Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850410 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #615 on: July 16, 2018, 07:11:51 am »

What about animal-people, if they become "small civs" rather than wild animals? They probably won't advance beyond stone-age.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 16, 2018, 08:39:08 am »

Toady, will this upcoming version have much more inclusion of pets for other NPC's to be using? ((like soldiers & groups dispatched from sites riding upon horses, or people's personal pets becoming involved in fights with their masters))

I can wait for further development notes but ill go back and revise my questions if any new information comes up, its all good stuff and im sure many people will be happy with the prospect of perfectly optimising their d20 dwarf fortress adventurer squad.

Wouldnt be suprised if it started a GM lead DF D&D community story subgenre (with the usually quite detailed artwork and narration that goes into DF community stories usually like acclaimed titles of Mong-Kima, Bravemule & the infamous renditions of Boatmurdered amongst many others)

DwarfToys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 16, 2018, 01:53:58 pm »

No. Technological progress will be forever locked in the 1400s or lower in some cases. I had read somewhere that after DF v1.0 there will be increased modding support basically to the level of modifying the source, though. Magitek is probably possible, though.
Hmm. If technological advancements were locked in place there wouldn't be a need for scholars and the as yet mostly unused technical knowledge system. 1400 (ish, it is fantasy after all) seems to be the limit to the technological advancements, not the start line.

Once blowing stuff up magically becomes a regular fun way to pass the time, I imagine the stance on blowing stuff up mechanically/chemically will become a bit more relaxed. Especially in mundane worlds.
Hence why I said "lower in some cases". I knew that it's the end limit.
"Forever locked" implies that lower tech civs won't be able to advance over time which, I think, isn't the case. The whole masterplan when it comes to tech is a bit vague at the moment though.

The technical knowledge / books and libraries are the main reason I was wondering.  I'm not thinking of some silly RTS style tech-rush type thing of course, just eventual small random developments in the world over hundreds of years of world time.  Even if scientific knowledge, base technology, etc stayed at the same level they were at the beginning of the world, you'd expect new, random, and probably useless inventions to pop up using existing tech levels based on sheer "let's see what this does" merit.

If they do pop up during a player fortress, random generation would ensure most of them would be entirely useless:

Memo to Urist McManager, Malachite 278
Urist McScholar has invented a mechanical wax opal menacing spike applicator (for bolts)!  Patent pending.

Manager:  For Armok's sake, what is it this time...  Somebody get Urist McScholar in here!
Scholar stumbles in. 
Manager:  What... (waves paper) exactly is this?
Scholar:  Well, it's a wax opal spike applicator. 
Manager:  What does it do exactly?
Scholar:  You... simply hook it up to a lever using mechanisms.  Then hook that up to powered gears.  Then load a stack of bolts into it.  Then load wax opals in here.  Then a dwarf needs to walk over and pull this lever, and supervise the device for 8 hours until the entire stack of bolts menaces with spikes of wax opals!
Manager: You're aware that we do not, in fact, have any wax opals, and haven't found any during exploratory digging?
Scholar:  Well, the human that showed up had an interesting but poorly written treatise on...
Manager:  And the device has to be hooked up to a lever with mechanisms?
Scholar:  Well yes sir, how would it turn on without a lever?
Manager:  Um well, and it has to be powered with gears, while the dwarf does what exactly?
Scholar:  He watches sir.  The device has been known to jam sometimes and requires supervision to clear...
Manager:  AND...  McScholar, are you aware that all three of our jewelers are capable of putting menacing spikes of, and this is important, cut stones we actually have access to on anything within a fraction of the time this device takes?
Scholar:  Well yes sir, but it saves labor! Those dwarves can be doing something else and let the machine do the work!
Manager:  Doing something else, like... watching the machine?
Scholar:  Exactly, sir!  Much less work.
Manager:  McScholar, get the hell out of here. 

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 16, 2018, 04:09:36 pm »

Toady, will this upcoming version have much more inclusion of pets for other NPC's to be using? ((like soldiers & groups dispatched from sites riding upon horses, or people's personal pets becoming involved in fights with their masters))
Raiders take their pets with them right now and they get involved in the fighting. And you can be invaded by mounted troops. So, your question is about adding the ability to send mounted raiders?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 16, 2018, 08:44:21 pm »

Hi!

In fort mode, I've noticed that the legendary blue of a peasant and legendary magenta of a noble aren't used as non-legendary "base" colors for any other civilian profession (though they are used for high level sword- and hammerdwarves).  Do you have plans for these colors for new or improved civilian classes in the future?

If not, I'm off to the suggestion forum.

- Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:26:27 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 16, 2018, 10:08:28 pm »

Hi!

In fort mode, I've noticed that the legendary blue of a peasant and legendary purple of a noble aren't used as non-legendary "base" colors for any other civilian profession (though they are used for high level sword- and hammerdwarves).  Do you have plans for these colors for new or improved civilian classes in the future?

Isn't purple used by traders? (And scholars, etc., but those are sort of like nobles.)

Edit: Unless you meant bright magenta, specifically.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:12:58 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 16, 2018, 10:10:40 pm »

Hi!

In fort mode, I've noticed that the legendary blue of a peasant and legendary purple of a noble aren't used as non-legendary "base" colors for any other civilian profession (though they are used for high level sword- and hammerdwarves).  Do you have plans for these colors for new or improved civilian classes in the future?

Isn't purple used by traders? (And scholars, etc., but those are sort of like nobles.)
They are dark purple AFAIK.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 16, 2018, 10:25:57 pm »

Hi!

They are dark purple AFAIK.

The dark purple is used for doctors, scholars, entertainers and all nobles.  The bright magenta (which I called "legendary purple") is used only for hammer lords or blinking legendaries of the aforementioned list, and does not have a civilian job-set, as far as I can tell.

Edit: I've modified the original question to read "magenta" instead of "purple", since that's what I meant.

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 17, 2018, 04:15:54 am »

You mention that only members of your starting party will be directly controllable in the upcoming adventurer additions (besides in turn based combat, presumably). What's stopping you from allowing direct control of histfigs who join your party later? Is it just the interactions you'd have to add ('Hi Dad!'), or is there something complex you need to do before we can take control of the destinies of 'real people'?

Oh, just noticed "equipment pages". That's gorlak sized helmets without the need to make them in a fortress first, right? Woot!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 06:10:12 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 18, 2018, 12:29:16 pm »

Hi!

In fort mode, I've noticed that the legendary blue of a peasant and legendary magenta of a noble aren't used as non-legendary "base" colors for any other civilian profession (though they are used for high level sword- and hammerdwarves).  Do you have plans for these colors for new or improved civilian classes in the future?

- Dame de la Licorne

Magenta is the default color for the monarch, and the light blue is the default color for the monarch's consort - in theory at least. That being said, I think the consort color coding hasn't actually been the in the game for a long while but it's still in one of the questionmark menus.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 18, 2018, 10:21:34 pm »

Would you consider releasing a version of your standalone myth generator prototype, like you showed off at GDC? I imagine that people would appreciate something to check out during the Big Wait.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 19, 2018, 01:52:14 am »

Raiders take their pets with them right now and they get involved in the fighting. And you can be invaded by mounted troops. So, your question is about adding the ability to send mounted raiders?

Not particularly, its about histfigures already being mounted upon animals or surrounded by war animals like bandits in the world already with a clear relation of ownership more than a question about mounted raiding, which toady has replied to answers to in the past in respects for being mounted upon animals having certain advantages over difficult terrain etc.

DudeeDew

• Bay Watcher
  • Creature — Human Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 19, 2018, 03:39:34 am »

I'd like to know about these two things (being actually elements of the same system, I guess?):
1) Better lineage system and name generation. So that families will be more distinguishable, family members in the world trying to live in the same buildings, and, of course, all of them having same last name. Haven't seen this in planned updates, will it be implemented at some point?
2) Will it be possible to have some expanded family-level interaction? For example, greedy heirs giving you quests to assassinate the head of the family (as a subgroup of assassination quests mentioned in /dev), or possibility to gain influence with some people by helping their relatives (since losing it so that relatives seek revenge is already mentioned in /dev). Or even having a wife (or one-night stay) in adventure mode, birthing your adventurer's kid who is playable after growing up?

LATE EDIT: just realized I've completely forgotten another question I had in mind.
3) How deep will the disguise system be? Will there be some kind of special makeup items like fake beards and moustaches, some magical illusions and all that?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 04:22:07 am by DudeeDew »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 19, 2018, 05:59:30 am »

I'd like to know about these two things (being actually elements of the same system, I guess?):
1) Better lineage system and name generation. So that families will be more distinguishable, family members in the world trying to live in the same buildings, and, of course, all of them having same last name. Haven't seen this in planned updates, will it be implemented at some point?
2) Will it be possible to have some expanded family-level interaction? For example, greedy heirs giving you quests to assassinate the head of the family (as a subgroup of assassination quests mentioned in /dev), or possibility to gain influence with some people by helping their relatives (since losing it so that relatives seek revenge is already mentioned in /dev). Or even having a wife (or one-night stay) in adventure mode, birthing your adventurer's kid who is playable after growing up?

Settling down and playing your grown up kids is in the dev notes somewhere. There are long threads in the suggestions forums discussing families and naming conventions.

DudeeDew

• Bay Watcher
  • Creature — Human Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 19, 2018, 09:56:15 am »

Settling down and playing your grown up kids is in the dev notes somewhere.
If it is, it's not in public notes then. Double checked that searching by keywords.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 389