Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851404 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #765 on: August 06, 2018, 03:33:43 pm »

Have you ever considered chopping the title down to just "Dwarf Fortress"?

Not that I would recommend it or think it's a good idea, I'm just curious if you ever actually had thought about it, and what those thoughts were.

I kind of suspect the title was intentionally chosen to be overly dramatic.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 06, 2018, 05:26:56 pm »

Have you ever considered chopping the title down to just "Dwarf Fortress"?

Not that I would recommend it or think it's a good idea, I'm just curious if you ever actually had thought about it, and what those thoughts were.

I kind of suspect the title was intentionally chosen to be overly dramatic.
Here he almost admit that (just after he explains where the idea of the game came to be):
https://youtu.be/CcrXFOjdzRk?t=10m50s

a52

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes crows for their intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 12, 2018, 03:07:17 pm »

Now that Fortress Mode is much more connected to the rest of the world, are you planning to have dwarves leave player fortresses if conditions get too bad/it no longer has a good profit/population ratio? Many real-word cities died out not because they were attacked, but because trade routes dried up and people simply left.

Of course, there would have to be ways for players to make sure certain dwarves were the least likely to leave -- perhaps dwarves that were very happy or made lots of money for the fortress would be much more likely to stay.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 03:15:19 pm by a52 »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #768 on: August 12, 2018, 08:10:04 pm »

There are a few concerns that will have to be approached before that dynamic can be addressed, I'm assuming. One big one is the presence of economies, and individual wellbeing, all while being measured to scale.
Hey, wait, actually...
I understand that reconciling fort mode and adventure mode having different time scales is a current ongoing project that is being considered tentatively. However, I just noticed that there might be an issue with it, particularly concerning the Economy update on the menu some few years for now. Do you happen to have any ideas on how to short term or long term approach an issue that will likely happen: that adventure mode food consumption would be much more rapid than dwarf/legend mode?
With an economy update, the cost of things like food would have much more significant implications on survival, populations, and the like, and it might force a rough and sudden transition in how adventure mode approaches foodstuffs and similar manners of consumption that don't make the 1:1 translation between modes.
One short term solution I can think of when the times come is for adventure mode to use smaller portions, so that an adventurer can eat at least one meal a day while fort mode dwarves can eat their two-months worth of foodstuffs in one sitting, as happens in dwarf mode currently.

PlatinumSun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 13, 2018, 01:00:16 pm »

If Toady adds in complicated fortress politics. I hope what ever Toady does theres always a toggle for the player to not have to deal with elections and dwarves uprising. Im fine if all other civs have all that but I dont want to be forced to deal with it. So as long as it can be toggled I dont mind.

I was told by KittyTac it might not possible to toggle (on thread in suggestions about governments) and said I should ask here.

EDIT: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171643.0

LINK TO THREAD
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 01:05:21 pm by PlatinumSun »
It will probably take you 10 seconds to read this digital text on your monitor. And then ponder its metaphorical meaning.

Slaves To Kek God Of Creation
Chapter II: Meme Magic

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 13, 2018, 01:35:53 pm »

@PlatinumSun: The thread convention is to mark questions to Toady in (lime) green to make it a little easier for him to locate the questions among the chaff when he answers them.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 13, 2018, 05:30:16 pm »

If Toady adds in complicated fortress politics. I hope what ever Toady does theres always a toggle for the player to not have to deal with elections and dwarves uprising. Im fine if all other civs have all that but I dont want to be forced to deal with it. So as long as it can be toggled I dont mind.

I was told by KittyTac it might not possible to toggle (on thread in suggestions about governments) and said I should ask here.

LINK TO THREAD
1) I think it's best that you're clear which part of development you're talking about when you ask your question (in lime green, like this) Suggestions thread on government types is just a suggestion thread.

2) Most everything in Df is moddable and will continue to be so. So disabling certain behavior should be possible.

3) Starting Scenarios Arc (in which politics are going to be covered) isn't going to even start development for at least 5 years probably. Chances are the details haven't been thought about in detail yet.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 13, 2018, 05:43:24 pm »

Where will we see these (tacky) villainous names show up?  I'm pretty sure we will see them if we start unraveling plots, but will we also see them when a death squad comes to put an end to our interference?  Will we hear of their alias when told of troubles ("Bloodmist the Evil sends his goons to harass us, but none know where he hails from" type of conversation)?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 13, 2018, 10:30:57 pm »

LINK TO THREAD

Lime green'ed for you.

Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 13, 2018, 10:32:01 pm »

LINK TO THREAD
1) I think it's best that you're clear which part of development you're talking about when you ask your question (in lime green, like this) Suggestions thread on government types is just a suggestion thread.

2) Most everything in Df is moddable and will continue to be so. So disabling certain behavior should be possible.

3) Starting Scenarios Arc (in which politics are going to be covered) isn't going to even start development for at least 5 years probably. Chances are the details haven't been thought about in detail yet.
However, I'm fairly sure that if you mod out elections, there won't be elections elsewhere.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 13, 2018, 11:36:39 pm »

LINK TO THREAD

However, I'm fairly sure that if you mod out elections, there won't be elections elsewhere.
Yeah, the general path of development is for your fortress to not act any differently from any other fortress. You'd only be able to turn off politics worldwide, the fortress won't ever exist in a vacuum. You'd end up with no migrants, no invaders, no visitors, no spies if that happened. Fine for big building projects of course (besides lack of migrants).

But I was going to save that for Toady to answer as there's probably subtle differences between player sites and other sites that need to stay even in the long-term.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #776 on: August 14, 2018, 09:16:59 am »

A question that came to mind regarding the mounts - do you think you'll implement a token that'd make it so that a creature cannot be mounted by other creatures past a certain size? It'd be to prevent ridiculousness like a gigantic demon overlord somehow "riding" a horse thats tiny in comparison.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #777 on: August 14, 2018, 01:39:01 pm »

You mentioned a dwarven mayor "unusually obsessed with intrigue."  Does this arise from the current personality traits and values, or a new factor?  Will the most intrigue-obsessed individuals carry out plans even when they don't care about the objective, just for the sake of plotting and scheming?

Villains can potentially infiltrate your fort by recruiting citizens, and even officials, but will masterminds also be able to arise within the fort on their own initiative?  Could a sneaky, ambitious dwarf establish and build a world-spanning conspiracy right under the player's nose, or will the network always start off-site (unless created by the player, of course)?
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 14, 2018, 02:16:01 pm »

Will all villains have "evil" motivations, or will some of them mean well? If so, will they still use the same tacky names as normal villains?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 14, 2018, 04:56:48 pm »

Will all villains have "evil" motivations, or will some of them mean well? If so, will they still use the same tacky names as normal villains?
To build off this: If the good folks aren't going to use those kinds of names... CAN they? Please?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 389