasses" world activation)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 12:50:46 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

FrankVill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 03, 2018, 01:54:36 pm »

Welcome to the forums, FrankVill. To be completely fair, these sound less like questions regarding the current development cycle and more like suggestions, for which we already have a subforum.

Mechanics that affect how your character is (role)played had been taken into consideration before, but given that we already have the minimap the only sensible approach I find for that lack of Spatial Sense would be to turn it into a more limited feature (or basically, make it work like it formerly did).

I believe there are DFTalks where Toady has discussed the possibility to expand the skies beyond our current sun and moon. The Mythgen might help us go there, as there could be some worlds where not even starts are being genned. I understand it could be easy to implement the cultural impact of different stars in a way that resembles the different pantheons that exist in each culture, and one thing could be developed alongside the other to add flavor and significance to each race. We'll have to see what happens when we get there, and that could entail any game mechanic that could sprout from this (such as the demonic ritual you mentioned earlier).

Thanks for your answer, Valtam. You're right, I made a suggestion instead of some questions. Mainly, I needed to know if all of those ideas were in their future development plan. I understand that it is not an imprescindible thing, althought I believe it could add a beautiful poetic sense to DF.
If nobody has suggest firmament yet, I will write about this the correspondent subforum.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 04:07:18 pm by FrankVill »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 03, 2018, 03:55:19 pm »

limegreen if that's a question you want answered.
Although, there is a detailed technical reply somewhere which Toady gave previously. Just seeing if I can dig it out.

That is, if by "unpause" you mean "return to fast worldgen to skip several years". Worldgen is always "unpaused", it's kind of the whole point of DF.

--edit
OK, here's the answer from this thread, but it's based on something from a video as I thought.

Here's the video:
https://youtu.be/L67Xb4tgVv8
(It's all interesting, but restarting worldgen starts at about 1:01:00).

Here's my question about it:
Quote from: Shonai_Dweller
In your talk today, you started to talk about the major difficulties that you have to overcome and concluded that skipping another 1000 years after playing for a bit (returning to worldgen) is 'pretty hard'. I certainly think you're right in that lots of people want to see this someday, but is it something you think you're going to attempt one day or by 'hard' do you mean you just can't conceive of how you might even attempt such a thing?

Nah, we might try it.  The pure dumping of all the refined post w.g. data and going back to world gen isn't the hard part, it's more choosing which data to dump and doing that gracefully or in stages (I think I might have mentioned the problem of starting a 1000 year advance and then bailing out after 5 years, which would leave a shell of your former world if the data is dumped).  Well, the pure dump isn't *easy*, some care must be taken, but having some stark button like "I commit to a 100 year advance" is certainly in the realm of not-impossible things.

Did you ask that question before or after we got world activation?
You see the 2017 video I linked to and the word "today" in my question? Well...
Watch the video, it's very informative. "Back to worldgen" is a challenge Toady wants to try one day but will be hard.
(Added the date to my reply in case someone reads it later).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 04:13:28 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

saharo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 04, 2018, 07:21:21 am »

I promise I'll shut my mouth about Ars Magica after this one

,d88b.d88b,
`Y8888888Y'
`Y888Y'
`Y'

:-X

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 06, 2018, 03:29:08 am »

1. How exactly does the FLEEING usage hint work? From what I can tell, it affects the full spectrum of "fear" reactions, so civilized creatures that see you walk nearby while, say, brandishing a weapon (They usually say something like "A weapon? That's alarming!" to signify this) or something similarly not overtly threatening, will use any FLEEING interactions they have, even if said interaction is, say, transforming into a giant demon or something crazy like that. Obviously the vanilla game didn't have plans for this considering the octopus's ink is the only interaction with the FLEEING tag as far as I know, but is this hint meant to be so trigger-happy?

2. What are the plans for the bandit forts and improved necromancer towers, if they are implemented? Will they function essentially as tiny civilizations, demanding tribute and starting wars and such?

3. Will we be getting any other adventure mode crafting functionalities prior to the Big Wait? Like tanning leather/making clothing/milking and butchering animals, stuff like that.

4. Will you be taking another look at semi/megabeasts during the villain arc? Currently if you add the [INTELLIGENT] and [POWER] tokens along with spheres, a megabeast can theoretically assume the role of a god-king in a given civilization. However it is kind of finicky and doesn't always work (as of now they tend to die off almost immediately after assuming rulership) for example. Will this be changed as villain roles become more fleshed out? It might be interesting to face off against an evil empire ruled by a Giant king.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:11:11 am by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

DoctorDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 06, 2018, 07:59:57 am »

Now that dwarfs dwell on memories, will they at some point get the ability to act on the memories and lessen/reinforce the effect of the worse/better ones?

E.g. a dwarf remembering a dead relative might visit the relative's tomb or memorial and reduce their stress, or a dwarf annoyed at having been without mugs for too long might take matters into their own hands and make a few himself. Perhaps in a similar way a dwarf might search out a few of their masterwork crafts to look at again or engrave their own fond memory on a wall without being told to.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #430 on: June 06, 2018, 05:46:03 pm »

1. How exactly does the FLEEING usage hint work? From what I can tell, it affects the full spectrum of "fear" reactions, so civilized creatures that see you walk nearby while, say, brandishing a weapon (They usually say something like "A weapon? That's alarming!" to signify this) or something similarly not overtly threatening, will use any FLEEING interactions they have, even if said interaction is, say, transforming into a giant demon or something crazy like that. Obviously the vanilla game didn't have plans for this considering the octopus's ink is the only interaction with the FLEEING tag as far as I know, but is this hint meant to be so trigger-happy?

2. What are the plans for the bandit forts and improved necromancer towers, if they are implemented? Will they function essentially as tiny civilizations, demanding tribute and starting wars and such?

3. Will we be getting any other adventure mode crafting functionalities prior to the Big Wait? Like tanning leather/making clothing/milking and butchering animals, stuff like that.

You can already butcher animals, build things however,  tanning and making clothing and stuff is planned, not sure if its planned before magic, but its planned in any case.
I am an indie game dev!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 09, 2018, 12:56:49 am »

I assume the release is only a couple of weeks away, but just in case:
Will new hillocks always respect the [SETTLEMENT_BIOME] of modded civs?

In contrast to regular dorfs, my Wild Dwarves would choose the swamp over the grassland in worldgen. Hoping for consistency there. :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 12:58:35 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 09, 2018, 04:16:33 am »

In contrast to regular dorfs, my Wild Dwarves would choose the swamp over the grassland in worldgen. Hoping for consistency there. :)
I'd imagine that this is what " (so they need land access, as well as correct biome squares nearby.) " refers to.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 09, 2018, 04:46:34 am »

I'd imagine that this is what " (so they need land access, as well as correct biome squares nearby.) " refers to.
Ah yes, that would be it! So long as it's not hard coded to assume vanilla dorfs. I assume not.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #434 on: June 09, 2018, 10:26:45 am »

EDIT: Oh gosh, I didn't see Toady already responded to the question I was gonna ask. My bad.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 04:51:22 pm by ZM5 »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 389