Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850133 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #600 on: July 15, 2018, 01:53:10 pm »

Regarding the creation of adventurer parties, will the other created adventurers have the same restrictions in terms of available race?
What I mean is, if a civ only has dwarves available as adventurers, will we only be able to start dwarves from there, or will the "main" adventurer have the dwarf-only restriction, but other party members will be able to be humans, elves, etc. as mercs or friends of the main adventurer?

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 15, 2018, 02:43:12 pm »

1. In the monthly report you said you would be adding more to what villains do in the game such as vampire cults. In this villain fleshing out update will player adventurers be able to join vampire cults and do missions for them with the possible reward of getting to drink a vampire in the cult's blood?
2. Will player vampires be able to start their own vampire cults and recruit NPCs to serve them? Will they be able to promote their cultists to full vampires by offering them their blood in this villain fleshing out update?
3. Will bandit groups give player lieutenants quest types different than what a hearth person would get in this villain fleshing out update?
4. Finally will criminal groups finally do more than just hang out underground in this villain fleshing out update? Maybe steal some stuff at night?

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 15, 2018, 06:04:39 pm »

Will your adventurer be able to talk about how much they love their pets? How much can you interact with a pet? Can I show off my cool pet to someone I think will like it, and will vermin haters be like "ack, gross! get that outta my face?" Can I give my vermin pet stuff to chew on, put it in barrels, or put it down? Will we be able to put animals in wooden cages on our property now? If you made an animal whose younger forms were shoulder pet sized but as an adult is bigger than you, which of those sizes is it going to think about in terms of its mechanics? Can you tag a pet for both vermin and mounts?

Unrelated, what about pits and dark fortresses make them unsleepable?

I've modded my goblins to be more sociable but their new taverns still don't sound very inviting since you have to stumble through the trenches drunk to sleep. Although that is a very Dwarf Fortress experience.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 15, 2018, 07:14:18 pm »

If you made an animal whose younger forms were shoulder pet sized but as an adult is bigger than you, which of those sizes is it going to think about in terms of its mechanics? Can you tag a pet for both vermin and mounts?

Vermin are a completely different chunk of code than larger animals (though they do have defined features now).  So you cannot have an animal that is both a vermin and can be mounted.  I'm not sure if the shoulder-riding hamsters are vermin, or if they are small animals that can target humans as riding targets.  If the latter, then I suspect that you can have a creature that over its lifespan goes from cute, cuddly shoulder pet, to moderate sized attack dog, and finally ends up as a mount.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 16, 2018, 12:22:34 am »

Hamsters are vermin.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Orangefriedegg

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Shookith
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 16, 2018, 12:46:59 am »

Will you add fireworks, cannons, hand cannons, rocket arrows or other gun powder based inventions at any point?
Yes.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 16, 2018, 01:02:45 am »

Will you add fireworks, cannons, hand cannons, rocket arrows or other gun powder based inventions at any point?

If I recall, isn't the answer "I'm pretending that China didn't invent gunpowder well before the 1400s" basically? XP
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 16, 2018, 01:28:22 am »

If I recall, isn't the answer "I'm pretending that China didn't invent gunpowder well before the 1400s" basically? XP
No. That wasn't the impression he gave last time it was discussed (when ships were being talked about as I recall). Which was still kind of doubtful but, less so now that "vanilla" is a much looser context. Interested in seeing what the answer is now.

Don't actually recall any interview even years and years ago where he mistakenly gave the technological cut off date as a reason for not wanting cannon sieges. You'd have to post a link to that one (I expect Zach's corrected him by now though).

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 16, 2018, 03:09:24 am »

In the upcoming adventure mode update can you throw vermin pets as weapons like you can with the normal vermin you find with 'L'ook?
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 16, 2018, 03:18:21 am »

In the upcoming adventure mode update can you throw vermin pets as weapons like you can with the normal vermin you find with 'L'ook?
You can throw ANY item, so if they are items, yes. You can also use any item as a melee weapon. So you can murder someone with a hamster.

DwarfToys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 16, 2018, 05:03:38 am »

Unless the various posts & wiki aren't up to date, doesn't the ability to get a minecart to somewhere around ~3.5MJ of kinetic energy eliminate the need for gunpowder during sieges? 

These ended up being questions with random braindumps attached.  Don't mind that, I enjoy rambling.

1.  After magic, etc, are there plans for technological advancement over time? 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2.  A much simpler one...  Gunpowder brings a lot of other kinds of fun, but just reading about history, what about these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeating_crossbow, not necessarily with the poison? 

They're not a massive technological leap from the complex mechanisms + crossbows the dwarves already have, and don't really do much except make citizens either more or less of a liability during a siege.  Hand them out and hope they help and don't start shooting other dwarves for fun, or just let the military use them as a shorter distance but faster-firing crossbow... 

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 16, 2018, 05:56:17 am »

No. Technological progress will be forever locked in the 1400s or lower in some cases. I had read somewhere that after DF v1.0 there will be increased modding support basically to the level of modifying the source, though. Magitek is probably possible, though.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 05:58:16 am by KittyTac »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 16, 2018, 06:18:40 am »

No. Technological progress will be forever locked in the 1400s or lower in some cases. I had read somewhere that after DF v1.0 there will be increased modding support basically to the level of modifying the source, though. Magitek is probably possible, though.
Hmm. If technological advancements were locked in place there wouldn't be a need for scholars and the as yet mostly unused technical knowledge system. 1400 (ish, it is fantasy after all) seems to be the limit to the technological advancements, not the start line.

Once blowing stuff up magically becomes a regular fun way to pass the time, I imagine the stance on blowing stuff up mechanically/chemically will become a bit more relaxed. Especially in mundane worlds.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 06:22:04 am by Shonai_Dweller »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 16, 2018, 06:58:25 am »

Hmm. If technological advancements were locked in place there wouldn't be a need for scholars and the as yet mostly unused technical knowledge system. 1400 (ish, it is fantasy after all) seems to be the limit to the technological advancements, not the start line.

Once blowing stuff up magically becomes a regular fun way to pass the time, I imagine the stance on blowing stuff up mechanically/chemically will become a bit more relaxed. Especially in mundane worlds.
Hence why I said "lower in some cases". I knew that it's the end limit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 16, 2018, 07:06:47 am »

Hence why I said "lower in some cases". I knew that it's the end limit.
"Forever locked" implies that lower tech civs won't be able to advance over time which, I think, isn't the case. The whole masterplan when it comes to tech is a bit vague at the moment though.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 389