Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850617 times)

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #675 on: July 29, 2018, 09:28:17 am »

Exciting news and reports!

1. Are mounts going to be chosen from the pool of a specific civ during adventurer creation? Say, an elf from a human civ can only access horses while an elf from an actual elven civ will get access to the whole zoo. Same with dwarves and whatever they have tamed so far.

2. Horses are known for being rather shy and skittish, so is proper war training going to be taken into account when leading them into battle?

3. Do horses or pets in general count as companions for purposes of bogeyman appearance?
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 29, 2018, 11:20:47 am »

Are we going to see some kind of expansion of diplomacy now that we have messengers? Or will that wait until things like status, law, etc. are adressed? In the latter case, what would be the reasons?

I'm just thinking that now that we can contact other civs and sites militarily, it makes sense to be able to do so in peaceful manners too (requesting peace deals, proposing trade agreements or whatever could fit right now), but maybe it's not that easy to implement/it's not worth the work right now.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 02:58:28 pm by Tinnucorch »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 29, 2018, 01:41:42 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I really forgot about [MOUNT_EXOTIC]. However I guess it would entail some extra work from Toady to make them behave properly, as he specifically wrote about horses.

KingEdwarf3890

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 29, 2018, 03:19:42 pm »

So with the new adventurer starting party system, I have to wonder how things that force hostility between party members would work between members of the starting party. For example, party member A is a werelion and party member B is a vampire. If A in human form walked in on B during a feeding, would they be hostile to one another? And if so, could you still switch control between them? Same goes if they were out adventuring together and the full moon rose causing A to lion out on B. Or, alternatively, what if the player(playing as one of the two) decided to attack the other? I'm just throwing this out there cause I really like the idea for the new system but want to make sure it won't bug out at times like this.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 03:22:21 pm by KingEdwarf3890 »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 29, 2018, 03:28:35 pm »

And with flying mounts we have solved the age old question how the gobs are going around walls :P

Would a mountlike system work for Guarddoggos and such too? I mean you put a thought into theyr head anyway and their training (Skill) could augment these thoughts. So a trained Warhorse could be less fearfull then a basic working horse - a war or guard dog more cautious towards starngers etc.

Also with working mounts would it be possible to get a 3 item chain to utilize the strength of those Animals in fort? A horse being guided by a dworf while pulling a lorry?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: July 29, 2018, 04:04:57 pm »

Will all members of a starting party have to come from the same entity or will multicultural starting parties be possible?
If I recruit one of my former adventurers will I be able to switch control to them without retiring?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 29, 2018, 04:43:57 pm »

Hilarious bug speculation: when making attacks during mounted combat, the target gets the total of mount and rider momentum and the rider gets the opposite momentum.  Two body explosions later, the horse sits around for a bit and then ambles off in search of food.

Also, I love that the eventual "command my allies" function will treat them like horses.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Slozgo Luzma

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP Emeg Orglebeamed, the Domination of Castles
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 29, 2018, 05:01:18 pm »

I hope that I'm not repeating anyone's questions (I had a few others that were asked above) but:

1) You mentioned that the player's velocity while riding a mount will be added to their attacks: will an equal bonus be applied by enemies who are, say, stabbing their pike at the horseman? Moreover, are the relative velocities of the attacker and target taken into account?

2) Will we be able to define interpersonal relationships between adventurers? For instance can our party consist of sibling, parent and child, spouses, or distant cousins? Friends or bitter enemies? By extension will adventurers have to belong to the same entity?

3) Currently, firing a bow or xbow prevents a player from doing anything for several rounds (usually resulting in them getting chopped to pieces). Will our new steeds continue to move while their riders shoot from horseback? Or will they also pause and get chopped to pieces?

4) Do you envision pets being treated more like companions in the current game who follow you around and act almost entirely on their own? Or more like members of your party that you can partially or directly control?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 07:55:04 pm by Slozgo Luzma »

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 29, 2018, 05:11:59 pm »

Will mounts act like buddies, protecting us from bogeymen?

Will we be able to ride animated undead animals, even if they haven't been tamed?

Speaking of which, will you be adding adventure mode taming alongside the ability to ride mounts?

Can mounts jump? IIRC, animal men can't, so not sure if mounts can.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 29, 2018, 05:33:47 pm »

Currently, firing a bow or xbow prevents a player from doing anything for several rounds (usually resulting in them getting chopped to pieces). Will our new steeds continue to move while their riders shoot from horseback? Or will they also pause and get chopped to pieces?

And indeed, if I gallop full speed up to an enemy and take a swipe at them, will my horse just stop suddenly, or will it carry on moving past the enemy?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 05:36:32 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 29, 2018, 05:39:29 pm »

If your mount will keep moving intelligently while you reload after firing a weapon, I foresee horse archers being OP. Just as things should be~
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 29, 2018, 06:44:38 pm »

Since you've mentioned that mounts will wander around without direct input from the player, will we get the ability to tie them to trees and buildings and such so that we don't lose them?
Well, they can't open doors, so you could build a stable or use someone's house.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

KingEdwarf3890

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: July 29, 2018, 08:57:44 pm »

Two more questions.
1. Will the "command your allies" feature allow you to properly equip companions without exploiting the trade screen? (IE "Hey Urist, equip that steel short sword I gave you!")
2. Will the ability to command allies extend to zombies created with Necromancy?

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: July 30, 2018, 03:39:53 am »

If your mount will keep moving intelligently while you reload after firing a weapon, I foresee horse archers being OP. Just as things should be~
I bet the AI would just make them run straight into the enemies instead of backing off and staying at range. Unless maybe if the work on the new tactical combat orders stuff for companions leads Toady to implement a "stay at range" order and we could assign that to military squads in fort mode. Would be great.

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
  • 5crownik007 cancels Homework, playing Dwarf Fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 30, 2018, 05:18:17 am »

Will riding a mount give any combat advantages? In the Mount & Blade games, riding your mount gives speed to your weapon swing and bonuses to your attack damage, as well as making yourself difficult to hit by infantry. Will there be a mount-riding skill where if your skill is too low, your mount may turn tail and run in combat?
https://i.gyazo.com/a2e73b4fe5612640aacbe46cb4c78740.gif
The Soviet invasion of the Reich fort in arena. Soviets won despite... that.
---------------------------
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 389