Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850514 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #660 on: July 26, 2018, 04:21:33 pm »

I also feel this way. I think this is a big step ahead.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 26, 2018, 11:50:34 pm »

When creating multiple characters for Adventure mode will they have initial relationships between themselves similar to a Fortress mode starting 7? If so, will it be random, fixed, or customizable*?

*for example create A, B and C, choose to set B as friend of A and C but make grudge between A and C for role-play purposes

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 27, 2018, 12:41:05 am »

So, there's a bug, or perhaps unintended 'feature' right now in which hist-fig citizens of your civ are out working as spies when they get migrated to your fortress (often dragged along by a family member). They retain their fake name and profession (dead give away as no other migrants have visitor types like peddler, criminal, etc) but otherwise act normally (but annoyingly retain their fake profession name even when in the military).

So, I'm just wondering what exactly is the "correct" behavior for these guys. Are they not meant to migrate in? Or should they revert to their original names? Or are they being cautious and are actually meant to retain their fake identities?

These poor dorfs are already highly suspicious and have no doubt succumbed to magma accidents by the hundreds so far. It's only going to get worse for them when villains start plotting and you have to chain someone up for interrogation.

For reference: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10848

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 28, 2018, 11:46:41 am »

Have you been able to do any long-term testing on stress effects in 44.12?  I haven't seen a lot of bug reports on Mantis, but negative effects are still vastly overpowering positive ones, in addition to friendship-forming being exceedingly difficult.  The most specific bug I know of is a Dorf's favorite food must be that specific cut (pig heart vs. pig meat).  The 'lack of decent meals' thought occurs regardless of food quality, depending entirely on favorite ingredient.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 02:01:41 pm by Immortal-D »

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 28, 2018, 12:48:50 pm »

Have you been able to do any long-term testing on stress effects in 44.12?  I haven't seen a lot of bug reports on Mantis, but negative effects are still vastly overpowering positive ones, in addition to friendship-forming being exceedingly difficult.  The most specific bug I know of is a Dorf's favorite food must be that specific cut (pig heart vs. pig meat).  The 'lack of decent meals' thought occurs regardless of food quality, depending entirely on favorite ingredient.
slight oversight there - the colour should preferably be like this and not your apparent pick, if attention from the Toad is what you're looking for.   

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 28, 2018, 01:58:53 pm »

The most specific bug I know of is a Dorf's favorite food must be that specific cut (pig heart vs. pig meat).  The 'lack of decent meals' thought occurs regardless of food quality, depending entirely on favorite ingredient.
It's been this way as long as I can remember.  The 'bug' report is new but the shortcoming it points to (at least as I see it - it could also be intentional  :) ) is that the favoured ingredient is not properly/completely reported in thoughts and preferences. Not a general problem with the mechanic of giving positive meal thoughts; although unsatisfiable preferences do rear their head here as elsewhere.  (The pathfinding involved seems a little curious though...http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171322.msg7808575#msg7808575.)  The strength of the happiness is directly related to the quality of the meal - it is just that with no preferred ingredient it is multiplied by zero.  ;)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 28, 2018, 02:03:12 pm »

slight oversight there - the colour should preferably be like this and not your apparent pick, if attention from the Toad is what you're looking for.
Graci :)
The most specific bug I know of is a Dorf's favorite food must be that specific cut (pig heart vs. pig meat).  The 'lack of decent meals' thought occurs regardless of food quality, depending entirely on favorite ingredient.
It's been this way as long as I can remember.  The 'bug' report is new but the shortcoming it points to (at least as I see it - it could also be intentional  :) ) is that the favoured ingredient is not properly/completely reported in thoughts and preferences. Not a general problem with the mechanic of giving positive meal thoughts; although unsatisfiable preferences do rear their head here as elsewhere.  (The pathfinding involved seems a little curious though...http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171322.msg7808575#msg7808575.)  The strength of the happiness is directly related to the quality of the meal - it is just that with no preferred ingredient it is multiplied by zero.  ;)
Interesting.  That's the only specific one that I know of, though I think my original query stands.

GenericUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 28, 2018, 08:54:40 pm »

1) If a spy were to say, have an ‘unfourtunate accident’, would there be any ramifications, i.e. someone being sent to find out what happened or friends trying to get revenge on the fort?

2) Will you be able to send spies to find news about the fate of your squads, if they don’t return?

3) Would a spy (or network) be able to influence an election, or the choosing of a monarch, if they hold enough sway?

4) Would spies be able to sabotage relations, or ‘convince’ two cives to fight each other?

5) Will the punishment for spies be subject to civ ethics on Treason if the crime were severe enough?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 29, 2018, 01:02:39 am »

With mounted adventurers, are we close to seeing fortress dwarves mount up on whatever's handy to meet their mounted invaders in a glorious clash? Or is that still a way off?

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 29, 2018, 03:45:21 am »

Squeezing in a sneaky question before the end of the month!

Are you considering using the 'mount control' mechanics in possessions by poltergeists / deities or even charm spells?
Perhaps a comparison between willpowers to determine whether a command is followed or not.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 29, 2018, 03:46:20 am »

So hyped about mounts.  :D

"So if the mount is having an important issue of some kind, like being terrified, it won't necessarily follow your command, though they are pretty good about obeying."
Does how good the mount is at obeying depend on the rider's and/or the mount's skill, or is it more simple than that? Are there rider/mount skills or trust levels or anything?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 03:57:26 am by Death Dragon »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 29, 2018, 07:35:18 am »

Q: Will mounts be required to be assigned war animals, pets or (in fortress mode) will they be able to be used interchangebly with any fortress member rather than a specific individual?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 08:14:12 am by FantasticDorf »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 29, 2018, 07:44:15 am »

Will flying mounts be supported?

Will mounts in combat attack enemies indepedently of its rider?

Will bears be riddable by dwarves ?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 29, 2018, 08:10:35 am »

Will flying mounts be supported?

Will mounts in combat attack enemies indepedently of its rider?

Will bears be riddable by dwarves ?

Many of these questions can be answered relatively easily, bears (or animals in general) with [MOUNT_EXOTIC] or [MOUNT] would be egible for riding, as do other civs ride them when coming to siege your fortress. There are good number of animals that also fly (like giant bats as a easy dwarf example) that have those [MOUNT] tags.

If memory serves, if you make a mount in arena mode, they do attack independently but they will follow the movement of the rider i think.

Harpadarpa.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 29, 2018, 09:25:37 am »

Since you've mentioned that mounts will wander around without direct input from the player, will we get the ability to tie them to trees and buildings and such so that we don't lose them?
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 389