Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851623 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #960 on: September 22, 2018, 07:31:14 pm »

It's the idea to eventually be able to play as dragons and such. I'm not sure if megabeasts count as "civilized" by virtue of being intelligent and sometimes extracting tribute from civilized creatures. If you mean being able to play as an animal, like a lion or something, I don't know if that sort of thing is planned. You could probably get pretty close by using DFhack in the current game though, so who knows!
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: September 22, 2018, 07:34:32 pm »

It's the idea to eventually be able to play as dragons and such. I'm not sure if megabeasts count as "civilized" by virtue of being intelligent and sometimes extracting tribute from civilized creatures. If you mean being able to play as an animal, like a lion or something, I don't know if that sort of thing is planned. You could probably get pretty close by using DFhack in the current game though, so who knows!
I think they meant tribal animal people.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: September 22, 2018, 07:59:46 pm »

Those WILL be civilized in their own way, it's just not really implemented yet.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: September 22, 2018, 08:07:06 pm »

Can relationships change over time? I'm thinking that rival athletes being thrown into war together and becoming war buddies is the plot of at least half a dozen movies.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: September 22, 2018, 08:47:40 pm »

You mean, differently from how they currently progress through the values?

(I don't know if someone could obtain a grudge against a friend with the now-changing personalities.)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: September 22, 2018, 09:29:04 pm »

You mean, differently from how they currently progress through the values?

(I don't know if someone could obtain a grudge against a friend with the now-changing personalities.)
I mean in worldgen. War Buddy and Lecture-Pal don't seem to have a distinct "progression" between one another. Is one more friendly than the other? Are either more/less than "friend"? Seems that the new system has a more open relationship setting based on actual events.

Hence, if in 125 two dorfs became rival athletes, would this prevent them becoming war buddies several years later (thus being unable to recreate a fairly common story trope)? Or does one replace the other? Or do they get both relationships?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 09:33:59 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #966 on: September 23, 2018, 03:31:44 am »

Athletic competitions were limited to intra-civilization participation, which wasn't great for forming links, so I looked at the trade routes and diplomatic state. Now a competition which occurs in a city linked to another peaceful civilization by trade can accept competitors from that civilization. After that was implemented, we even had a dwarf and elf become friends, before the war started. Of course, they bonded over a foot race, which the elf won, which didn't seem entirely fair in retrospect.
Very exciting!
Do athletic events have any consideration for the body attributes and skills of those participating? Similarly, is anything on the short term chopping block of fleshing out such events (actor-audience veneration style relationships, etc) in the short term, or are they largely thematic placeholders for now, to get the inter-social network of the world more depth for the villain-plot related arcs?

Another question: concerning "villainous plots", are the long term plans for these specifically to develop antagonists that can make clearly defined epics that the player can easily role play into? Or will the moralities and intentions of ambitious individuals start to become more ambiguous and diverse as ongoing development gives such actors more reasons to perform at odds with larger authorities?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: September 23, 2018, 04:00:41 am »

All this long wait, and now the game is slowly filled with exciting content. I'm really happy with the last devblogs. Good job !

amymist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: September 24, 2018, 05:57:18 pm »

I think they meant tribal animal people.
Nah, I just meant something like playing a giant leopard and terrorizing the local populace. I do appreciate the answers, though!

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: September 24, 2018, 06:13:39 pm »

Quote from: DF Devlog 2018-09-22
In particular, I'm almost feeling ready for Villain Conspiracy Attempt #2, but I'll likely toy around a bit more with crime and garden-variety corruption to make the situation even more amenable to larger-scale bad deeds and blackmail.

Yes, but what have you been doing on the game?  :D

(I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: September 24, 2018, 06:32:29 pm »

With the implication of multiple (before, the different states only reacted with themselves in peacetime and often had no knowledge of others without a war or player fortress trading/buggy hill dwarf links) trade routes, introductions and bondings mean that we will have positive relations (to ruin with dwarven ingenuity and game exploits like petty goods seizing, raiding etc.) that might repair themselves over time while things happen off map during the process of a non worldgen fortress?

And one small side question, is "the master of beasts" a implicit nod towards the defunct beastmaster noble or just coincidentally a fancy title name for this variable position padding out?

With so much war, diplomacy is a bit lacking, nice to see even if just worldgen something is being done and we might yet see the power of mutual friendship between leaders colluding their spy networks to prevail over evil plotting and schemes to divide them purposefully. Medieval NATO or the UN.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 06:34:29 pm by FantasticDorf »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: September 24, 2018, 08:20:26 pm »

You mentioned thinking of upgrading necromancer and bandit lairs to be more extensive, but have you considered something similar for vampires or is that not on the roadmap for the upcoming updates?

Is a new civ/site type at all possible in the (relatively) near future? Not particularly expecting it but I've just been thinking about how a nomadic/tent-dwelling civ might function with the new mount mechanics.

If civs have flying mounts will they make contact with normally unreachable civs?

Will innate skills/stat boosts affect adventure mode party creation costs?
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: September 24, 2018, 09:22:09 pm »

Will it ever be possible to control non-civilized entities?
Toady's plan is to implement a framework for a variety of embark scenarios, from your standard fortress to a roadside inn to a penal colony and so on; as such, I see no reason that primitive tribes wouldn't be supported, at least with modding.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: September 24, 2018, 10:04:09 pm »

Will innate skills/stat boosts affect adventure mode party creation costs?
Will be nice just to get these working for adventurers for a start. [Natural_Skill] doesn't work right now at all, possibly some others too.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9280
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 10:05:47 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: September 24, 2018, 10:17:57 pm »

Because it kinda fits with Squamous' questions:
When could NPC sites become moddable?
I think that if sites were moddable, you could ultimately save development time by essentially outsourcing the design work of NPC sites to community members who would probably come up with some interesting stuff. Of course, I know nothing about the code behind NPC sites, so I have no idea how difficult it would be to make them moddable, but could this potentially become more achievable after the map rewrite in the magic update?

Edit:
While we're on this topic, could you maybe give a little insight into how you code the procedural generation for sites like NPC dwarven fortresses?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 01:43:42 pm by Death Dragon »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 389