Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850052 times)

SpeardwarfErith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #735 on: August 04, 2018, 08:45:24 am »

To what extent do worldgen/mission battles currently take gear into account? I understand that it's done at least in some basic sense, but does it just compare skill/quality/material or does it do some more complex calculations? For example, will a dwarf with a copper hammer have a good chance against an armoured opponent like he does in fort mode or will he lose because copper is a "bad" metal? And if I mod some overpowered 1-shot-kill weapon, will that be reflected in the battles or will it treat it like every other weapon?
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud: Hello Ago. Life is, in a word, death.
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud stabs you in the lower body with his iron scimitar, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the left kidney!
The iron scimitar has lodged firmly in the wound!

Battle Royale Mode: A DFHack Script

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 04, 2018, 09:28:00 am »

To what extent do worldgen/mission battles currently take gear into account? I understand that it's done at least in some basic sense, but does it just compare skill/quality/material or does it do some more complex calculations? For example, will a dwarf with a copper hammer have a good chance against an armoured opponent like he does in fort mode or will he lose because copper is a "bad" metal? And if I mod some overpowered 1-shot-kill weapon, will that be reflected in the battles or will it treat it like every other weapon?
When the raid system was introduced, equipment and skills started being taken into account. So a goblin with a copper helmet won't fare well against a dwarf with a steel axe in a duel.
However, tactics skill of the leader and terrain is also taken into account, so 10 goblins lead by a tactical master, will probably defend fairly well against 10 steel axe wielding dwarves lead by an incompetent buffoon.
I expect Toady can explain the exact calculations if that's what you need.

FrankVill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 04, 2018, 09:54:31 am »

For next release, will do concept villain influence in dwarf relationships? Currently, in fortress mode is frequent that there were friendship or love between dwarfs, but it is difficult seeying grudge or hostility among themselves. I believe that is a good oportunitue for exploring or adding some negative traits to relationships.

This thinking carries me to another cuestion; are or will are relationships mechanics and villain mechanics tightly united? Or do they got separated treatment in DF?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 04, 2018, 10:50:39 am »

For next release, will do concept villain influence in dwarf relationships? Currently, in fortress mode is frequent that there were friendship or love between dwarfs, but it is difficult seeying grudge or hostility among themselves. I believe that is a good oportunitue for exploring or adding some negative traits to relationships.

This thinking carries me to another cuestion; are or will are relationships mechanics and villain mechanics tightly united? Or do they got separated treatment in DF?

Grudges are reasonably frequent among the starting 7, at a guess somewhere about once every two embarks (and I've certainly seen two grudges among them, and have one in my current fortress).
Personal conflict would be a reason for a villainous plot, but I would expect most plots being based on goals other than personal relations (gaining power/wealth/...). Killing the cousin you don't like on the way to power would just be a fringe benefit (or a side project).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 04, 2018, 05:35:54 pm »

Grudges are reasonably frequent among the starting 7, at a guess somewhere about once every two embarks (and I've certainly seen two grudges among them, and have one in my current fortress).
Personal conflict would be a reason for a villainous plot, but I would expect most plots being based on goals other than personal relations (gaining power/wealth/...). Killing the cousin you don't like on the way to power would just be a fringe benefit (or a side project).
Loyalty, love and respect will be used (added?) to determine how much influence an agent can have over someone. Urist isn't likely to murder his mother for the sake of a bookkeeper's position. But he might happily betray some drunk he has a grudge against for a shiny amulet.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 04, 2018, 11:09:52 pm »

Do raids take into account creature size/growth? Cave dragons are hatched the size of foxes and grow until they're 1000 year old, when they are huge killing machines. Will my small, young cave dragons fight like full-grown cave dragons off map?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:09:28 am by TheFlame52 »

recneps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 04, 2018, 11:10:03 pm »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 04, 2018, 11:27:17 pm »

Do raids take into account creature size/growth? Cave dragons are the size of foxes until they're 1000 year old, after which they become huge killing machines. Will my fox-sized cave dragons fight like full-grown cave dragons off map?
Actually, they get gradually bigger and bigger, so a 999-year-old cave dragon will be of almost identical size to a 100-year-old cave dragon.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

a52

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes crows for their intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 05, 2018, 12:35:26 am »

Having experienced quite a lot of rather exotic ones, and being a programmer myself, I'm really passionate about bugs in Dwarf Fortress whenever I get back into it. What is the best way that I can help you fix them? Is posting on Mantis kind of the limit of what is useful for you/possible for me, or are there tools I could use to narrow down causes?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 05, 2018, 03:52:16 am »

Having experienced quite a lot of rather exotic ones, and being a programmer myself, I'm really passionate about bugs in Dwarf Fortress whenever I get back into it. What is the best way that I can help you fix them? Is posting on Mantis kind of the limit of what is useful for you/possible for me, or are there tools I could use to narrow down causes?
Toady doesn't know what to do with crash dumps, so the best is a Mantis report with as much relevant details as possible, and frequently a save that demonstrates it, in particular if the save is from just before the error is generated, so the error generation process can be followed (unfortunately, it's frequently the case that something went corrupt a lot earlier, so all he gets out of a save is "Yes, the data has been corrupted somehow").
The less time Toady needs to reproduce the error to examine it the more time he's got to do useful stuff (such as fixing the problem), and I wouldn't be surprised if a bug report that looks easy to reproduce is picked over one that requires more grinding to set up when everything else is equal.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 05, 2018, 09:45:59 am »

Do raids take into account creature size/growth? Cave dragons are the size of foxes until they're 1000 year old, after which they become huge killing machines. Will my fox-sized cave dragons fight like full-grown cave dragons off map?
Actually, they get gradually bigger and bigger, so a 999-year-old cave dragon will be of almost identical size to a 100-year-old cave dragon.
Are you sure that's how that works? I've never seen anything stating that and I can't find anything on the wiki.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #747 on: August 05, 2018, 10:04:44 am »

They have:
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:6000]
[BODY_SIZE:1000:0:15000000]
in the raws, so they do end up growing and growing until reaching the maximum average size at 1000 - they wouldn't be 6000 size at one point and then spontaneously 15000000 the next just because they're 1000 years old. Regular dragons work the same way.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 05, 2018, 10:08:10 am »

Okay then, I've never heard that before. I'll edit my question.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 05, 2018, 06:14:24 pm »

Are you sure that's how that works? I've never seen anything stating that and I can't find anything on the wiki.

Okay then, I've never heard that before. I'll edit my question.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Dragon#Dragon_Size
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 389