Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850077 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #750 on: August 06, 2018, 01:27:29 am »

Have you ever considered chopping the title down to just "Dwarf Fortress"?

Not that I would recommend it or think it's a good idea, I'm just curious if you ever actually had thought about it, and what those thoughts were.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: August 06, 2018, 01:54:13 am »

Not that I would recommend it or think it's a good idea, I'm just curious if you ever actually had thought about it, and what those thoughts were.

It's a pretty good idea. Since Armok is completely disregarded, and will stay like that forever.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 06, 2018, 01:57:53 am »

Ha. It does sound like in recent interviews like they're sightly embarrassed at the title..
Of course, in the grand scheme of things, a "final" version looks like it will contain plenty of non-dwarf, non-fortress focused play too. How about "Slaves to Toady One - A simulator".

But "Dwarf Fortress" is kind of cooler.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 02:00:39 am by Shonai_Dweller »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 06, 2018, 03:39:27 am »

It's a pretty good idea. Since Armok is completely disregarded, and will stay like that forever.

Could well just be [FORTRESS] since the dwarves aren't static either.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 06, 2018, 03:46:00 am »

Could well just be [FORTRESS] since the dwarves aren't static either.
Or fortresses...

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: August 06, 2018, 04:00:35 am »

Let's call it "Fantasy World Simulator". Quite accurate. Wait, with the increased modding support that will come at around full release, you could make it any setting. "World Simulator" then?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: August 06, 2018, 04:03:47 am »

Histories of [labor] and [vice]

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 06, 2018, 05:28:57 am »

[[The game that makes you lose really well]]

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 06, 2018, 05:36:41 am »

[[The game that makes you lose really well]]
With the magic arc, the hostility of worlds will be settable. So not applicable.

Renarin21

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 06, 2018, 05:48:57 am »

Some questions relating to the Myth Update:
1. In the prototype Myth Generator that was shown a while back, many of the innate magic systems involved the user drawing a Force that their race was linked to into themselves to use magic. Could an innate magic user use the Force as "fuel" for other magic outside of their innate capabilities?
2. Could another wizard seek to use objects/powers/whatever linked to the Force to manipulate it while it is "inside" of an innate wizard?
3. Would magic/soul eating critters be more attracted to innate magic users? More so when they are actually using their powers?
4. Kind of an extension of 1 and 2, could an innate wizard fuel other people's magic using a force?
5. Would a character channeling a force innately experience properties like weaknesses based on the force, outside of corruption? (like how were beasts have vulnerabilities while transformed)
6. Could a character try to find ways to draw power out of divine artifacts and whatnot, in a similar fashion to 1, 2, and 4?
7. Could supernatural devices be altered/corrupted?
8. If a race has some form of ancestor worship or something like that, and they are descended from a precursor race, could spirits of the precursor race show up alongside "normal" ancestors?
9. If people have innate magic from a supernatural ancestor, would those powers be self-contained, or would you have (at least in some situations) powers channeled from, and therefor reliant upon, the ancestor?
10. Would innate powers from an ancestor be based on what the ancestor can do, or would new powers be generated? (based on the mixing of the bloodlines or whatnot)
11. Could innate powers from an ancestor be extracted from blood or other bodily bits?
12. Would magical bloodlines be considered "blessed" or "cursed" based on the origin of the powers? (that guy is descended from a god we don't like, shun him!)

Edit:
b1. Will "sleeping" creatures be able to act during myth gen without/before waking up. Like their sleeping consciousness can do stuff outside the body, possibly with or without them realizing it?
b2. In the myth gen, the concept of souls as a microcosm was unveiled. That made me wonder, could the "souls" of some supernatural creatures (demons, spirits, ect.) function as "mini" planes of existence? I understand it would be a while before traveling to other planes isn't in the near future, but could there still be situations where a creature can store things like other souls, or even physical objects within themselves?
b3. Related to b2, could some creatures/races be created as an embodiment/manifestation of a given plane of existence?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 01:39:56 pm by Renarin21 »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: August 06, 2018, 06:03:47 am »

Some questions relating to the Myth Update:
1. In the prototype Myth Generator that was shown a while back, many of the innate magic systems involved the user drawing a Force that their race was linked to into themselves to use magic. Could an innate magic user use the Force as "fuel" for other magic outside of their innate capabilities?
2. Could another wizard seek to use objects/powers/whatever linked to the Force to manipulate it while it is "inside" of an innate wizard?
3. Would magic/soul eating critters be more attracted to innate magic users? More so when they are actually using their powers?
4. Kind of an extension of 1 and 2, could an innate wizard fuel other people's magic using a force?
5. Would a character channeling a force innately experience properties like weaknesses based on the force, outside of corruption? (like how were beasts have vulnerabilities while transformed)
6. Could a character try to find ways to draw power out of divine artifacts and whatnot, in a similar fashion to 1, 2, and 4?
7. Could supernatural devices be altered/corrupted?
8. If a race has some form of ancestor worship or something like that, and they are descended from a precursor race, could spirits of the precursor race show up alongside "normal" ancestors?
9. If people have innate magic from a supernatural ancestor, would those powers be self-contained, or would you have (at least in some situations) powers channeled from, and therefor reliant upon, the ancestor?
10. Would innate powers from an ancestor be based on what the ancestor can do, or would new powers be generated? (based on the mixing of the bloodlines or whatnot)
11. Could innate powers from an ancestor be extracted from blood or other bodily bits?
12. Would magical bloodlines be considered "blessed" or "cursed" based on the origin of the powers? (that guy is descended from a god we don't like, shun him!)

Most of these would depend on the world, but most sound quite basic, so maybe.

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: August 06, 2018, 06:46:45 am »

Are you ever afraid of disappointing people who see the Myth and Magic update as a "you can do literally anything!" game similar to what happened with games like Spore and No Man's Sky?
The update has been planned for such a long time and spawned quite the sizeable amount of questions and speculations which probably built up pretty high expectations in people.

Would you say you mainly develop DF for yourself or for the players or is it an even split?

Blaze_1711

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: August 06, 2018, 07:21:15 am »

How do you guys not get absolutely overwhelmed with the amount of ideas and contents this game has/will have? I'm developing my own roguelike and I get really overwhelmed with my own ideas.

You guys are geniuses by the way, you basically created a framework for multiple digital realities' simulation disguised as a game - it's basically a RPG/sim/strategy/god game toolset - all in one. You could have history classes about any single world's stories.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 07:26:04 am by Blaze_1711 »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: August 06, 2018, 08:34:33 am »

Are you ever afraid of disappointing people who see the Myth and Magic update as a "you can do literally anything!" game similar to what happened with games like Spore and No Man's Sky?
The update has been planned for such a long time and spawned quite the sizeable amount of questions and speculations which probably built up pretty high expectations in people.
The thing is, quite a bit of people outside of the fandom already think that DF is a "GAEM WHARE U CAN DO LITERLLAY EVRYTHING!1!!!11!!1!11!". The fandom does not see it as one. We know that Toady fulfills all of his content promises. We lose nothing.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: August 06, 2018, 08:37:10 am »

How do you guys not get absolutely overwhelmed with the amount of ideas and contents this game has/will have? I'm developing my own roguelike and I get really overwhelmed with my own ideas.

You guys are geniuses by the way, you basically created a framework for multiple digital realities' simulation disguised as a game - it's basically a RPG/sim/strategy/god game toolset - all in one. You could have history classes about any single world's stories.
Presumably the right mindset and a slow development pace to think everything through.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 389