Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851521 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #930 on: September 17, 2018, 09:44:28 am »

What really lacks in Legend mode is the capacity to jump from one page to another, easily, like reading the history of a war from the page of someone who fought in it, or looking to the page of a daughter from the father, or of an organization from a city, etc...
But if you can manage to remember all the names and stuff, this kind of story is not unusual.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: September 17, 2018, 02:41:24 pm »

1. In one of the next two mini arches- adventuring parties and dynamic villains will our adventurers be able to learn about the relationships and histories of the people we meet? Currently asking about family only tells us about official relationships not stuff like love interests or affairs.
2. In the myth and magic update will possible magic include powers to learn about the histories of others without evening having to talk to them?
3. Further in the vain of personel histories would a possible kind of corruption in magical worlds include corruptions that replace one's memories of their life history with false ones? Like they don't remember their past correctly.
4. Will clothing and garments ever include pockets that can act as small containers we can use in adventure mode for small things like coins?

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: September 17, 2018, 02:57:40 pm »

Many things I'd like to see for relationships!
* Societal rules relating to multiple partners: Polyamory, Polygamy, Polyandry, Polygyny; with each civilization having their preferences in such concepts
* Societal rules relating to who raises the children: Both? Male parent? Female parent? Specialized "child raiser" professional? The whole village?
* Societal rules about whether it's acceptable to have children out of wedlock
* Whether marriage even exists formally or if people just happen to pair up (or group up) to live together. Or maybe even if they are perpetually solitary, which might mesh well with the idea of only one parent raising children.
* Societal rules about whether it's acceptable to divorce, remarry, have relations with other people when you have a spouse among other relationship issues.

I heard that there's some resistance to the idea, but adding sex as an action actors can do (just a simple "character x and character y mate/have sex") would make all of these very interesting and dynamic, especially with gossips, secrets, bragging, etc.   

Do Dorfs and other sentients have a concept of privacy?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: September 17, 2018, 03:03:31 pm »

Many things I'd like to see for relationships!
* Societal rules relating to multiple partners: Polyamory, Polygamy, Polyandry, Polygyny; with each civilization having their preferences in such concepts
* Societal rules relating to who raises the children: Both? Male parent? Female parent? Specialized "child raiser" professional? The whole village?
* Societal rules about whether it's acceptable to have children out of wedlock
* Whether marriage even exists formally or if people just happen to pair up (or group up) to live together. Or maybe even if they are perpetually solitary, which might mesh well with the idea of only one parent raising children.
* Societal rules about whether it's acceptable to divorce, remarry, have relations with other people when you have a spouse among other relationship issues.

I heard that there's some resistance to the idea, but adding sex as an action actors can do (just a simple "character x and character y mate/have sex") would make all of these very interesting and dynamic, especially with gossips, secrets, bragging, etc.   

Do Dorfs and other sentients have a concept of privacy?
Suggestions forum.

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: September 17, 2018, 03:14:28 pm »

*snip*
Suggestions forum.
This is in response to the latest devlog, it always seemed to me that discussion/reaction to devlogs was here
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 03:18:30 pm by Kiloku »

Real_bang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: September 17, 2018, 03:16:58 pm »

1. Will we be able to do wedding ceremonies in fort mode maybe in designated church or temple or any meeting place?
2. Will we encounter weddings in adventure mode past worldgen?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 03:18:55 pm by Real_bang »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: September 17, 2018, 04:17:35 pm »

*snip*
Suggestions forum.
This is in response to the latest devlog, it always seemed to me that discussion/reaction to devlogs was here
Yes. It can be.
But posting in lime green makes it a question for Toady to answer in the end of month q&a that also takes place in this thread. In which suggestions will tend to be directed to the suggestions thread. Better you know now than wait all month for 'maybe, sounds good, society arc is 5 years away. Write a suggestion because it'll be forgotten here'.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: September 17, 2018, 04:36:04 pm »

1. In one of the next two mini arches- adventuring parties and dynamic villains will our adventurers be able to learn about the relationships and histories of the people we meet? Currently asking about family only tells us about official relationships not stuff like love interests or affairs.
2. In the myth and magic update will possible magic include powers to learn about the histories of others without evening having to talk to them?
3. Further in the vain of personel histories would a possible kind of corruption in magical worlds include corruptions that replace one's memories of their life history with false ones? Like they don't remember their past correctly.
4. Will clothing and garments ever include pockets that can act as small containers we can use in adventure mode for small things like coins?

1: Probably. In order to exploit weaknesses/connections you typically have to know about them. I'd expect it to be a little harder than: "Hello gullible target! Please tell me about all your dirty secret so I can exploit them!". Alternative identities are definitely secret, but that doesn't mean it would be impossible to find out for a villain to exploit or law enforcement to catch a villain.
2: Not uncommon in fantasy, so the long term answer is probably that it should be possible, while the M&M arc response probably is "it's too early to say what's going to be in or not", unless it's definitely in the "later" category.
3: It probably ends up in the same hard to implement bucket as lies do. Forgetting is probably doable, though.
4: Ever is a very long time, so the answer is probably "yes, but no timeline".

1. Will we be able to do wedding ceremonies in fort mode maybe in designated church or temple or any meeting place?
2. Will we encounter weddings in adventure mode past worldgen?

1. That's probably one if the things temples are going to be used for once they're fleshed out. However, that's probably too far away from the relations net currently worked on to appear in this development arc.
2. Again, probably. Once these things are among the things temples do, they'll probably apply to both modes. And it's probably not in this arc (Law/customs, perhaps?).

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: September 17, 2018, 08:57:49 pm »

Will we ever get any tools or features to help deal with aquifers? Or is this meant to be an ever-present obstacle for the sake of realism?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: September 18, 2018, 01:42:04 am »

Will we ever get any tools or features to help deal with aquifers? Or is this meant to be an ever-present obstacle for the sake of realism?
Screwpumps, cave-ins, obsidianization, smoothing, and and wall building is present already, as is the option to embark where none are present, as well as to remove them altogether.

If you have suggestions for other tools to deal with aquifers it's probably better to suggest them in a suggestion thread. That said, changes to machinery may introduce things that might be used for aquifer piercing, and may change how a screw pump is constructed.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: September 18, 2018, 05:31:29 am »

All of those options require an excessive amount of work,  planning,  and/or cheating. I know some like the challenge but given that aquifers tend to dominate most of the landscape it would be better if there was just an easier way to work with them.  Maybe when the magic system gets implemented we can summon lava or something, I guess.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: September 18, 2018, 06:26:40 am »

Caveins don't always work, but I can't really imagine any way of summoning magma to be easier, up to and including magma pond designations.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: September 18, 2018, 08:16:23 am »

If the fortmode speed multiplication didn't apply to groundwater I think the main issues people have would disappear.

http://techalive.mtu.edu/meec/module04/GroundwaterSpeed.htm

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: September 18, 2018, 08:52:22 am »

Completely unrelated to anything you're working on now, what are your ideal plans for carrying items? Will there ever be volume restrictions? Physical encumbrance from anything besides armor/pure weight? Will "strapped to your body" items require string, sinew, or leather straps at some point in order to actually strap them on? Will adventurer item hauling (which sort of buggily exists) ever be more of a dragging across the ground thing, or a shoving to the next tile thing? What are your pie in the sky kind of hopes for it and what do you think are the big hurdles?

There's so many variations on this in other games and I know you usually go for the most realistic possible thing in a lot of situations. On the other hand since anything put in would probably have to be dealt with by the system once off-site items were better tracked, a lot of the more complicated systems in other games seem like they might overburden some of yours.

Will we get to set our adventurer's sexuality before the big wait?

Even if you don't make it to forming those relationships in adventure mode, having a player made villain tossed into the world while you're playing somewhere else would still be a lot cooler if they could be in a position to marry a monarch when you retire them. Or if you could just be a cool bisexual rat woman dragon slayer. I mean, that's the dream isn't it?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: September 18, 2018, 09:00:04 am »

Will there ever be volume restrictions? Physical encumbrance from anything besides armor/pure weight? Will "strapped to your body" items require string, sinew, or leather straps at some point in order to actually strap them on? Will adventurer item hauling (which sort of buggily exists) ever be more of a dragging across the ground thing, or a shoving to the next tile thing?
I hope not
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 389