Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851322 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #840 on: August 30, 2018, 07:49:04 am »

I hope no-one would begrudge him taking a couple of months holiday during the worst weather if he wants to do that. Or just letting everyone know it's bad at a particular time of year and that things will be more quiet and slower than usual should be enough.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: August 30, 2018, 09:01:12 am »

If dwarf fortress has taught me anything, it is that by studiously lighting yourself on fire you can become immune to any ailment.

Have you looked into getting a proper AC?  If you only use it during the smoke season, it shouldn't cost that much to run and should make life much more bearable.

Last year I asked him about getting an AC and he thought it wouldn't be so useful to use it just a couple weeks for year. However smoke is a lot worse than heat and AC could help with a proper set up.

A vacation on August could work also. Everyone deserves vacations, Toady even more so.

Best wishes on the grandma recovery.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: August 30, 2018, 11:12:33 am »

Hope things go well for you, and that your grandmother will be alright.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #843 on: August 30, 2018, 08:31:57 pm »

That's not a question. Should it be green? Or does green mean "I am saying this to Toady and not just responding to another post"?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: August 30, 2018, 11:19:11 pm »

It's a threat. You see, the green denotes a question. Therefore, he is asserting that he is unsure if they will be alright, and the "hope" is a clear indicator that he intends to extort Toady for his valuables.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: August 31, 2018, 07:29:18 am »

extort Toady for his valuables giant desert scorpions.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: August 31, 2018, 10:32:02 am »

The giant desert scorpions he keeps locked away is clearly EXTREMELY valuable. This man intends to be a Prometheus figure to us, stealing fire from the gods. But the fire is scorpions.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: August 31, 2018, 03:57:48 pm »

Because if I express concern for a smol squishy biped fellow human being they will be less likely to hoard scorpions? XP
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Hellrazor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: August 31, 2018, 04:14:04 pm »

How much do you think you'll address stability issues before the big wait?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: August 31, 2018, 04:58:32 pm »

Kind of a vague question. Stability of what specifically? He's already been working on stabilizing a number of features over the course of this development cycle.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 05:42:15 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: August 31, 2018, 05:57:19 pm »

How much do you think you'll address stability issues before the big wait?
If you're talking about crashes, make sure they actually happen in vanilla df before you report them (don't forget that starter packs are almost always not vanilla df). I find the game to be completely stable right now in that sense.

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: September 01, 2018, 05:22:48 am »

What are your thoughts about how much information should be given to the player about what's going on inside the dwarves heads? I can guess why numeric values aren't given, but right now there are cases where you have a very stressed dwarf with no apparent big issues in their thoughts and identifying the stress source/s involves a lot of guessing based on how the system works right now. On the other hand, all this could be intended if the player shouldn't be able to know everything about their dwarves.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 06:39:30 am by Tinnucorch »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: September 01, 2018, 05:43:38 am »

What are your thoughts about how much information should be given to the player about what's going on inside the dwarves heads? I can guess why numeric values aren't given, but right now there are cases where you have a very stressed dwarf with no apparent big issues in their thoughts and identifying the stress source/s involves a lot of guessing based on how the system works right now. On the other hand, all this could be intended if the player shouldn't be able to know everything about their dwarves.
The current system isn't working or complete. It's not meant to be micromanagement hell once it's done.

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: September 01, 2018, 06:11:10 am »

The current system isn't working or complete. It's not meant to be micromanagement hell once it's done.

I'm already aware of that. My question was more on the line of what will be the role of the thoughts and preferences screen once things are properly working, because right now it's quite misguiding and because maybe the implementation of proper site goverment/administration could render that screen obsolete with dwarves actually making complaints, associating themselves to make requests and that stuff. Not that I'm suggesting it, just considering the possibility.

So, I figured out the actual question:

Right now the thoughts and preferences screen is the main tool the player has to control and manage happiness in the fort. Can we expect for this to change once proper site administrations are implemented and dwarves (individually or collectively and besides nobles) can make requests or demands?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 06:54:53 am by Tinnucorch »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: September 01, 2018, 06:27:21 am »

What do you think about adding (and playing as) oppressive systems of government?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 10:06:48 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 389