Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850071 times)

Lordfiscus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #435 on: June 11, 2018, 09:33:53 pm »

I think I heard somewhere magic will be a skill like combat or labor skills; will there be zombie/skeleton/thrall mages?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 11, 2018, 11:15:56 pm »

I think I heard somewhere magic will be a skill like combat or labor skills; will there be zombie/skeleton/thrall mages?
Anything related to magic will be procedurally generated. Depends on the world.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 11, 2018, 11:21:33 pm »

The know that procedural generation isn't magic, right? Just because things will be procgen doesn't mean we can expect absolutely anything at all to be possible. So it's a fair question.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 11, 2018, 11:35:58 pm »

The know that procedural generation isn't magic, right? Just because things will be procgen doesn't mean we can expect absolutely anything at all to be possible. So it's a fair question.
I know, he just worded it like he thought that magic would only be castable with a skill.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 11, 2018, 11:55:10 pm »

When I find some time I think I'll put together all the fotf answers on Mythgen together and share with everyone. It's great to have this monthly dialogue with Toady, but it's the same questions over and over and over again....

Skills is somewhere in a previous reply, yeah.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 12, 2018, 12:10:53 am »

There needs to be a stickied mythgen FAQ, titled "!!READ THIS BEFORE ASKING FUTURE OF THE FORTRESS QUESTIONS!!"

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 12, 2018, 10:08:14 am »

Now that we get hillocks to spring up around us (and emmiting tribute) will it be possible to (re)distribute stuff so they grow faster or build certain things?

Say if one place sends building materials as tribute you redistribute it to another hillock so they grow faster / Put up defenses or whatever.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 13, 2018, 01:16:23 pm »

Pretty sure tribute is still just random items, so I doubt it's currently possible to tell one village to produce a certain type of good and send it to another.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 13, 2018, 10:01:34 pm »

If I retire my adventurer in a hillocks linked to a player fortress (assuming I become a citizen first, of course) will the adventurer be available for...whatever it is hill dwarves are available to do when I unretire that fortress?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #444 on: June 14, 2018, 03:33:22 am »

If I retire my adventurer in a hillocks linked to a player fortress (assuming I become a citizen first, of course) will the adventurer be available for...whatever it is hill dwarves are available to do when I unretire that fortress?
I'm going to guess that it is unlikely, unless/until Toady implements adventurers presenting petitions to join sites, much like the petitions you receive in fort mode. That's the most closest at-hand feature that involves explicitly linking a unit to a site that I can think of right now, being developed in the nearer future if close. Does that sound accurate, Toady?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 14, 2018, 03:53:32 am »

I'm going to guess that it is unlikely, unless/until Toady implements adventurers presenting petitions to join sites, much like the petitions you receive in fort mode. That's the most closest at-hand feature that involves explicitly linking a unit to a site that I can think of right now, being developed in the nearer future if close. Does that sound accurate, Toady?
Devlog says "Civilian exchange" with hillocks is in 44.11 (probably). If an adventurer is a citizen of said hillocks, that makes him available for exchanges and later recruiting into armies and whatever other mechanics Toady's adding without need for anything new, doesn't it?

You do know adventurers can join sites right now as military and entertainers, right?  That's how you get to join player fortresses as a regular citizen right now.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:00:33 am by Shonai_Dweller »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 14, 2018, 04:04:07 am »

Have you thought about making a FOTF FAQ?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 14, 2018, 04:17:09 am »

Have you thought about making a FOTF FAQ?
In a way I can see why there isn't one. What Toady says this month is true, but he's free to change his mind any time and if the info is buried somewhere, it doesn't matter too much. Vague dev notes are much less stressful, I expect. Still, right now I'd like there to be a Mythgen Faq. Spending the next three years watching you tell people repeatedly that each world will be different might get annoying.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:21:47 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 15, 2018, 10:16:57 pm »

1. One thing listed under the benefits of being a wizard's apprentice is magical augmentation. What sort of magical augmentations will be possible besides learning magic? Could the player merge with a magical beast or get magic runes carved on their body?
2. Will obtaining magical mounts be a possibly option for the special companions a player could obtain as a wizard's apprentice?
3. What kinds of new specific opportunities might we be able to ask for as listed in the pre myth and magic update candidate feature list?
4. Will gaining civ-level entry positions unlock more options for things we can do in adventure mode if it is implemented before the myth and magic update and what kinds options do you think we could get if so?

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 16, 2018, 10:19:05 am »

With the new myths system will we see religious wars between civs, heresy and inquisition? Religious conflicts inside our fortresses. Official fortress religion and possible attack from our capital government in case if our point of view is different to theirs.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 389