Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851813 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #585 on: July 10, 2018, 10:01:14 pm »

Is the Golden Salve intended to be given some use during the magic stuff?
Probably depending on the world's settings.
Although probably no more so than any other substance. "This ritual requires drinking an entire barrel of gremlin sweat..."

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 10, 2018, 10:04:10 pm »

I'd LIKE to imagine that due to it's rarity it would be at least SOMEWHAT better than more common ritual ingredients

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 10, 2018, 10:11:37 pm »

I'd LIKE to imagine that due to it's rarity it would be at least SOMEWHAT better than more common ritual ingredients
I imagine gremlin sweat would be rarer than golden salve in worlds which feature it's use in mass destruction rituals and vice versa. Or perhaps not, but those worlds probably wouldn't make it past worldgen...

Well, let's see what Toady says.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 10, 2018, 10:17:59 pm »

I never said gremlin sweat would be more or less rare, I was responding to the claim of "probably no more so than any other substance"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 10, 2018, 10:29:34 pm »

I never said gremlin sweat would be more or less rare, I was responding to the claim of "probably no more so than any other substance"
Yes, and I said, it might depend on how rare golden salve is in any particular world (if the system were calculating backwards, "not much of a substance will exist = major player in mythgen rituals". Which doesn't seem as likely as "Major player in mythgen rituals = enforced rarity in worldgen". That's assuming rarity is considered at all).

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 11, 2018, 06:02:50 pm »

So, given it seems you can encounter non-questors taking the identity of criminal, and it seems they might not always actually have a criminal record, what even is the justification for them being labelled criminals?

I'm immediately thinking up the mental image of them calling themselves that a being basically some sort of fantasy-realm punk subculture thing.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 11, 2018, 07:35:09 pm »

So, given it seems you can encounter non-questors taking the identity of criminal, and it seems they might not always actually have a criminal record, what even is the justification for them being labelled criminals?

I'm immediately thinking up the mental image of them calling themselves that a being basically some sort of fantasy-realm punk subculture thing.

What do you mean by "non-questors"? Are you referring to the Fortess mode bug where ex-spies appear as migrants with their spy professions (peddler, beast hunter, criminal, etc) still in place?

Or Adventurer? I imagine criminals you encounter in the outside world are meant to be part of the criminal organizations. That they're not, is just an incomplete feature. Doesn't need "justification" beyond "this detail not yet fleshed out" like a huge number of other things.

(Yeah, I always imagine them as misguided youths. I'm a Criminal, respect me!)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 07:38:15 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 13, 2018, 04:48:26 pm »

I figured the reasoning was they're masquerading as a criminal to try to pick up rumors from the local gangs.

Urist Totallynotacop: "how do you do, fellow crooks. anyone steal any precious artifacts lately?"

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #593 on: July 14, 2018, 05:02:46 am »

If someone else knows the answer to this, that would be good, but:
Civilizations have an effective distance before they're not considered contacts for you in dwarf fortress mode. Does sending raiding parties extend their sights a bit when considering retaliation, or are you effectively immune to their influence at such distances?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 14, 2018, 05:07:28 am »

If someone else knows the answer to this, that would be good, but:
Civilizations have an effective distance before they're not considered contacts for you in dwarf fortress mode. Does sending raiding parties extend their sights a bit when considering retaliation, or are you effectively immune to their influence at such distances?
Raiding apparently negates any distance restrictions (and siege triggers). Mentioned by Toady in an fotf quite a while ago. Seems work from the little experimentation I've done.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #595 on: July 14, 2018, 05:15:13 am »

Nice! Should be grand for getting the attention of necromancer towers, then.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 15, 2018, 05:08:05 am »

This

You can now create as many characters as you want when you start adventure mode, and they'll start together as a party.

and

we are planning on adding full turn-based control mode for combat purposes, which you can turn on and off

is unexpected but awesome. The Baldur's Gate vibe I'm getting surely isn't entirely because of shoulder riding hamsters.  :D

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #597 on: July 15, 2018, 06:03:49 am »

Is formation-specific AI something that will be included in this pass with the party-scale adventure mode situation, or is that fiddling for another arc? That is to say, in the general sense of players and NPC commanders issuing orders to have their squads stand with them in combat in some particular manner.
Party based systems would be glorious to have formation-style combat with, but I can see reasons why it might not be presently considered.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 15, 2018, 06:38:53 am »

Will characters in a party created by the player have the same needs as a single character has currently, like food and water needs?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 15, 2018, 11:37:55 am »

With the ability to make multiple starting characters in adventure mode, will we still get a game over when our designated party leader dies, or can we continue playing with others in the party?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 389