Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850823 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #690 on: July 30, 2018, 06:58:20 am »

Will riding a mount give any combat advantages? In the Mount & Blade games, riding your mount gives speed to your weapon swing and bonuses to your attack damage, as well as making yourself difficult to hit by infantry. Will there be a mount-riding skill where if your skill is too low, your mount may turn tail and run in combat?

Toady has stated in the devlog that the mount's increased speed should be transferred to the weapon during ride-by attacks. So, there's at least that.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 30, 2018, 07:53:35 am »

Will riding a mount give any combat advantages? In the Mount & Blade games, riding your mount gives speed to your weapon swing and bonuses to your attack damage, as well as making yourself difficult to hit by infantry. Will there be a mount-riding skill where if your skill is too low, your mount may turn tail and run in combat?

It should have a height advantage as well, when DF gets around it.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 30, 2018, 08:19:07 am »

Toady has stated in the devlog that the mount's increased speed should be transferred to the weapon during ride-by attacks. So, there's at least that.

Oh boy, can't wait to get kneecapped by a goblin riding a cheetah at high speeds.

1. Will it be possible to designate certain body parts to be where magic originates on a person/creature via modding? So say, for instance, an earthbender dwarf with the magic originating from their hands and feet.

2. Also are the gods/deities/primordials/titans/ect going to be generated as physical beings too? Like, an actual being moving around physically in the world or on one of the plains and is capable of being killed and can switch between planes, ect.

3. Will Divine Metals actually have any divine properties and will they be able to be found in their related sphere Biome (if Biomes related on Spheres is actually happening)?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 07:22:06 pm by Unknown72 »
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

GenericUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 30, 2018, 08:57:08 am »

1. If you try to hop onto a untamed mount, will they throw you off?
2. Will we be able to tame/train wild animals in the near future, for the purpose of pets or mounts?
3. Will we be able to do “Hang on and try to calm” moves on spooked mounts?
4. Will we be able to knock others off a mount, or otherwise steal one?
5. If we get thrown off a mount, will we just magically appear unharmed on the ground, or will we actually be thrown?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 30, 2018, 09:13:04 am »

Thinking about it, a riding skill really should be implemented. It is a trained ability after all. And different classes of animals should have their own riding skills as well. Riding a dragon isnt the same as riding a horse.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:14:43 am by thvaz »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 30, 2018, 04:48:05 pm »

Thats entirely possible, but we might not get it on the first release with riding here. Like weve got per-species domestication status and individual animal training, plus procedural skill tracking for things like poetry, so all thats in place to be reused on animal riding skill success.

Additional questions of my own
With riding, do we get intentionally jumping on and holding onto other, larger creatures? Can i grab a dragon and hold on for dear life while trying to stab it?
Like, you can ride a creature as a mount, but can i pounce on wild horses and shiv them? Would they be able to shake me off or attack me?

Additionally, is it possible to attack your mount while making a targetted attack? If i accidentally shank my horse, will it immediately become hostile? Is there any way i can calm down an unintelligent mount?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 30, 2018, 09:53:32 pm »

Oh boy, can't wait to get kneecapped by a goblin riding a cheetah at high speeds.

1. Will it be possible to designate certain body parts to be where magic originates on a person/creature via modding? So say, for instance, an earthbender dwarf with the magic originating from their hands and feet.

2. Also are the gods/deities/primordials/titans/ect going to be generated as physical beings too? Like, an actual being moving around physically in the world or on one of the plains and is capable of being killed and can switch between planes, ect.

3. Will Divine Metals actually have any divine properties and will they be able to be found in their related sphere Biome (if Biomes related on Spheres is actually happening)?
2 and 3 would depend on the world, but they sound quite basic, so likely yes. 1 is magic customizability, which is coming in the second myth release.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 30, 2018, 10:05:10 pm »

2 and 3 would depend on the world, but they sound quite basic, so likely yes. 1 is magic customizability, which is coming in the second myth release.

Hm, so would it be possible to mod magic and have it a specific way for various mods (like MLP mods, or Avatar mods or Skyrim mods, ect?)
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 30, 2018, 10:07:24 pm »

Pretty sure that nobody knows how the features in the first and following magic releases will be divided except (possibly) Toady right now.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 30, 2018, 10:12:16 pm »

Pretty sure that nobody knows how the features in the first and following magic releases will be divided except (possibly) Toady right now.
We just know that the magic editor will likely be in the second arc.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: July 30, 2018, 10:13:03 pm »

Hm, so would it be possible to mod magic and have it a specific way for various mods (like MLP mods, or Avatar mods or Skyrim mods, ect?)
Yes, in the second arc, so 4 years-ish later.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 30, 2018, 10:16:19 pm »

We can guess that. The only statement Toady made on the matter (that I recall) was that it was interesting enough to possibly make the first release. Besides, the editor isn't the same as modding. Toady reassured everyone about modding last month, didn't he?

Very specific editing (like the above example) would probably need the fixed editor, but I imagine modding normally could achieve a lot, as it does now.

Quote from: Fatace
1. When the new Magic System comes out, will it be customiseable for modders to add other magic related things with raws?

Toady:
1. Yeah.  The backbone of the current magic system, the interactions, are in the raws now, and that's not going to change.  The procedural stuff will also be text-file directed.  As with the procedural creatures, certain specific new cases (who knows which) might remain hard-coded as they grow into maturity, but we're intentionally trying to keep that from happening wherever possible, making sure everything 'vanilla' can be shut off (which is a requirement for the no-magic slider position at the very least), and thinking about formats which allow people to inject their own guiding data into the procedures with varying degrees of vagueness.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 10:30:25 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 30, 2018, 10:41:19 pm »

We can guess that. The only statement Toady made on the matter (that I recall) was that it was interesting enough to possibly make the first release. Besides, the editor isn't the same as modding. Toady reassured everyone about modding last month, didn't he?

Very specific editing (like the above example) would probably need the fixed editor, but I imagine modding normally could achieve a lot, as it does now.

1. When the new Magic System comes out, will it be customiseable for modders to add other magic related things with raws?

Toady:
1. Yeah.  The backbone of the current magic system, the interactions, are in the raws now, and that's not going to change.  The procedural stuff will also be text-file directed.  As with the procedural creatures, certain specific new cases (who knows which) might remain hard-coded as they grow into maturity, but we're intentionally trying to keep that from happening wherever possible, making sure everything 'vanilla' can be shut off (which is a requirement for the no-magic slider position at the very least), and thinking about formats which allow people to inject their own guiding data into the procedures with varying degrees of vagueness.

Yea this was what I was thinking of. I just thought he had said something in between then and now. I guess the better question would To what extent will we be able to Mod the Magic and Myth systems?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 30, 2018, 10:52:47 pm »

Toady:

Yea this was what I was thinking of. I just thought he had said something in between then and now. I guess the better question would To what extent will we be able to Mod the Magic and Myth systems?
Well, unless anything's changed in the past 30 days, that's your answer there, just above your question. You should also be able to add objects to the myth generator like comets and whatever, like in the prototype. Not sure what kind of impact they can have beyond textual. I expect you can link them to spheres and stuff.

Bimbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 31, 2018, 02:10:35 am »

I would like to just reiterate the fact that having a prototype build of the myth generator available for download would be fantastic. Since seeing the GDC presentation two years ago, all I have wanted to do was find a way to get a hold of it.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 389